DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

Cards for the G1 Special in USA in Los Angeles

Night 1 7/1-

Main Event: IWGP Heavyweight Championship

"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) (c) vs. "The American Nightmare" Cody (Bullet Club)

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Quarter Final :

"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. "The Cleaner" Kenny Omega" (Bullet Club)

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Quarter Final :

Tomohiro Ishii (CHAOS) vs. Tetsuya Naito (Los Ingobernables de Japon)

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (Bullet Club) (c) vs. War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) (RoH)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Jay White & David Finlay vs. Billy Gunn, YOSHITATSU, Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Quarter Final:

Juice Robinson vs. Zach Sabre Jr. (Suzuki-gun)

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Quarter Final: 

Jay Lethal (RoH) vs. Hangman Page (Bullet Club)

Jushin "Thunder" Liger, Volador Jr, Dragon Lee & Titan vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI)

CHAOS (Will Ospreay, Rocky Romero, Trent Baretta, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Marty Scrull, Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson)

Night 2: 

Main Event: IWGP United States Championship Tournament Final:

Winner Semi 1 vs. Winner Semi 2

IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Billy Gunn

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Marty Scrull)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (Bullet Club) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta) (CHAOS)

Michael Elgin & War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs. Bullet Club (Hangman Page, Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa)

Juice Robinson, Jay White, Volador Jr. Titan & Dragon Lee vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi, EVIL, BUSHI & SANADA)

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Semi-Final:

Zack Sabre Jr (Suzuki-gun) vs. Tomohiro Ishii (CHAOS)

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Semi-Final:

"The Cleaner" Kenny Omega (Bullet Club)  vs. Jay Lethal (RoH)

Jushin "Thunder" Liger, KUSHIDA & David Finlay vs. YOSHITATSU, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu

Did they really need to book the entire Bullet Club? I understand that many of them are based in North America so it's probably easier to book them and that they are a cool thing in the US with their shirts being worn by wrestling fans who don't even really keep up with NJPW, but why do you have to bring Yujiro along? They coulda left Page out too. And ZSJ being the only representative of Suzuki-gun is disappointing. But there is talent there to put together some good matches so I'm intrigued

YOSHI-TATSU is really good! 

Neat that Dragon Lee & Volador Jr. are working the shows, as well as TEETAAHN. I'm excited for these shows and really hope it's a successful launching pad for New Japan in America. Still not sure how sustainable a regional territory is in terms of the long game but we'll see. That's a shitload of talent to get onto two shows though. Outside of tournament and title matches, I'm guessing we'll be inundated with 8-man tags, not a bad thing necessarily. 

*slowly lowers his Bread Club banner, a solitary tear falling silently*

Very disappointed at no Tencozy, Suzuki, Yano or Makabe.  On the bright side, I get to finally see Lyger in person.  And hey, Young Bucks will be a great time to visit the merch stand or get a hot dog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that there's no Field of Honor show at MCU Park this year makes me think they may be thinking about a NYC show around that time. One can dream... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far, Lethal and Page are the only two to "enter" the tournament.  And yeah, we get the "treat" of Okada/Cody for the Heavy, and I'm not looking forward to that.  I'd say that's Night 1's Main, as to not take away from the US Finals.  Given the rosters, I would guess that we get another Bucks/RPGVice match for the Jr Tags, a War Machine/GOD rematch for the Heavy's, KUSHIDA/BUSHI was set up, and I have no idea who Tanahashi defends against seeing how any Americans that would make sense would likely be locked up in the US Tourny or multi-man tags (I don't see Omega going for the IC belt here OR be in the US Tourny, so he's likely in a BC tag).  

Here's the alleged card:according to Reddit.

July 1st

CHAOS (Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe, Will Ospreay, Rocky Romero & Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Marty Scurll, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) 

Jushin Thunder Liger, Volador Jr., Dragon Lee & Titan vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi) 

Jay Lethal vs. Hangman Page - IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round

Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round

Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Jay White & David Finlay vs. Billy Gunn, Yoshitatsu, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu 

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (c) vs. War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) IWGP Tag Team Championship Match

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito - IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round

Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega -  IWGP US Championship Tournament 1st Round

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Cody - IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match

July 2 (partial card)

The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Roppongi Vice (Beretta & Rocky Romero) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match 60

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Billy Gunn IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match 60

IWGP United States Championship Tournament Semifinals & Final

kYfxKP5.jpg

Interesting brackets.  I don't see Omega and Naito both losing round one, but I doubt they'll be the final.  

Omega as US champion and the face of the US brand next year could be an interesting track to take, plus it can "rehab" Omega a bit as he takes the Nakamura route to make the US title important.

• Like 3

That is the card, as it's now official from NJPW.  Only thing not listed is the IWGP Junior Title match, as KUSHIDA/BUSHI is happening at the last Kizuna Road show, so I wager they'll wait until after that match happens to announce the LA match on Night 2, as load it up with 3 more muli man tag matches with guys eliminated from the tourny.

Naito in the US Title tourny is interesting given his "There are too many titles" attitude during his IC reign.

Imagine being told 5 years ago that New Japan will run its first shows in America with CODY RHODES and BILLY GUNN in a Main Event and Semi-Main Event.

At least there is Ishii/Naito, maybe Omega/Naito, but this is wacky (not in a good way)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

NEWZ sites and reddit are reporting that Tanahashi will be defending the IC title against Billy Gunn.

Smarks: "Tanahashi is the greatest wrestler of all time!"

Gedo: "Hold my beer."