DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For May 3, 2017

RIPPA

Per PWI

Dark match: Jeet Rama  (w/ The Bollywood Boyz) def. Max Stardom 

Week 1

- Hideo Itami def. Kona Reeves (possible dark match)

- Killian Dain  (w/Eric Young) def. Danny Burch. 

- Heavy Machinery wins a squash. 

Post match: Heavy Machinery calls out the Authors of Pain, saying they've never faced beef like this.  

- Sonya Deville def. Lacey Evans

- Aleister Black def. Cezar Bononi 

- Hideo Itami def. Roderick Strong to become #1 contender to the NXT Championship 

Per WON

Dark match --
- Jeet Rama (w/ The Bollywood Boyz) defeated an enhancement talent

Rama won this one quickly.

NXT TV taping spoilers --

- Hideo Itami defeated Kona Reeves

A GTS got the win for Itami. There's a chance this was a dark match as well.

- Killian Dain (w/ Eric Young) defeated Danny Burch

Dain hit the One Winged Angel before pinning Burch.

- Heavy Machinery defeated two local wrestlers

Heavy Machinery squashed them quickly, then cut a promo on The Authors of Pain. They talked about how hungry they are. The crowd loved them and even gave them a "Steaks and Weights" chant.

- Sonya Deville defeated Lacey Evans

Both Daria Berenato and Macey Estrella got new names here. Berenato picked up her first win under her new name.

- Aleister Black defeated Cezar Bononi

Black got the win following a flying knee and a roundhouse kick.

- Hideo Itami defeated Roderick Strong in a number one contender's match

They had a good, long match. Itami hit the GTS to get the win. They shook hands afterwards, then SAnitY snuck in and destroyed Strong as Itami made his way to the back. Itami will challenge Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship at TakeOver: Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

Those two guys Heavy Machinery fought couldn't have been older than 12. They made the Mulkeys look like the Sky Scrapers. Not Rock didn't look half bad against Itami. I wouldn't mind him doing a protege gimmick with Roode. Nikki's selling and laughing at Ember post match was too great. Itami doesn't feel like a title contender to me. He hasn't done shit in over a year.  I guess they want to hold off on Drew until Brooklyn, but we should at least be getting a Drew/Ohno match in Chicago.

Nice Roderick Strong video, like last week. It really takes me back seeing the IPW Hardcore footage. I used to watch that show every week. Back then Roderick had a "brother" called Sedrick Strong as his tag team partner. I suppose Sedrick might be retired by now.

NXT always has such good videos for their wrestlers. Would be nice if mainland WWE would do some promotion videos like that for the main roster crew these days... Though the Nakamura videos they're playing aren't bad.

• Like 1

I'd like Kona to get some more exposure but I'm not sure who would get cut out. That was an insane bump by Ember, has anyone been able to confirm if she's actually injured or not?

Such a dick move by Auska and it's even better by her skipping/running to the back.

Jesus fucking Christ that bump Ember Moon took. Holy shit that was insane.

After those video packages, I really would like to see Strong get the title shot.

9 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

Nice Roderick Strong video, like last week. It really takes me back seeing the IPW Hardcore footage. I used to watch that show every week. Back then Roderick had a "brother" called Sedrick Strong as his tag team partner. I suppose Sedrick might be retired by now.

Sedrick Strong cut back his schedule in 2010 or 2011 and was talking about getting out of the business.  Last time I actually saw his name on a card was 2012 and I can't find anything to suggest he's wrestled anywhere since

11 hours ago, Ace said:

There was a break in the middle for his short TNA run. But WWE refuses to mention TNA runs.

His TNA run was very short; and he never stopped working ROH. TNA wanted all their talent down in Orlando due to the threat of snowstorm in the Northeast, but Aries and Strong refused because it would have meant pulling off an ROH show. That show was Unscripted II, which had the unannounced one night return of CM Punk.

I hate WWE style battle royals. Having said that, The ending portion was awesome with Asuka pretty much killing all three of her top challengers. I love cocky Asuka. And nice to see Candice Lerae too! 

34 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

She was pictured in an "official" NXT group photo wearing a sling. I would hardly call that confirmation.

The photo was taken/released before the match aired, so if it is a work, their timing is off.

Of course, there aren't any more tapings between now and Takeover, so if it's legit but she'll be fine by the show, then they don't even need to acknowledge the injury.

8 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

She was pictured in an "official" NXT group photo wearing a sling. I would hardly call that confirmation.

She has been wearing it everywhere including a live stream she did for UUDD from a con she was attending 

So it's either legit or she literally is the only person left in wrestling who cares about kayfabe

1 hour ago, MarcosLoura said:

That D&D game that Ember was a part off was streamed or there's just that picture?

Also, she being a D&D nerd makes her 50% hotter.

If you haven't seen it already she did a 2-part episode for Up Up Down Down.  She talks quite a bit about D&D and writing fan fiction.  She's a nerd and I love her to pieces for it.  I'll be really bummed if she can't do the NXT show next month as I'd love to see her live.

And Greggulator, as awesome as Velveteen Dream is I respectfully disagree.  The best part is a tie between Heavy Machinery's glorious squash and Roderick Strong's video.  HM brought the beef and it's hard to hate Otis and all the wacky shit he says/does.  Damn I loved it.

As for Roddy, I have seen him many times in ROH and for a time when doing Baltimore shows I'd see him at the after party.  He's always been such a super nice guy and despite the douchebag persona in talking with him it just made me root for the guy that much more.  He was on Observer Radio talking about growing up so I heard part of what was said in the first video.  But to see what he was talking about and how it still affects him was heavy.  Then they cap it off with part two and despite his upbringing he's happily going to be a husband and is a new father.  I know there's been some that didn't know a thing about Roderick.  I hope these videos helped you see what makes him awesome.  And damnit he needs to win the championship this year.

Heavy Machinery rule. That was some great straight-up 1993 WCW B-Show material. That is NOT a criticism. I require great goofy things in my wrestling fandom. Tucker Knight and Otis are awesome. 

The Roddy Strong videos were really well done and gave me a good primer about his life. It will remain to see if that adds anything to his in-ring character and performances. Bobby Roode checking his phone while it was going on was solid self-involved heeling. I hope they go all Justin Credible with some heel taking a dig about Roddy's tragic upbringing and/or "your newborn child finally has a role model" ala Alexa Bliss about Bayley's family. I can get down with that.

But come on. Velveteen Dream. I was freaking out when I saw he had nothing in the spoilers. My nerves are settled.

• Like 1

I could do without the Justin Credible tactics, and in WWE's PG environment that won't fly either.  But I'm on board with the rest of your post.  And considering Patrick Clark's a relatively local dude I'm hoping he finds success in his re-debut.