DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 109: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira (5/28/2017) - Stockholm, Sweden (Ericsson Globe)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Stockholm_Gustafsson_vs.

UFC Fight Night 109: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira
May 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden (Ericsson Globe)

Alexander Gustafsson (205) vs. Glover Teixeira (206) - Gustafsson, KO (punch), R5 (1:07)
Volkan Oezdemir (206) vs. Misha Cirkunov (206) - Oezdemir, KO (punch), R1 (0:28)
Peter Sobotta (171) vs. Ben Saunders (168) - Sobotta, TKO (strikes), R2 (2:29)
Abdul Razak Alhassan (170) vs. Omari Akhmedov (171) - Akhmedov, DEC (split)
Oliver Enkamp (170) vs. Nordine Taleb (170) - Taleb, DEC (unanimous)
Jack Hermansson (186) vs. Alex Nicholson (185) - Hermansson, TKO (punches), R1 (2:00)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Pedro Munhoz (136) vs. Damian Stasiak (134) - Munhoz, DEC (unanimous)
Trevor Smith (186) vs. Chris Camozzi (186) - Smith, DEC (unanimous)
Reza Madadi (156) vs. Joaquim Silva (156) - Silva, DEC (split)
Nicholas Musoke (171) vs. Bojan Veličković (170) - Veličković, TKO (punches), R3 (4:37)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Darren Till (176)* vs. Jessin Ayari (170) - Till, DEC (unanimous)
Marcin Held (156) vs. Damir Hadžović (156) - Hadžović, KO (knee), R3 (0:07)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Damir Hadžović
Performance of the Night: Bojan Veličković
Fight of the Night: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Glover Teixeira

Attendance: 12,668
Gate: $1.92 million
Rating: 496,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Magnus Cedenblad vs.Chris Camozzi - Cedenblad Withdrew From Bout
Emil Weber Meek vs. Nordine Taleb - Injury to Meek
Christian Colombo vs. Damian Grabowski - Injuries to Both Fighters
Mairbek Taisumov vs. Joaquim Silva - Injury to Taisumov (Knee)

The fight pass prelims should be good, Pedro Munhoz is always entertaining, Hermansson vs. Nicholson should be a fun brawl, Alhassan vs. Akhmedov and Sobotta vs. Saunders should be at least decent, Cirkunov is fighting another prospect so that should be entertaining, and of course the main event.

Also, for those living stateside, this is a Sunday afternoon show.

This is one of those make some really solid fights and get some international fighters bouts to fulfill contractual obligations. Also, continue rehabbing Gustafsson and get him a good name of his resume. Nothing blow away in terms of rankings implications and matchmaking, but I expect a pretty watchable card.

Also, I can do some stuff afterwards once the card finishes. That's always good.

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, I can do some stuff afterwards once the card finishes. That's always good.

glad you said this. i tend to forget about sunday/afternoon cards.

and i'm sure the show will be a fun watch, just commenting on the lack of starpower.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

glad you said this. i tend to forget about sunday/afternoon cards.

and i'm sure the show will be a fun watch, just commenting on the lack of starpower.

No, that's fine.

I think they feel like this would've been a Fight Pass show if they didn't have a Fox obligation. In that case, I would have seen worse Fight Pass cards.

Going back to the Fairfax show (Mendes vs. Lamas) and the Manila show (Edgar vs. Faber) from a couple years ago around this time, I think the ceiling for afternoon shows in terms of ratings is between 500-600k. Those two main events were pretty strong in terms of anticipation (granted Fairfax was 389k avg). If you're going to do a late morning/afternoon card for US viewers, you're going to need a stronger main event even if a main event like this is mostly for local fans. The starpower underneath is always going to vary depending on the locale so that's kinda what it is. However, you will need to solidify the very top of the card regardless.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2017 at 11:13 PM, twiztor said:

man, talk about a one fight card. not much for the casuals on this one.

On 22/05/2017 at 5:10 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Sometimes these are the cards that turn out to be awesome when it comes to the fights.

Agree with the both of you. With lowered expectations, above it is a bonus.

Hoping for Gustafsson win with how close he came to becoming the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. I thought Gus' beat Jones at UFC 165 in one of the best ever MMA fights.

• Like 1

Poor Marcin Held. He was winning the fight despite getting wobbled a couple times but then eats the well timed knee diving for the Imanari roll to start the final round.

52 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Darren Till is definitely someone they could use frequently on UK and Brazil cards. He's very charismatic and a good, entertaining fighter.

I thought the same thing with the dual Brit living in Brazil (and speaking  Portuguese) angle. TBH, that's probably where he should be - fighting low - mid card on the international events. He's got a ton of holes in his game but is still young enough and shouldn't be thrown in there with a top 20 fighter for a couple more years. I thought his opponent tonight was a perfect match-up for him. He was far from a push-over and gave him a decent test.

• Like 1

With Cirkunov getting short circuited in less than 30 seconds, this performance and knockout win pretty much clinched the title shot for Gustafsson. He landed like every uppercut he threw against Glover.

They can make Manuwa vs. Oezdemir for the 2nd spot behind Gustafsson.