DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

As long as The Emoji Movie and Baywatch are shittier than that and nothing else major bombs, I'm good.

Hey, can we come up with some sort of DVDVR crowdfunding dealie to cover shipping and handling costs for the DVDs.

The man came up with the prizes.  We can at least chip in to cover postage.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hey, can we come up with some sort of DVDVR crowdfunding dealie to cover shipping and handling costs for the DVDs.

The man came up with the prizes.  We can at least chip in to cover postage.

I could set something up in September once I actually mail them out and know how much it costs.  We have people from at least 4 different countries in this, so shipping costs are going to depend pretty heavily on who ends up winning.

Hmmm... you know

Maybe I will wait then to buy my DVDs because that way I can just direct ship via Amazon

Especially if any of you fuckers in the UK win

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hmmm... you know

Maybe I will wait then to buy my DVDs because that way I can just direct ship via Amazon

Looks like you just saved me 100% of my shipping costs.  Not sure why I never thought to do that before.

More analyzing of the entries reveals, when comparing lists of the same type (i.e. only box office vs. box office and Rotten Tomatoes vs. Rotten Tomatoes):

- There is only one pair of lists that omit the exact same five movies: Phantom Lord's and DreamBroken's box office lists.  (The five movies are Capt. Underpants, Valerian, Baby Driver, Dunkirk and Dark Tower.)

- The two most similar lists (in terms of where movies are placed) are JRGoldman's and _MJ_'s Rotten Tomatoes lists.

- The two most dissimilar lists are JRGoldman's and King Leonidas' box office lists.  Odd that JRGoldman is involved in both of these pairs.

Visual representation of the most similar and dissimilar lists, using fading colors and connecting lines:

Spoiler

wWSLsD9.gif

wJ3nMGP.gif

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I smell collusion.

I cannot alter my ballot anymore now that the pool has begun.  If I get my hands on that copy of Train to Busan, it is because the people did not go your way.

Hollywood Reporter is saying that at the moment Wonder Woman is tracking to open with $65 million

It is three weeks away but... umm... yeah...

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hollywood Reporter is saying that at the moment Wonder Woman is tracking to open with $65 million

I've 75 million and 83 million but those were long range forecasts IIRC. 

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah, this is why I went with Captain Underpants as my tiebreaker one: The first week or so should clobber it, but since it's a kids' movie in the summer, this should be there all summer long and do pretty well for itself (though maybe not in the first 28 days with bigger fish, especially with a big superhero movie against it.) 

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

More analyzing of the entries reveals, when comparing lists of the same type (i.e. only box office vs. box office and Rotten Tomatoes vs. Rotten Tomatoes):

- There is only one pair of lists that omit the exact same five movies: Phantom Lord's and DreamBroken's box office lists.  (The five movies are Capt. Underpants, Valerian, Baby Driver, Dunkirk and Dark Tower.)

- The two most similar lists (in terms of where movies are placed) are JRGoldman's and _MJ_'s Rotten Tomatoes lists.

- The two most dissimilar lists are JRGoldman's and King Leonidas' box office lists.  Odd that JRGoldman is involved in both of these pairs.

Visual representation of the most similar and dissimilar lists, using fading colors and connecting lines:

Hide contents

wWSLsD9.gif

wJ3nMGP.gif

I think Dunkirk looks amazing, but its coming out the wrong time of year. It should be coming out like Thanksgiving. it's total Oscar bait. Hell, put it out on Christmas day. As for Capt. Underpants/Dark Tower I think they're just gonna be bombs. Baby Driver I wasn't confident enough in to put in my top 15. I just don't trust movie going audiences I mean, I'm still afraid that damn Emjoi movie is going to make money.

9 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think Dunkirk looks amazing, but its coming out the wrong time of year. It should be coming out like Thanksgiving. it's total Oscar bait. Hell, put it out on Christmas day. As for Capt. Underpants/Dark Tower I think they're just gonna be bombs. Baby Driver I wasn't confident enough in to put in my top 15. I just don't trust movie going audiences I mean, I'm still afraid that damn Emjoi movie is going to make money.

Based on the love Mad Max got last year, Dunkirk could be one of those "oh shit, we need a film that isn't in the Oscar season to give a handjob to" Oscar nominees.  Dunkirk looks like Oscar bait until real Oscar bait hits the theaters.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That tracking number for Wonder Woman is terrible. It should be doing around $100M at least. Wow. I'm sure it'll make money but damn.

I'm on the IMDB app and in the WW articles, it links to The Wrap article that places it at 105-115M. It's from 9 hours ago. Somebody is off like a motherfucker.

From the story I got it from

As previously stated, the early tracking numbers are likely to change as the marketing blitz for the film hits a fever pitch in the coming days. Previous DCEU films Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad both exceeded expectations from early tracking numbers. Batman v Superman was reported to be tracking a $140 Million debut and opened to $166 million, while Suicide Squad was tracking at a $125 million opening and brought in $133 million upon release.

Should Wonder Woman stick to a $65 million opening, however, that would give it the lowest opening for a DCEU feature but would put it ahead of other Warner Bros. DC features like Watchmen ($55 million), Green Lantern ($53 million), and this year’s The LEGO Batman Movie ($53 million). The only other major release opening against Wonder Woman is 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation’s Captain Underpants.

So The Wrap article has 65 million to 105 million in the headline w/ possibly all the way up to 115 in the article. That's a giant ass range and basically where the long range forecasts had it.

Basically, it's non news and Hollywood Reporter is using the low end number.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Baywatch may be a surprise hit with the critics. 

Of course, I'm betting on how in love the critics will be with Rock.

Also it has the director for Horrible Bosses which currently sits at a cool 68% on RT. The sequel is 34% but comedies especially run into issues with diminishing returns in quality, particularly in terms of critical response.

The Red Band trailer makes it look like a blast.

9 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Also it has the director for Horrible Bosses which currently sits at a cool 68% on RT. The sequel is 34% but comedies especially run into issues with diminishing returns in quality, particularly in terms of critical response.

The Red Band trailer makes it look like a blast.

I was in the theater for I believe Ghost in the Shell (since both are Paramount), and people were dying laughing at the trailer.  I didn't think it was that funny, but I could why someone would think it was funny.  It was a lot better than the first teaser or trailer I saw.

28 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I like Baywatch in the 60-65% range because it looks like it'll be goofy enough and non-serious with The Rock doing and saying lititle one liners, enough to earn a positive review 

That's pretty much my reasoning along the chemistry he might have with Efron. Unless a comedy is downright putrid (from the previews), they usually don't slaughter it too bad. FWIW the same guy made Identity Thief (19% on RT) and I didn't think it was bad. It just leaned so hard into Fat woman makeover at the end thing Melissa McCartney had for like 3 movies in a row.