DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Deadline says that a 6 episode Roseanne return is in the works with Rosanne Barr, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert already signed on and negotiations with Laurie Metcalf and Jonathan Galecki are in negotiations.

Apparently ABC and Netflix are in a bidding war for it

I can't imagine if ABC gets it - CBS being thrilled about Galecki doing it

And Ryan Seacrest is the new permanent co-host of Live with Kelly or whatever the fuck they call it

Basically the new Michael Strahan

Wonder if they retcon the awful series finale (series finale revealed that Dan died in of a heart attack in the previous year's season finale, and the entire last season was imaginary.  That'd be my take too if I was showrunner that last year.  It was dreadful and did a 180 from what made the show successful).

If I'm Galecki, do I care about what CBS thinks?  Unless I'm angling for some sort of production deal with CBS, I'm figuring Big Bang Theory is on its last legs, I've got plenty of money, and CBS will work with me regardless if there's money to be made. 

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And Ryan Seacrest is the new permanent co-host of Live with Kelly or whatever the fuck they call it

Basically the new Michael Strahan

This is an odd thread to discuss that in.

• RIPPA pinned this topic
3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

(series finale revealed that Dan died in of a heart attack in the previous year's season finale, and the entire last season was imaginary

I completely forgot about that. TBH I'm surprised Goodman hasn't had one in real life yet. 

They could probably do a bangup six episode run. I'd watch it. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Is this where we are putting American Gods talk? 

As someone who loves the book and is incredibly anal about book-movie translations, I thought it was a very promising start.

With Gaimain being so involved in the production they've done admirably well sticking to the book so far.  The few changes they made have been minor enough not to bother me so far.  The excessive gore in a few of the scenes felt a bit too over the top but nothing annoying.  Audrey's lines at the cemetery came off as edgy and obscene for the sake of being edgy and obscene, but was funny enough that it didn't bug me.  The cinematography and score comes off as a successor to Hannibal almost and hopefully that doesn't end up going off the rails later on.  The cast has been good so far, Ian McShane is killing it as Wednesday and Mad Sweeney and Technical Boy were pretty much just as I'd imagined them.  I think the guy playing Shadow is too conventionally attractive and not as taciturn as I'd imagined him, but that's more of my own impressions rather than his performance or anything like that and I think he'll do a fine job.

I have not read the book since it came out, so im hoping any changes might be things i dont even remember. 

My lasting memory of american gods is how much it reminded me of the second Dirk Gently book. 

I've never read American Gods so I had no idea what to expect. Ian McShane was good. The funeral and cemetery scenes were uncomfortable which was kind of neat considering the situation. The ending scenes were definitely enough to keep me interest for another episode.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

FOX is not giving Pitch a second season

My woman will be sad.

I have to find some time in between Andromeda multiplayer sessions to binge watch the back episodes of The Expanse and Samurai Jack that I am behind on.

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Nobody here is watch The Leftovers, right? 

I am, it's one of my favorite shows. But holy shit, this season is really batshit crazy. I tried to start a little discussion about it in the April thread, but it wasn't happenin'. I don't think too many people watch it on this board. Or gave up on it last season.

My interest in Leftovers is going to die real quick once Twin Peaks starts in a few weeks, though.

Am I the only person who still watches American Dad? It went from shitty pastiche of the Bush regime that I stopped watching then changed around Season 4 to one of the funniest and daftest slapstick on TV. It's probably my favourite animated comedy right now

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

FOX is not giving Pitch a second season

Did it ever come back from winter break?

Edit: Wikipedia makes it sound like season one was only 10 eps.  Is that correct?  I thought it was just on mid-winter break.

16 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Did it ever come back from winter break?

Edit: Wikipedia makes it sound like season one was only 10 eps.  Is that correct?  I thought it was just on mid-winter break.

Am I the only one who loses track of television shows after their long ass winter breaks?  I haven't watched a single episode of Agents of Shield after their winter break.  I'm behind on Flash after the winter break.  I didn't finish Legends of Tomorrow after their winter break.  I'm a busy man, if I go to my DVR and see a rerun I'll check again the following week.  If I check my DVR multiple weeks in a row and see a rerun, I'm probably going to stop checking.  I'll find something else to watch.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I am, it's one of my favorite shows. But holy shit, this season is really batshit crazy. I tried to start a little discussion about it in the April thread, but it wasn't happenin'. I don't think too many people watch it on this board. Or gave up on it last season.

My interest in Leftovers is going to die real quick once Twin Peaks starts in a few weeks, though.

I had about 24 hours of religious critiquing grief shows between watching Sunday's Leftovers and then finally watching the Handmaid's Tale pilot yesterday.

Mimi Leder really did a beautiful job of capturing the Australian Outback.

I have a lot to say about The Leftovers, but it's probably something I shouldn't elaborate upon while at the office. I may write something in regards to it tonight.

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Am I the only person who still watches American Dad? It went from shitty pastiche of the Bush regime that I stopped watching then changed around Season 4 to one of the funniest and daftest slapstick on TV. It's probably my favourite animated comedy right now

I have it on in the background before work most days while it runs in syndication on TBS. While Family Guy did a nosedive and got pretty uncomfortable to watch, American Dad went bonkers and got better. I refuse to watch The Cleveland Show though. That theme song makes me want to throw something at my TV.

EDIT: Sure enough I turn on the TV and it's on; coincidentally the kids are cutting a wrestling promo and the fat one does the Kamala belly slap hahaha

EDIT II: Then the principle ran in and hit Steve with a reverse frankensteiner and the seated piledriver that broke Austin's neck hahaha

I loved American Dad from about season three to almost the end of the Fox run.  Haven't liked it as much since, and the TBS run hasn't really done anything for me.  

There are a few gems from the TBS years.  The Ratatouille which found Steve stuffing Claus into his speedo in order to become a star water polo player kills me every time I've seen it.

FWIW, the last season of the Cleveland show was really funny.

I'll agree that American Dad has held onto it's fastball, so to speak, far longer than the other McFarlane comedies.