DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

Not sure why people are surprised by JR terrible commentary.  I mean the last live thing he has done was probably WM and do you really need to have to prepare for a Underaker vs Roman Reigns match.   The UK stuff wasn't live commentary and the Mae Young stuff won't be live commentary either

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Not sure why people are surprised by JR terrible commentary.  I mean the last live thing he has done was probably WM and do you really need to have to prepare for a Underaker vs Roman Reigns match.   The UK stuff wasn't live commentary and the Mae Young stuff won't be live commentary either

Not surprised but seeming as this was live, I thought he'd have prepared just a little bit. I haven't really dug him consistently since Austin retired. Seems really jaded, though I suppose it's hard to blame him with all the shirt he's endured. 

29 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Not surprised but seeming as this was live, I thought he'd have prepared just a little bit. I haven't really dug him consistently since Austin retired. Seems really jaded, though I suppose it's hard to blame him with all the shirt he's endured. 

the fucker just mentioned a guy who killed his wife in the last day or two and we are expecting him paying attention to New Japan wrestlers :lol:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

It took Scurrl inside of 30 seconds to make me start hating him tonight.  That must be some kind of record, even for him.

Allow me to suggest that the phrase "X-Pac heat" be retired in favor of "Scurll heat".

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

the fucker just mentioned a guy who killed his wife in the last day or two and we are expecting him paying attention to New Japan wrestlers :lol:

In all fairness, I would expect JR to be surprised to learn that Jackie Pallo and Mick McManus are no longer wrestling.

I'll be damned... Billy Gunn wrestles just like he did twenty years ago!

Of course, he wasn't any good then, either.

• Like 5

At least Juice vs. ZSJ saved the first half. That was really fucking good and both guys were really over. Most of the tag stuff was fine, particularly after I switched over to the Japanese commentary.  I love Kushida looking a little surprised that the crowd was just as into him as they were Tanahashi, if not more so.

It was really bad. I just changed the channel. My exact words were actually "they might shitcan that match tomorrow", as in not even air it. 

Missed the openers due to a post-dinner nap so I'll try and pick up here. Mad that I missed Juice and Liger, how was the pop for Liger?

I'll update this as I go

WAR MACHINE/GUERILLAS OF DESTINY: Holy shit Tanga Roa almost has early Rocky hair! Not a great look. Rowe asks for no-DQ and gets popped with the mic for his troubles. GOD should use their daddy as plunder, they'd win in moments. Tanga's no-selling until he finally crumples is definitely NOT Kawada. Match was pretty bad with one neat spot, where one of GOD gets slammed on his partner who was on all fours as a stepping block for a corner crossbody. Okay, the legdrop hit at the same time as the slam through the table so I'll give 'em that, too. 

ISHII/NAITO: Naito's greasy fist puts a mark on the camera lens, haha. I like him telling a fan who wants a fistbump "tranquilo" too. Fucking Red Shoes mugs behind Naito's back like he's gonna punch him after being threatened, go back to your amateur theater troupe Red Shoes. Ishii looks more pissed than usual. Not a good sign... AH HA! We have Bloody Mouth #1 of the evening! I'm surprised it's Naito instead of Ishii. Naito is doing a good job at using his speed and technicality against Ishii's meat-chopping. Ishii's really selling his head/neck. Naito spits BLOOD at Ishii which makes that spot even more disgusting and he gets headbutted and powerbombed for his mistake. His lariats sound like someone hitting a homer. I did not at all expect this but Ishii wins with the brainbuster and I'm psyched. ZSJ vs. Ishii? Wow, that's a weird mismatch right there. Gedo's fucking with us. Not a high-end match but pretty solid. One little thing that nobody ever mentions is how good Ishii's kickouts are. It's such a small thing but he knows how to do a 2.5 better than most anyone. 

ELGIN/OMEGA: It's Canadian v Canadian on Canada Day! Again, Gedo laughs. The crowd boo Elgin, I guess because 75% of them are wearing Bullet Club gear. They do a neat spot where Elgin catches an Asai moonsault, goes to splat Omega on the ramp but he responds by skidding off his back and doing a leg lariat bulldog (!). Then they almost blow the 20 count and Red Shoes sticks his fingers in his ears, go figure. Elgin looks winded as hell. God, does even HE have to do thigh-slaps? We get our apron spot in with a German on the apron confirming once again that Kenny is certifiable. Then there's a Razor's Edge off the top which... doesn't... get... a... pinfall... Okay then. They do a bunch of knees and a fucked-up Styles Clash and Omega barely gets Big Mike up for the OWA for the pin. Not like I didn't expect any of that. These guys have a way better match in them. 

OKADA/CODY: Cody has guys dressed in suits with president masks on and his wife tries to light a cigar for him. Which he pretends to put out on his arm. Some American Nightmare, I like the president mask idea and the patchwork flag/saddle robe though. The crowd HATES him. So much for those Bullet Club shirts! One fan holds up a fan of bills at the camera as Okada came up which made me laugh. Barnett mentions jet lag and I'm like "Okada's been eating at In-N-Out Burger all week, do your research". And hey, Barnett, WE FUCKING REMEMBER WRESTLING AND ROMANCE, FUCK OFF. I love you but don't diss my WAR. Cody's fine at getting heat and facial expressions, he can sell and bump fine, but there's something missing. He does hit a nice armdrag off the top and pulls out a Calf Slicer. Then he does something as stupid as slapping a guy that just got done fighting Shibata and gets a Shibata-esque response. Cody spits in his face when he goes for the Rainmaker so Okada hits two... and Omega walks out with a towel like in Okada/Omega II? Oooo, tension. Cody actually hits a better Rainmaker than Okada! Why am I not surprised? Okada responds by stealing the Cross Rhodes, which looks like he drives their faces together on the replay. Cody waits a loooooong time before trying to do the OWA on Okada but he just gets Tombstoned and Rainmade for his effort. That was about as best as it could have been, I guess. Cody made an effort but when this run is over he'll be Stardust again in no time. 

Okada and Gedo speak some English, Okada's is better than Gedo's and Gedo has been around ten times longer haha

As I said I missed about half the show. This was underwhelming and I think they tried to Anglicize what the fans would prefer to be more representative of what they watch regularly. Night two will probably be better. 

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, this has AXS production fingerprints all over it, down to the way the lighting looks. Unfortunately they haven't done pro wrestling before. 

Well they have done wrestling before but I assume the people that were doing ROH TV during the HDNet days were fired years ago.

The camera shots are different which I don't mind, it's seems more MMA like. The set looks like the ROH set which makes sense. The camera guys missed some stuff and the music has been off all night.

Barnett admitted on Austin's podcast that he doesn't do any research before the recorded shows so I assume it wouldn't be too much different for the live show. I assume JR is not doing any research at this point either.

Whew thank god Okada won  

So it looks like the already doing the tension between Cody and Omega angle.  I mean seriously they did the Cole/Scurill one about 2 month ago.   Oh well I guess they have to figure out the #1 contender for the ROH title 

The "reporter" asking the questions at the Okada "press conference" sounds like a 6-year-old boy. This is slightly awkward. And then very little translation on top of it..

So there is a video of the "altercation" with cody and Omega but you can't hear ANY of it because they are playing Okada post match stuff over it.  Never seen that in watch press conferences from New Japan before.

Are we sure they aren't using the same people from ROH HDNet days.  :unsure: