DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING GIFS

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And you all forgetting Harley Race as manager makes me sad

I hate that this is the case, but the first two things that pop into my head when I think of Harley as a manager are: 

1. the questionable promos building up the Vader-Ron Simmons match

2. Beach Blast '93 mini-movie 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I hate that this is the case, but the first two things that pop into my head when I think of Harley as a manager are: 

1. the questionable promos building up the Vader-Ron Simmons match

2. Beach Blast '93 mini-movie 

I think you meant the Simmons/Luger build up, like the contract signing at the Clash?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

I liked Harley as a manager, but I don't think he managed long enough to be considered a top five manager. I would still rank him over Gary Hart though.

Now that's just crazy talk. Gary may not be the best ever (though he's in my top 5) but he's the most EVIL manager ever and so much better than Harley it isn't even remotely funny.

• Like 5

No, the build to Simmons/Vader had some questionable promo's as well (shit, it was pretty much Luger/Simmons retread), including the bleeped promo at the Clash that implied Harley called him something very not acceptable (when in reality, he didn't)

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Now that's just crazy talk. Gary may not be the best ever (though he's in my top 5) but he's the most EVIL manager ever and so much better than Harley it isn't even remotely funny.

Hart seemingly never bumping made him seem ineffective as a manager to me. If he's bigger than most of the wrestlers, and more of a badass than most of the wrestlers, then why is he just a manager, and not kicking ass himself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Hart seemingly never bumping made him seem ineffective as a manager to me. If he's bigger than most of the wrestlers, and more of a badass than most of the wrestlers, then why is he just a manager, and not kicking ass himself?

Because he was literally broken in half from a plane wreck? 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 6:35 PM, Matt D said:

This is what I think about that.

P1ykm2.gif

Nick Bockwinkel....telling you to stick it up your ass and still the classiest fucker in all of Memphis.

• Like 2

Gary Hart was the fuckin man and and easy top 5 pick for me. He was great at getting hs boys over on the mic but also gave off the vibe of being a skeezy dude that would bring a straight razor to a boxing match

James

• Like 5

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Gary Hart was the fuckin man and and easy top 5 pick for me. He was great at getting hs boys over on the mic but also gave off the vibe of being a skeezy dude that would bring a straight razor to a boxing match

James

No shit. Watch the end of the Sullivan/Lewin vs Nelson Royal/Scott McGhee match at Starcade 83. McGhee drop kicks him into the corner and he pulls a fucking spike from his boot and has the most menacing look on as his face as he starts going towards McGhee before Lewin cuts him off and takes the spike from him. 

Hart was a scary dude at times. 

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

On-screen, Gary Hart seemed like the kinda guy who would keep up kayfabe by following you into the parking lot and stabbing you with the knife he hid in his shoe.  

Razor blade in the pocket. Slices a dude to ribbons and easily flushed down a toilet to hide the evidence. It's greatly detailed in his book...

Heenan is the greatest of all time. There really isn't any competition. 

I have to give the edge to Cornette over Heyman. James E got more involved, could get heat without blurring any lines,  and would gladly humiliate himself. 

Really, Dangerously without The Alliance wasn't all that special, as he was absolutely loaded with talent. He was essentially Casey Stengel. His WWE underlord character was the perfect evolution. 

Gary Hart might be the smartest of them all. He is by far the most devious, but due to his condition he couldn't get involved in any ruckus - which does hinder him a bit if you were to compare him to Cornette and Heenan. He could talk and sell, and keep the kayfabe alive. I'd have to put him over Dangerously for that fear factor. 

If Gary Hart had The Spoiler as his 911 he would have ruled the roost.

Sherri made the Macho King. She made HBK. She's the one that gave credibility to Harlem Heat. She was able to stand next to Ric Flair and not disappear. She intimidated everyone, could sell any moment, bumped like crazy, and last but not least she was gorgeous. Sherri was the perfect package. Sherri and Col. Rob Parker will go down as one of my favorite stories of all time. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Razor blade in the pocket. Slices a dude to ribbons and easily flushed down a toilet to hide the evidence. It's greatly detailed in his book...

I love how Gary said that Snuka gave him a nice new knife with the word "Superfly" engraved on it but he never cut anyone with it out of respect for Jimmy.

Spoiler

Don Owen sent me a young wrestler named “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka. He must have heard some wild stories about me from the other guys, because when he arrived in Dallas, he gave me a knife with the word “Superfly” written on it, which I kept for
years. Of course, out of respect to Jimmy, I never cut anybody with it! Jimmy and I had a very good relationship, and I was so happy for him when he became a sensation in the WWF.

• Like 2

I didn't piece it together at the time as a kid, but watching old tapes as an adult I love that while Gary Hart managed foreign heels in World Class like Abdullah The Butcher and Great Kabuki, he never went the route of cheap "anti-USA" heat. The vibe was more that these were mercenaries Gary met while tending to "business interests" in foreign countries, which just makes him even sleazier as a manager persona.

I always hoped that they were eventually flesh that aspect of Armando Alejandro Estrada out when he was managing Umaga, but they never really developed him beyond saying his own name, so nuts to that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, clintthecrippler said:

I didn't piece it together at the time as a kid, but watching old tapes as an adult I love that while Gary Hart managed foreign heels in World Class like Abdullah The Butcher and Great Kabuki, he never went the route of cheap "anti-USA" heat. The vibe was more that these were mercenaries Gary met while tending to "business interests" in foreign countries, which just makes him even sleazier as a manager persona.

I always hoped that they were eventually flesh that aspect of Armando Alejandro Estrada out when he was managing Umaga, but they never really developed him beyond saying his own name, so nuts to that.

I guess you also have Akbar in Dallas to fulfill the role of evil foreigner.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I love how Gary said that Snuka gave him a nice new knife with the word "Superfly" engraved on it but he never cut anyone with it out of respect for Jimmy.

Reveal hidden contents

Don Owen sent me a young wrestler named “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka. He must have heard some wild stories about me from the other guys, because when he arrived in Dallas, he gave me a knife with the word “Superfly” written on it, which I kept for
years. Of course, out of respect to Jimmy, I never cut anybody with it! Jimmy and I had a very good relationship, and I was so happy for him when he became a sensation in the WWF.

LOL that's awesome.  In the world of wrestling, that is considered classy as fuck.

• Like 1