DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules IX

Dolfan in NYC

Really good opener with Miz/Ambrose. Great near falls and a lot of time. Maryse awesome as always, loved her doing the Yes! chant along to Miz's kicks. Though the finish was amusing with the ref threatening to DQ Ambrose then sees he got laid out so he decides screw it might as well 3 count him down instead. I love an Alexa Bliss squash match. Cage match was fast paced and pretty fun overall. Figured the Hardyz had to lose after being unbeaten for two months.

Aries/Neville delivered big time for me, awesome match once again from them. They've been the bright spot of the division and made the dreadful beginnings of the division worth it. I was torn going in since I want a long Neville reign but also really wanted to see Aries win and feel he's the only guy that should do it. Loved the finishing stretch here. Did feel disappointed for Aries not eventually getting to win it as there's no one else I'd rather see beat Neville. Main event was good with a lot going on at all times. Shocked by the result as I felt Joe had little to no chance going in but very glad to see it. Joe/Brock should be off the charts.

54 minutes ago, JCM said:

I know lapsed/casual fans, and I can assure you Bayley isn't worth one Alexa Bliss to most of the main roster audience. I don't get how Bayley is star powered. Sasha has got more over and came off like a bigger star. Charlotte comes off as a way bigger star. Becky is a better wrestler and talker and more over. NXT caught lightning in a bottle with Bayley's run. We all knew this was likely to happen on the MR. It's a different fan base. American Alpha are non over jobbers on SDL. The fans turned on a good Neville/Aries match. We're not in Full Sail anymore Toto.

37 minutes ago, JCM said:

I remember the Bayley/Asuka matches being competitive. Based on the WWE fans I know there's more money and star potential in Bliss. She has cover girl looks, is a good athlete, and the best talker in the women's division. Bayley got over in front of a very small(compared to the MR) audience, and she hasn't clicked with the 85% of the main audience that didn't see her NXT work.

27 minutes ago, username said:

I've said this before, but as bad as the booking around Bayley has been on Raw it's not like she's been doing much better herself.  She has been dreadful on the mic and mediocre in the ring.  The booking has been worse, but if this is the best she has to offer on the main roster I'm not sure that good booking would be enough.

Agreed 100% with these three posts. The "starpower" of Bayley has always been over inflated to a ridiculous degree before even coming up to the main roster. Outside of those Sasha matches, I have never seen anything there. Sasha definitely screamed star way more though she's fallen far from where she once was as far as that goes. Bliss all day any day.

You don't have to be a Bayley fan to realize how badly she's been booked into the ground and how that shouldn't have happened.  Yeah, she's gotta work on promos.  But they made her look like an absolute doofus for this entire feud. Where is she supposed to go after this?  Not to mention that the RAW women's division doesn't have one over babyface now. (Sasha is leaning into tweener territory and will be heel soon)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

WWE branded hot sauce on the way? 

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S BOLD!

(haven't even watched the show yet, just wanted to post this.)

• Like 3

Worst part of Bayley/Alexa was Bayley doing that crap where she stares at the cane for what feels like five minutes. Then she manages to not hit Alexa once and get pinned.Alexa has not gotten one person over since her push began.  Minus Naomi, women are less over after working with her. 

Main event has its moments, But I have seen 2000 era Hardcore matches that are more extreme. 

I think Joe and Bray would make a really good team. Unlike Sheamus and Cesaro who after all this time are still not a good team. Both are great singles wrestlers but as a team they blow. 

Joe vs Brock will probably blow as  Brock sleep walks his way thru suplex city. 

• Like 4

Ooh they're actually giving us Joe Vs Brock. Smart, given that's the one match that can be an extended squash yet deliver something people want to see AND get both guys over (Brock hasn't wrestled a proper match since Summerslam).

Presumably Joe is going to smack some midcarders around for a few weeks. Do we get Henry Vs Joe, Show Vs Joe. Hopefully.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sin Carne said:

I think that point about Bliss not getting anyone over but herself is a good one. She's a midget with no offense. It's pretty hard to lose to her repeatedly and not look like shit.

You sir are a scholar and a saint. 

Speaking of people who got no one over. 

Alexa is the spiritual heir to AJ Lee.

• Like 6

The problem I find with Alexa feuds is that the build up always involves her telling the face that they're losers... then cleanly beating them to prove this to be the case. It'd be one thing if it was Charlotte saying this, as she's clearly an incredible athlete, but at the moment Alexa is not particularly good in the ring, so no-one comes out looking good. I mean, Becky is arguably the best main roster worker, and I don't think they ever cracked ***. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

The problem I find with Alexa feuds is that the build up always involves her telling the face that they're losers... then cleanly beating them to prove this to be the case. It'd be one thing if it was Charlotte saying this, as she's clearly an incredible athlete, but at the moment Alexa is not particularly good in the ring, so no-one comes out looking good. I mean, Becky is arguably the best main roster worker, and I don't think they ever cracked ***. 

As much as I enjoy Alexa, this has proven to be true. She's a good talker and great with character stuff but the rest has just fully come together yet. In-ring, she's not at the level of dominating her opponents and it does nothing but hurt them. She should be employing every underhanded trick that she can to win her matches.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Even if Joe vs. Lesnar gets like 10 minutes, I hope it's just 10 minutes of high impact moves and intense suplexes.

A 10-12 min version of Goldberg vs. Brock from this year's Mania would work perfectly.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Funny, but I just heard about her segment with Alexa Bliss last Monday and remembered this bet. I was ready to concede then, tbh.

It was not a bet I wanted to win. 

I'll find you five matches. Not all will be terrible. 

Won't lie, I skipped out on half the show (mostly because someone apparently hit a power pole here in Marysville and knocked out power for an hour - at least my UPSes survived long enough for me to cleanly shut everything down).   I don't feel I missed anything.

Enjoyed the open - as usual, Miz is carrying everyone with being the only one on the roster willing to be an actual fucking heel.  Popped for him finally hitting the D-Bry knee and wish it was the finish, but I liked the actual finish as well.

Enjoyed the finish to Neville-Aries - Neville is on a completely different level in his ringwork and poise as a heel, and if there's one bright point in the scarlet letter that is 205 Live, it has to be him.

I am not a New Japan homer, and I hate to be the guy saying "the matches at the BOSJ final were so much more crisply worked that it makes this five-way look slow, plodding and boring" but.. there you go.  I'm glad Joe went over but it's not like he's beating Brock, and after Brock v. Ambrose was a complete and utter disappointment on all levels, I don't expect this to suddenly change.  I hope I'm wrong and we get Brock v. Joe as the second coming of Frye-Takayama.

I gave up on the RAW's women's division a long time ago

I gave up on RAW pretty much since the shakeup

Best decision I have made in awhile was not watching a second of this show

• Like 5