DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

I guess Ishii is the new Goto? Are they gonna just form a tag team and lose all the time? Because for fuck's sake, if anybody deserved the rub it was him and not Kenny. Putting him through all that and having him lose is quite the deflating balloon. 

I have no desire to ever see it again, but I have to admit there was something fascinating about watching Tanahashi basically work a WWE midcard match.

Almost like it was an audition.  "See?  I can work underwhelming matches against greasy blonde Americans, too!"

• Like 7

I was watching MST3K for most of the night, so I missed a lot of the show.  I tuned in just in time to see Tanahashi's ass.  

That might have been the highlight of the show for me, sadly.  I did not care for the main event.  That table spot was ridiculous, and should have led to the end of the match.  So of course, it was a nearfall, and the match went on for 15 more fucking minutes.

And why the fuck do wrestlers agree to do spots were they have to kick out of their own finishers?  Protect your shit, FFS.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If they give it to Jay Lethal I'm throwing things.

Streamers?

Meanwhile, it's good to know that Billy Gunn Still Sucks. Twas the go to shout out for me and my friends when we went to WWF involved shows for the longest time. 

• Like 2

So they really are going all in on Omega as the North American audience's (f)ace. I suppose there's something to be said for just putting the belt on the most over guy, and seeing what happens. Incredible match to crown him, also. 

• Like 2

Main event had a neat opening 5-10 minutes followed by a relatively dull 10 minutes and a blow away last 10 minutes. 

The Billy Gunn match lived up to the hype. Killed the crowd and it sucked. Thankfully nobody got hurt in that dog shit taco. 

Rest of the card was really fun. Damn good couple of shows but they can do better and I think they will next year. I'm calling it now. Kenny stays, wins the belt at the Dome and defends in an arena (maybe a smaller one) in America next year. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Kenny kicking out of the OWA.  It's not the OWA that is deadly... it's Kenny Omega hitting the OWA that's deadly.  Fantastic work from both men.  Great show.  If Ishii had won I'd have no issue with it but this was well deserved,  it was basically a consolation prize for Omega at this point because he probably should have beaten Okada... even though I'm fine with the story they are telling between those two. 

• Like 2

I loved Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. It was like a clash in styles match that actually worked really well.

Great main event. Kenny Omega is the best wrestler in the world today. Ishii vs. Omega was definitely one of the best matches I've seen live.  I didn't see the full impact of that Dragon Suplex off the apron, how gnarly was it on the video feed?

The visual was great and it looked like the table at least broke some of Ishii's fall. I would have been 100% okay with Omega not being able to hit it after the perfect Ishii biting the rope spot, but Chekhov's Gun and all. The producer missed what looked like Ishii having a death struggle with Kenny while he was up on Omega's shoulders for the OWA finish, trying to fight off Ken-dog's hand from driving him down. 

Omega isn't perfect but I'd take him, flaws and all, over anybody else right now. I really hope his body is able to take the battering he's put it through the last few years. He knows it better than anybody else, so hopefully he's feeling okay. 

• Like 1

OK, from where I was sitting on media row, it was hard to see what the Bucks were up to, and the entrance screen showing the video wasn't on during the whole match, which led to the fans chanting "TURN ON THE SCREEN" and "CAN'T SEE SHIT."  So, I missed the Bucks setting up the table for that spot and that the impact was through a table.  I thought Ishii biting on the rope for the block was pretty awesome though.

Omega just doesn't seem like the type who knows when it's OK to have a night off and go half speed.  Kind of like Okada in the tag team match tonight, or Tanahashi against Billy Gunn.

Not sure if these are up anywhere yet, but the post-match press conference with Marty Scurll and the Bullet Club on night two was pretty hilarious.  Marty Scurll's hands was bleeding and he was yelling about his hands being insured for millions of dollars.  The NJPW officials in front of the presser table would hold up paper for the wrestlers to read, prompting them to "PLEASE SPEAK LOUDER."  Cody Rhodes grabbed it and started taunting the guy and then crumpled up and threw the paper at them.

• Like 1

I disagree. He's got his house show mode, much like Naito, where he's wrestling in his shirt and doing lots of comedy schtick. If he's not in a featured match, he's in house show mode, which is a great way of preserving his body for the important matches, and he's still entertaining. 

• Like 1

Tonight was my first exposure to New Japan, and I was definitely impressed. I never knew I needed Ishii in my life, but I'll fix that shortly.

Bucks/RPG was amazing in that it got me to buy into a Bucks match. I enjoy their schtick, but, overkill is not my cup of tea. Having it explained as them killing off RPG made it make sense, though.

Probably enjoyed the 8-Man most, that was just tons of fun. Tags forever.

Saw Liger live, so I've got that going for me.

Great show, I'll have to check out more.

• Like 4

Yeah with Omega it's easy to tell now. If he has his shirt on that means we are getting comedy worker Kenny who is still pretty entertaining. I have to give him credit, when he's holding back he's still giving the live audience a show and some of the shit he does is pretty funny.  

Shirt off means we are getting Wrestler of the Year Omega,  usually most singles contests.  He will not take it easy,  much like a Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles, he's going to flip the switch and go 100MPH.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2017 at 2:28 AM, OSJ said:

I'll be damned... Billy Gunn wrestles just like he did twenty years ago!

Of course, he wasn't any good then, either.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:14 PM, The Natural said:

Call Billy Gunn, Mr. Ass as it describes him in the ring.

; )

14 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

We got forwarded a pic of someone in the old dvdvr Ken the box shirt at the meet and greet today.  Let us know who it was.

Me. I even got an Okada buck for wearing it.

15 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

We got forwarded a pic of someone in the old dvdvr Ken the box shirt at the meet and greet today.  Let us know who it was.

Since I doubleposted, here;s a pic of ugly ol' me visiting HAKU.

RFT2AmW.jpg

• Like 8

While I understand why the Bucks had to do 2 Meltzer Drivers (well 1 and 1/2 as the one on the floor was awful) because of what happened to Dave,  kicking out of 3 piledrivers in a span of 30 seconds is just bullshit.  Trent Beretta in the heavyweight division is going to be interesting.  Not sure if it will work

Really enjoyed Sabre Jr vs Ishii and was definitely the best match except for the main.   People think it looks awful for someone as gangly as Zack to go at the same level but if you are constantly working on his arm and leg then it works for me.

The biggest problem with Billy Gunn in the co main event is that he looked so much bigger than Tanahashi in the match.  Not used to seeing him as the smaller one in a feud

I think I get why I don't like indie Cody. All of his opponents are being built as "safe" for the company.   The concept of Cody Rhodes as being "dangerous" is just not realistic at all.  His wrestling style is so basic compared guys like Omega.   His promos are really cookie cutter.   He gets great heat but it is that 2002-2004 Triple H "oh he is going to win because of his name" heat

So I guess the Guerrillas of Destiny a combination of the Gangstas with Tanga Roa actually like Mustafa and the Usos with Tama Tonga dancing and singing and all.   

I thought the 2nd night was better than the first night with the Jr Tag Title match, the Bullet Club comedy match, and the two Ishii matches

Just though that I ought to correct a narrative before it gets way out of hand. Kenny Omega is the best wrestler in the world today not named "Naito". That is all.

• Like 2

I generally hate Bucks matches, but yeah, that "Apron Piledriver->Baisuku Knee->Gotch Piledriver-> kickout at 2 -> Strong Zero -> Kickout at 2" sequence was weapons-grade bullshit.

• Like 1

Somehow Nick managed to not even leave his feet after the apron piledriver!

I thought Bucks/RPG was mega-overkill, but if they were killing off Vice for good, I guess I can kinda understand the impulse to empty the playbook, so to speak.

• Like 1