DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

And yeah that setup for the merch table was terrible.  I feel really bad for anyone who had to wait in that line.

Someone posted a video of the merch line before the intermission and all I could say was "Fuck that shit." 

• Like 2

I'm not really getting the ZSJ hate, outside of the pro-Corbyn meta bullshit he started to incorporate into his entrance since the last UK general election, he's the perfect candidate to be the winner given he lives in the States now and as noted is booked all year round. As much as Juice brought it, Zack had his working boots on last night

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

I think Zack might win it based on how strong they put him over Juice Robinson. The fact that he works the US a ton might be what they want. He can carry the belt with him everywhere.

Juice had been getting a decent push and Sabre basically toyed with him the whole match. It was basically a glorified wrestling practice for him last night.

13 hours ago, EVA said:

I do feel like Elgin ultimately kinda buries himself in these big matches.  He did the same thing in the Naito match: hit this insane death march of offense for a 2 count.  Like JR said tonight in his one moment of cogent thought after the super splash mountain, if he can't win with that, what can he win with?

Elgin is a good big man, but he's limited. He doesn't have the wrestling skills that Dr. Death had to expand his move-set.

15 hours ago, EVA said:

Like JR said tonight in his one moment of cogent thought after the super splash mountain, if he can't win with that, what can he win with?

God, I've had this same thought after so many indy matches....

...usually followed by "...that was the finish?  That?"

Elgin first beat Naito with a burning hammer, so that's the thing he could win with, most likely. The thing about getting a  big match finisher though, is you necessarily devalue all the moves a tier below. (Which is why it's interesting to me that Omega has kept the OWA so protected for so long; and conversely, how Okada's managed to avoid finisher escalation, even while the rainmaker is nowhere near a sure winner on its own anymore.)

• Like 1

I just caught up on last night's show.  It was pretty good.  I loved Juice/ZSJ,  Ishii/Naito and Omega/Elgin.  I thought Omega was the performer of the night.  Cody and Okada was solid but I'm still not feeling Cody vs. The World right now.  

I think ZSJ caught a lot of hate here because he was SO hyped up for years and then came into the CWC and was probably a bottom 15 guy.  He really didn't click in that tournament. But I have seen him have good matches, I loved his match last year against Hero. 

Now on to watch night 2....  

I caught the end of Sabre/Juice and still saw that Sabre does the annoyingly terrible dumb facial expressions when selling. He just sits up after taking a big move and does that dumb ass face, and it takes me out of the match every time. Really good offensive wrestler(if you can buy a skinny giraffe man beating people up) but terrible on defense. This style just isn't for me I was done with 2.9's after the Naito match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricR said:

I was out all day yesterday, but figured I would "live" blog this 24 hours later. Don't know the results or much of the card, but why not. Giants actually swept two series in a row somehow, so I'm in a good mood. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/07/njpw-g1-special-in-usa-night-1-next-day.html

I love that your initial reaction to the opener was almost the exact same reaction I had in this thread: 30 seconds is all it takes to fucking hate Marty Scurrl.

• Like 2

Losing my shit here with Milano yelling "sexy!" after Jay White got into this match. Show has been a blast so far. ZSJ for March Madness 18 that isn't happening. 

Guest Edwin

Just reading the thread to see what this has been like... Doesn't too great or at least must watch.

Just to add my bit as to why I dislike ZSJ, I wrote a bit about during WM weekend, here's my thoughts on him:

Watching ZSJ vs. Mark Haskins from the WWN Supershow. Man ZSJ's matches are tough to sit through. He seems to pride himself as this complex grappler, but I just don't see it. As I said the last time around, if he's going to pride himself as a grappler, he really should get some tips from Riddle or take a BJJ class at least.

I don't mind guys with horrendous business exposing grappling as much as I do in this case as they usually don't build themselves around that, but ZSJ to me seems like he does and it's horrible.

I know it sounds like I'm picking on ZSJ and I know someone will bring it up, but I'm really not. If you build yourself on something, try and come off as a genuine and good as possible.

He seems to be more focused on cute submission attempts than on effective subs.

His strikes are particularly weak looking too. Haskins leg kicks seemed far more effective than his. I also caught that clip of him "killing" Chris Hero from PWG and those "stomps" looked more like he was just caressing Hero's head with his foot than anything else. He still doesn't posses the weakest/fakest striking in wrestling though, that's Michael Elgin's claim by a long shot with his blatant thigh slapping.

Another thing that irks me about ZSJ is how many times I've heard people compare his matches to that of MMA fights. That's just wrong on so many levels. If anything, ZSJ reflects the entire opposite.

I personally don't find him appealing at all, but I can't say I blame him as he's built a solid fanbase so more power to him.

24 minutes ago, EVA said:

I generally dislike ZSJ, but it must be said, he had a really good weekend, even though he looked as preposterous as expected anytime he tried to strike Ishii.

That's why he went down for pretty much every one of Ishii's strikes and Ishii didn't even register his.

The Jr. tag match was really awkward because the 2v1 scenario doesn't work if it's the more over babyfaces playing the numbers game. Loved the Meltzer call out.

And where's the awkward Shane Douglas "HE'S SHOOTING" clip when you need it? That Ricochet promo was a hilarious mess and I kind of dug it. I'm a super LU fan but they've dicked over their wrestlers long enough.

They needed a "name" american to Co-Main the spot, although at this point, NJPW sells itself and didn't need an American name, as the Japanese guys are more over than the Americans on the card.

Now let us never speak of Billy Gunn Semi-Maining a NJPW card in 2017 again.

The way JR and Barnett have been as subtle as a sledgehammer this weekend, I'm totally calling tonight is the Bullet Club split.