DVDVR Message Board

Ain't No Grave being redubbed after 27 bummed me out. Although I've really grown on them using Katy Perry for Taker's entrance during the NBC recap special since it's so batshit weird. 

• Like 2

I used to have nightmares about Paul Bearer and The Undertaker when I was a small child. This was in the early 90s, probably when I was 4 or 5, so... 1993?

Looking back, my favorite era of Undertaker's career was probably 1999. The Ministry of Darkness was just fucking awesome to 10 year old me, and when I go back and watch these storylines over again, I get the warm and fuzzies inside. It's weird to feel that way about a pseudo Satanic storyline, but yeah, I do. That being said, my favorite Undertaker match from a strictly nostalgia POV is most definitely Kane/Undertaker from WrestleMania XIV (1998). 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Credit to RIPPA:

C81qrYXXkAIy_Np.jpg

Not sure if I prefer the first or second. Like to get one.

I am a sentimental old bastard at heart so I will get both. Phil, thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, (BP) said:

Ain't No Grave being redubbed after 27 bummed me out. Although I've really grown on them using Katy Perry for Taker's entrance during the NBC recap special since it's so batshit weird. 

Is this legit? This is terrible, bad editing around Justin Roberts and random gongs.

Updated version at Undertaker’s top twenty matches:

1. vs. Shawn Michaels, In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****

2. vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXV. *****

3. vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXVI. *****

4. vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVIII. *****

5. vs. Brock Lesnar, No Mercy 2002.

6. vs. Edge, WrestleMania XXIV.

7. vs. Mankind, King of the Ring 1998.

8. vs. Batista, WrestleMania 23.

9. vs. Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2015.

10. vs. Brock Lesnar, Hell in a Cell 2015.

11. vs. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin vs. Vader. In Your House 13: Final Four 1997.

12. vs. Jeff Hardy, RAW, 1st July 2002.

13. vs. Batista, Backlash 2007.

14. vs. Kurt Angle, Smackdown, 3rd September 2003.

15. vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVII.

16. vs. Kurt Angle, No Way Out 2006.

17. vs. CM Punk, WrestleMania XXIX.

18. vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Rock, Vengeance 2002.

19. vs. Steve Austin, SummerSlam 1998.

20. vs. Bret Hart, One Night Only 1997.

Underrated ‘Taker matches:

1. vs. Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi, Armageddon 2000.

2. vs. Shawn Michaels, In Your House 17: Ground Zero 1997.

3. vs. Mankind, In Your House 14: Revenge of the ‘Taker 1997.

4. vs. Batista, Survivor Series 2007.

5. vs. Triple H, WrestleMania X-Seven.

6. vs. Ric Flair. WrestleMania X-8.

7. vs. Big Show. No Mercy 2008.

8. vs. Kane, WrestleMania XIV.

9. vs. Brock Lesnar, Unforgiven 2002.

10. vs. Kane, Night of Champions 2010.

Great list just curious why you don't give the No Mercy match with Brock 5 stars, I'd probably rate that above the HHH mania match but probably not the Michaels matches.

Were Michaels and Taker eachothers best opponents? The two of them always delivered against each other pre-injury Shawn wouldn't (well more likely couldn't) pull any of his shit against Taker which probably helped. But those two meshed so well together.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Great list just curious why you don't give the No Mercy match with Brock 5 stars, I'd probably rate that above the HHH mania match but probably not the Michaels matches.

Were Michaels and Taker eachothers best opponents? The two of them always delivered against each other pre-injury Shawn wouldn't (well more likely couldn't) pull any of his shit against Taker which probably helped. But those two meshed so well together.

Thanks for approving of my list. Going by memory the No Mercy 2002 'Taker vs. Brock Hell in a Cell is a five star match, I wanted to watch it again to be sure.

Undertaker and Shawn Michaels were defintely each other's best opponents. I liked the two other high profile 'Taker/HBK matches at In Your House 17: Ground Zero and Royal Rumble 1998. There was also the threatened behind the scenes one at WrestleMania XIV ; ).

Undertaker and Shawn had great chemistry. The others I can say the same about: Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat, Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk, Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin and Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 4:15 AM, The Natural said:

Bonus:

God, I love this moment so much. Gorilla and Piper's reactions were perfect. I think Taker debuting as a mystery partner was more effective than building him up for weeks with vignettes. 

I love Piper's line, "Do you think he'd steal the gold out of your teeth?" I was talking to my mother recently and she asked me if I think there are funeral directors that take out decedent's teeth for the gold. I guess there are. There's corruption in every field. All I know is I'm not one of them.

• Like 3

I think you can argue for Mick as Taker's best opponent as well. They had so many great matches in 96-97. But yeah, it's probably Shawn. And Taker was perfect at getting top notch performances out of HBK.

I'll never understand anyone liking Mania XVIII over XVII. But I'm already on record in this thread that Taker/Triple H at 27 is my vote for best Mania match...

• Like 1

Thank you taker. that is all i can say. never got to see him perform live (i live in the middle east). wish i did. still,thank you taker a thousand times. i wish he would write an autobiography,though i doubt it,and i would be honored if i could meet him even one time.

On 4/7/2017 at 10:31 AM, (BP) said:

I unironically loved that Katy Perry entrance. I watched the NBC special when it first ran, and was so mystified by what I was seeing, I think I rewound my DVR and watched it like three or four times. And hey, it beats the hell out of coming to the ring to Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit. 

6 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

And hey, it beats the hell out of coming to the ring to Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit. 

That's not saying much. Isaac Yankem's dentist drill theme or Perry Saturn coming to the ring to the sound of an air raid siren is better than Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit.

• Like 4