DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/4/2017

Dolfan in NYC

As was said in the last thread, the NHL will not be sending players to South Korea for the Olympics next year, so no break next season because everything sucks.  

I'll be curious to see who Detroit leaves unprotected in the draft. The majority of their lineup is now 1st & 2nd year players, so they can protect just about every guy they could possibly care about. Riley Sheahan and his wait-until-the-last-game offense will surely be exposed. And probably Drew Miller. And... Jonathan Ericsson? Kronwall? None of those guys would be much of a loss, that's for sure. 

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I think it's mostly a shot at troglodytes like Jeff O'Neil who declared he wouldn't take any player in the NHL over Matthews. Who is a very good rookie but come the fuck on.

They are the same people who tell us Eichel is a disappointing bust despite being a PPG player for a coach whose entire philosophy was to kill as much offense in his team's games as possible.

I'm trying to explain to someone that it doesn't matter if a guy is defenseless or if he sees it coming: a hit to the head is a hit to the head and can't be tolerated. God help me.

On 2017-04-22 at 1:31 PM, odessasteps said:

Also, one team made the playoffs and one did not. Thats usually a factor 

No it does not, otherwise Pittsburgh's goalie wins ROY in a walk, and he did not even make the final three. Matthews will win because 1) he plays for the Leafs; 2) he had more actual points and 3) voters have convinced themselves that playing centre means more than any other position.

So, you dont think that if the jets had made the playoffs and the leafs did not, and the stats were mostly the same,  laine would be the favorite instead of matthews?

I agree being a Leaf helps, but i think being the focal point of a playoff team helps too. 

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Death From Above said:

I think it's mostly a shot at troglodytes like Jeff O'Neil who declared he wouldn't take any player in the NHL over Matthews. Who is a very good rookie but come the fuck on.

I'm getting people saying he's better than McDavid and I want to beat them all up with a baseball bat for being so fucking stupid. And while I'm ranting I had someone else object when I said Crosby has a strong case to be considered one of the five best players ever. My question is why would anyone find that absurd? You can argue it forever and have no wrong answer but by God I think the greatest player we've seen in the past quarter of a century merits consideration. And I'm someone who doesn't even like him personally but I can't deny greatness.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So, you dont think that if the jets had made the playoffs and the leafs did not, and the stats were mostly the same,  laine would be the favorite instead of matthews?

I agree being a Leaf helps, but i think being the focal point of a playoff team helps too. 

Everyone in this city knew Laine had to beat Matthews by at least 5 goals to have a shot. Small market vs biggest hockey media market. Only reason Selanne managed to win a ROY playing here was because he scored a zillion goals.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Toronto got the guy they needed in last year's draft, and so did Winnipeg. If the Jets get even average NHL goaltending this season, instead of dogshit goaltending, they are in the playoffs.

(Matt Murray should be ROY anyway, and he didn't even make the finalists list).

On 4/23/2017 at 9:07 PM, sabremike said:

I'm getting people saying he's better than McDavid and I want to beat them all up with a baseball bat for being so fucking stupid. And while I'm ranting I had someone else object when I said Crosby has a strong case to be considered one of the five best players ever. My question is why would anyone find that absurd? You can argue it forever and have no wrong answer but by God I think the greatest player we've seen in the past quarter of a century merits consideration. And I'm someone who doesn't even like him personally but I can't deny greatness.

He's in the conversation for sure. His points per game, in this dead puck era, is ridiculous. 

On 24/04/2017 at 1:14 PM, Oyaji said:

So Joe Thornton played on a torn MCL and ACL. That is fucking gross. I hope they give these guys one more year and don't blow it up.

In another playoff year he played the whole thing with a busted rib. It's really hard to believe there was a time Thornton Is Soft was a talking point.