DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Kronos said:

I liked his I'm Too Old For This Shit face after jumping off ladder with Anderson. I don't think we were supposed to see that expression. 

I also liked that for a big part of the match, while everyone else was fighting over the title belts, Jeff was just "buildin' stuff out of ladders"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I like how Randy Orton rode a giant holographic snake all the way down to the ring but then gets freaked out by giant holograms during the match about three minutes later. That's some solid psychology there, I tell you what.

We now know Orton was an avid fan of Startropics for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

c-serpent.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greggulator said:

I liked that they tried something different in his match but it was a snooze. Randy Orton's the worst.

I'm thinking they're turning Bray face soon.

Sanity vs Bray is right there.  And I totally believe Bray would be the face as his "family" comes back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, piranesi said:

About two hours into Wrestlemania:

Guy in production van: "You know what this show is missing?"

Producer: "What?"

Guy in van: "40 year old Schtick."

Jerry Lawler: "Hold my beer for a second, guys."

God help me, I laughed at some of Lawler's jokes. The one about sleeping in the kitchen was a knee slapper.

Fun show but they gotta start start shortening it. Everyone is just glassy-eyed by the end. On the whole, a thumbs up show and, for the most part, a well-booked show. 

- Aries vs Neville was great and I look forward to them getting a bigger profile spot on the next Raw PPV. Utterly insane that Austin Aries has a singles match at a Wrestlemania

- Battle Royal was basically garbage and a waste of Braun, Big Show and Zayn. I think Mojo is fine as an opening match babyface but their reach is exceeding their grasp on this guy. 

- Dean vs Baron was nothing but glad Dean won as it temporarily prevents him from complete irrelevance. 

- AJ vs Shane was a wonderful carry job by Styles and Shane did a great job of jumping off things. It was somewhat silly that grapple master Shane is a thing but that's how they portray him so whatever. Importantly, AJ got a clean win and gotta figure him and Orton are gonna be a thing on SD through the summer. Also, AJ vs Nakamura will probably be a thing soon. 

- Jericho vs KO was fine but this is one of those feuds where the babyface needs to win. Work was fine, though Jericho is a step past him prime. KO now becomes the top singles full-time champ on Raw, so we've reset to before Fastlane. 

- Women's match was great. Sasha got jobbed the fuck out so she's turning heel tomorrow. Bayley got a big win and Charlotte continues to excel. We need to establish an over/under on when she closes WM. 

- Ladder match with the Hardyz was good. Not the most dynamic ladder match ever but I'm glad those guys didn't kill themselves. Really happy for Matt who has had an improbable career comeback. How long before they want to push Jeff as a main eventer again? Hardys had ladder matches back to back nights and have been TNA. ROH and now WWE tag champs in the span of the month. Wrestling is great. 

- Miz was great in the tag. This is one of the few matches where the snarky crowd annoyed me. I'm cool with fans doing whatever they want and don't think it really matters much, but cheering the rich, snobby heels and not getting into the face-in-peril and hot tag format was dumb. Proposal at the end was sweet and they seemed genuinely happy. 

- H vs Rollins was where things started to go off the cliff. Way too long and the match structure is like Exhibit A why Bobby Roode is NXT champ. Those fellas certainly like methodical body work. I really don't get the Seth hate. His booking has been suspect but he's a dynamic performer. Awesome he got a clean win and gotta figure he'll be a top babyface on Raw moving forward. Feud with Joe next?

- Bray vs Randy was garbage. Not sure what the hell happened here but that match was straight out of a shitty Russo booked '99 PPV. Abrupt finish. Both guys will do better. 

- Women's SD match was solid. Fun sprint and the crowd didn't seem completely apathetic. 

- Main event is complicated. Taker hung on one year too long. This was Willie Mays falling down in the outfield or Ali getting clowned in his final fight stuff. More botches than you'll have seen in a long time in a WWE ring but...fuck it...Taker went out on his shield and got his moment to say bye. I'm not gonna shit on it. Anyone that wants to suggest that Taker should have won this match can get out of here. Tough spot for Reigns but the right call. He didn't look great either as he still seems to get nervous at times. 

On the whole...I dug it. Not a lot of unnecessary segments either.

• Like 5

Turning Bray would've made sense if he were still on Raw and could go against the machine he used to talk about. It would be far more difficult to think of a good rationale for a turn on Smackdown where you have two "nice guy" authority figures. 

Smartest pair of the night? Shane and AJ. Had a whipass match before the crowd was burnt out, and then avoided the traffic and got to the afferparty before they ran out of the good sushi. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Also, your "Dolph has been bullet proof" talking point is an interesting one, that had a lot of weight back in, say, 2014 when people still gave anything resembling a shit about him. Dolph got a Title Match at Summerslam this year that nobody cared about. He was turned heel after the Miz feud because nobody was cheering for him. The first time he was getting loud cheers in the last 18 months was because of how strong of a heel act Miz was at the time.

Well anytime he has been given a chance he has been over. Even if you bury him for a year, he gets cheered when pushed. 

Your view of the Miz feud is objectively wrong, since it is on video. Dolph was over enough, they seemingly changed direction to give him the IC title, when creative was firmly up Miz's ass. 

Next you contradict yourself, you say Miz was responsible for Dolph being cheered, but then Dolph had to be turned because he was not over. So which is it?

Also, your "babyfaces can't fight back against Miz's shooty comments" thing is also bullshit. In this entire feud, Cena has been going right back him just as strong.

Cena is on a different level. Why were Bryan and Dolph not allowed to take similar shots at Miz?

But I guess since he's playing of Daniel Bryan, which they used to intentionally help give Miz a fresh start, none of the great work he's done matters.

Why could Miz not do this without Daniel Bryan, if he is so talented. The only times Miz has been over as a singles act, are due to Bryan.

1 minute ago, Kronos said:

Anyone else feel like Ambrose mailed it in? Maybe mad about getting demoted?

Ambrose pretty much mails it in 90% of the time. But yeah, even for him that was apathy on display. Granted, I can see why being stuck on the pre-show with Corbin who is still not that good.

Dean's a talented guy but he gives no shits and obviously being part of the WWE system has jaded him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Ambrose pretty much mails it in 90% of the time, but yeah, even for him that was apathy on display. Granted, I can see why being stuck on the pre-show with Corbin who is still not that good.

Waiting for the footage where Corbin is like "I had so many great ideas and things I wanted to do to take it to the next level, but you know Dean does what Dean does."

• Like 8

Just now, piranesi said:

Waiting for the footage where Corbin is like "I had so many great ideas and things I wanted to do to take it to the next level, but you know Dean does what Dean does."

What comes around goes around, brother.

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

Guys, is there still a chance Smackdown could trade Randy Orton to Jakked or Metal in exchange for some old footage of Essa Rios?

I'd legit like to see the house show and dark matches he was working when he first got paired with Lita.

As for Mania, the pizza I had during Corbin's title match was really good. I liked more of the card than I disliked. But let me tell you, trying to explain why "Matt Hardy has weird hair now" to some that hasn't seen TNA in over a year is quite a chore. Some people just don't appreciate AI drones and volcanoes in wresting storylines.

Takers back has been rumored to be shot going in to this, Maybe he shoulda waited till next year and Retire in NO when he first lost at Mania. The match wasn't too bad. This mania wasn't that good I seen only the end of AJ and Shane on up. The Hardy's Surprise was good which explains the Ladder match booking, which I thought was so random at the time