DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

I thought the first half exceeded expectations.  I even thought the Cena proposal was actually kinda sweet (and I was expecting it to be horrible.) But wow did the show fall off a cliff from HHH/Rollins onwards.   Wyatt/Orton was literally a one-effect match (and that effect was cool.  Once.)  Goldberg/Lesnar may literally have been the longest match in history where only four moves where used.  And Taker/Reigns...both men look embarrassed when it was over.  

On the bright side, The Hardys looked so fucking happy to be back in WWE.  It's a shame we're going to end up with the WWE version of them just like the Dudleys a few years ago.

• Like 1

As HHH was finding yet another way to role-play a 13-year-olds study hall fantasy from 1988 in his awesome entrance, i was thinking:

"Another example of how in WWE when the card looks great the show sucks and when the card looks bad the show is amazing."

and then everything else happened and that theory is dead.

Can't believe more people aren't loving Brock/Goldberg. I had absolutely zero interest in watching that match. I think it was the MOTN. That was like The Hulk vs. The Thing or some sort of comic book/video game fight. They put in so much work in however long that match was. Great story, with a motivated Brock coming out strong, but Goldberg gets him a bit once he gets cocky, but then Brock survives Goldberg's run before murdering him.

That was such a good match.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, JCM said:

I started watching live right before Bray/Orton, and thought the last two hours was a boring pile of shit. Watching Taker like this was sad, but at least he didn't get hurt. Seeing him retire in the ring was quite a moment. Bray/Orton was one of the worst Mania matches I can recall. Brock/Goldberg was fun and didn't overstay it's welcome.

Up to HHH entrance, the show was quite good, apart from Jericho/Owens.

Miz is my MVP of the night. 

1 minute ago, MGFanJay said:

The Hardys stuff was easily the peak of the actual show. The main event was dreadful - but still a far better way for Taker to go out than the Shane match would've been. At least he lost to an actual full-time main event star.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2017/04/wwe-wrestlemania-33-ultimate-thrill-ride.htmlhttp://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2017/04/wwe-wrestlemania-33-ultimate-thrill-ride.html

I'm not sure how this utter shit show was better.  At least with Brock Lesnar everyone was genuinely shocked and surprised, and Lesnar has the background of being a legit combat athlete.  

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Now I'm just waiting for some bitter joyless cynic to say Braun should've ran out and clobbered Taker during his retirement ceremony so we could make a star.

Braun should have ran out and clobbered Taker during his retirement ceremony so we could make a star.

Ask and ye shall receive.

• Like 8

Man I've been a wrestling fan since I was a kid but I felt like tonight was almost a chore to get through. Lol

Whoever called The Smackdown Women getting the time shaft, once they were moved to the main show, was right on the money. It was good to see Naomi regain the title though especially in her hometown. And I dug Mickie's attire. As for the actual match, it was what it was. I'm sure it was a throwback to the old school 3 minute Raw matches for some of them.

The Raw Women's match fared a little better. It made sense for them to team up to eliminate Nia. I like smart wrestlers. What wasn't so smart was Sasha and Bayley going at one another when Charlotte left the ring, when they could have easily chased her down, tossed her back in, and eliminated her so that they could have the match that they'd been wanting to have. Either way, it was cool to see Bayley retain. Now there is no question on her legitimacy as champ. 

Cool to see Neville retain too. I really like him as a heel and Austin will gain a lot from the chase like Ember Moon. 

Just now, Greggulator said:

Can't believe more people aren't loving Brock/Goldberg. I had absolutely zero interest in watching that match. I think it was the MOTN. That was like The Hulk vs. The Thing or some sort of comic book/video game fight. They put in so much work in however long that match was. Great story, with a motivated Brock coming out strong, but Goldberg gets him a bit once he gets cocky, but then Brock survives Goldberg's run before murdering him.

That was such a good match.

Match deserves added praise as it was worth seeing unlike Rollins/HHH and Wyatt/Orton which sucked.

Other than Mojo winning and Wyatt losing, I liked this show.

I hoped that Rollins would use the torch as a weapon and try and light Triple H on fire. The match was unsanctioned, why not?

When Taker started taking off his jacket, I thought he was going to pull a Bruce Dern in "Coming Home"

This show would have been an hour shorter if they cut the ramp in half.

• Like 1

Goldberg taking the three Germans then springing from off camera to spear Brock was a tremendous visual. That match seriously over performed and didn't overstay its welcome. Taker didn't have anything left, but the second half of that match being booked like a euthinization was appalling.  

The thing is if they had the balls to turn Roman for real, having him go full heel after taking the chair because he couldn't put Undertaker down and having that match be a turning point in his character where he's never "good" again would have been great.

It would have meant something. It would have underscored that even at the end Taker was unbeatable. It would have let Roman take his natural course as a heel and provided a moment to look back on in his career.

• Like 5

The card they could have had is the real sad part of this.

AJ retains at the Rumble. Owens also retains. Joe debuts at the Rumble and wins it as a 'free agent'.

AJ retains at the Chamber as Orton and Wyatt have a miscommunication. Harper says Orton has been planning this. Wyatt is torn. It's the Vince/Dom/Bryan relationship from the original Fast and Furious. "He's a cop!"

Joe declares for SmackDown Live. No point him being on RAW if he isn't interfering in the HHH match only for Balor to return and balance that.

Strowman still costs Reigns at the RUmble but then beats him at Fastlane. Taker calls out Strowman. Reigns says he isn't done yet. Triple threat.

Rest of the card is basically the same (which I think was ok) but the top of the card now reads - 

Taker v Reigns v Strowman - Can Taker make it out of his yard with the 2 biggest dogs in WWE fighting there with him? It takes 2 men to put the Deadman down for good with Reigns getting the win after Strowman does his fair share of the damage. 

Joe v Styles - WWE Title - The build up for these two, title match at WrestleMania, in Orlando of all places...

Orton v Harper - Who does Wyatt side with? Is Orton in Wyatt's head or he is really a believer? Is Harper just jealous that Wyatt has a new BFF?

Much more intrigue and a far better match quality.

Once they booked themselves into a corner there was no way to avoid this shitshow.

• Like 4

Roman is going to be pushed as Cena 2.0 until his merch stops selling, if he does turn heel anyway, he'll get more over and become a super face and turn into Cena 1.5 who will then be turned again and turn back into Cena 2.0 that he currently is. He may start playing a banjo instead of doing rap disses though.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

As my friend Justin would say, "Oofta."

I never saw the match, but I can't see Tenryu being even as mobile as Taker at that point, it would kind of shock me if he could even do anything of note after the surgeries and injuries in his last few years. Plus he's a decade older and worked a very physical style for a long long time.

Why didn't he just retire after losing to Lesnar?  People actually believed in that stupid streak, but it ended.  People were genuinely shocked and surprised when it ended.  WrestleMania was his yard blah blah blah.  So if he's not the biggest dog in the yard, that's the perfect time to hang 'em up.  It was really sad to see him go on this long and much longer than he should've.

• Like 1

Every year I doubt Shane McMahon and every year he murders himself into pulp for my amusement.

I don't know what I like more now HHH living out teenage fantasies as a 50 year old man or Shane being a middle aged Punk-rocker who still goes to hardcore shows even when everyone thinks he's a narc now.