DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I just saw a unification match between Bruiser Brody and Tenryu. The finish was the worst ever, as Brody hit the King Kong Kneedrop, then rolls out of the ring to slowly crawl towards Tenryu who powerbombs him softly for the double count....

The finish killed the audience completely...

So, use that for the finish of Orton vs Jinder Mahal please. 

As much as people love 1980s All Japan, and there was some good stuff, they had some of the worst finishes ever. They had no idea sometimes how to protect wrestlers in defeat so they just had BS no-winner endings instead. Glad that phase of wrestling is over.

Wasn't that more that certain people on the roster didn't like to do business, and when one person is seen to get away with something, other people decide they might as well be pushing their luck too?

10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You know - If there was a wrestling time machine, I'd use it to go back to 1993 to bring Vader to the modern era to see him take on Lesnar. 

Can we make it 2003 Lesnar, and not "Two Moves of Doom" Lesnar?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

I just saw a unification match between Bruiser Brody and Tenryu. The finish was the worst ever, as Brody hit the King Kong Kneedrop, then rolls out of the ring to slowly crawl towards Tenryu who powerbombs him softly for the double count....

The finish killed the audience completely...

Let's get Matt to watch this match.

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Finally saw the Marty Scurll/Adam Cole Bullet Club exchange. Very cool and it got me thinking; How do we compare the Bullet Club in terms of success against other stables like DX, The Horsemen and the nWo?

Obviously the nWo and DX were much greater successes in terms of public profile and commercial reward while the Horsemen are the undisputed #1, but I think I'm talking myself into a position where Bullet Club could be a top 2-3 stable of all time.

The nWo were game changers but in the end they really did destroy WCW and that should be seen as a horrible failure. DX ended up becoming a parody of themselves and never really controlled the main event outside of Shawn's end run and the terrible DX/Corporation deal. So I feel I'm left with the Horsemen. They had members come and ago, spanned across decades through the NWA/WCW and were always in or around the main event without feeling too stale.

BC have gone from Devitt to Styles to Omega, adding and losing members along the way. They have crossed over multiple promotions and managed to stay at the top of the card without feeling as stale as late nWo or as out of place as post 2002 DX.

Where do Bullet Club sit for you guys?

Correct answer is that they should have disbanded 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Bullet Club aren't even in the top 2-3 stables in New Japan right now, let alone in all of wrestling history.

If the Bullet Club were strictly a faction of just Japanese wrestlers and never had one foreigner in it, we'd never would of had the hype train like we did. It wouldn't have left the station.

• Like 1

Watched the end of Brody/Tenryu just for the hell of it. After that "powerbomb" (either Tenryu couldn't get him up or Brody sandbagged him) I thought "restart chant". And there was one, and it lasted all of about five repeats before the crowd realized they'd seen that shit before a million times and it was Brody and went silent. 

Great kneedrop though

As good as Tenryu was, his powerbomb was shit about 70% of the time. Never looked like a proper way to end main event level matches. Just no impact to it, I always assumed he did it on purpose for some reason but I think he just struggled lifting wrestlers.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As good as Tenryu was, his powerbomb was shit about 70% of the time. Never looked like a proper way to end main event level matches. Just no impact to it, I always assumed he did it on purpose for some reason but I think he just struggled lifting wrestlers.

That's the problem with being old school.  No one around to tell you it's an upper body business.

• Like 6

Guest Edwin

Bullet Club wouldn't even be a top 20 faction for me even though I can't think of any other stables in wrestling right now aside from the 4 Horsemen.

Stables Bullet Club is better than:

3MB

Legacy

The DCC

League of Nations

Whatever Caprice Coleman/Kenny King/Rhett Titus are calling themselves

I was going to say Simon Diamond's ECW crew, but then I would be downplaying the greatness of Dick Hertz, The Muskateer and Mitch the Male Rat.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BoKnowsWrestling said:

Do Hart's and Hennen's groups count as stables?  If so that puts anything else in a distant 4th place (horsemen an obvious #1).  

A stable is where you keep horses. Heenan had a family!

• Like 3