DVDVR Message Board

UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson II (4/8/2017) - Buffalo, NY (KeyBank Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Re: Miesha Tate

The same people that worked the MSG show in November most likely aren't there in Buffalo today. They probably got this cleared with the commission when Gonzalez took the fight and then the local commission people found out this morning. This is what it exactly reads like. You don't let someone cut weight, weigh in 5 minutes before the deadline to weigh in, and then call a fight off 30 minutes later for something everyone in the commission should have known already. 

A lot of reporters are asking about Cormier holding his towel on his second weigh-in attempt because this apparently makes you appear to weigh less?  Is that really true?  Then the commission guy talked about it and said it would only make you look like you weigh more.

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

A lot of reporters are asking about Cormier holding his towel on his second weigh-in attempt because this apparently makes you appear to weigh less?  Is that really true?  Then the commission guy talked about it and said it would only make you look like you weigh more.

I believe the trick is pushing down on the towel and thus transfer some of your weight to the towel and off the scale.

To DC's defense, the guys holding the towel on the first attempt let Cormier walk away and show his entire bare ass. Also, I think Cormier was looking to see if he was on weight and the towel was obscuring the scale. They were basically rushing because there was almost 2 minutes left to weigh in and Rumble still hadn't weighed in yet. The last 3-4 minutes before the deadline was Pearl Gonzalez weighing in and getting rushed off, Cormier missing on the first attempt, Pearl Gonzalez coming out to get back on the scale for media photos, Cormier rushing back to weigh in, and finally Rumble weighing in with 20-30 seconds left to weigh in.

Well Cormier technically had two hours.  He was already told he had two hours before he weighed in a second time.  Not sure how he lost 1.2 pounds in 90 seconds, but whatever.  It wouldn't be the first time someone's weight got fudged for a title fight.  Mark Hominick's weight was off for his title fight by Jose Aldo, but the commission just let it go through anyway.

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well Cormier technically had more than two hours.  

You have the two hours, but no fighter in the world wants to cut for two more hours. He looked miserable going up to the scale on the first try. He wanted to get that shit over with.

I would not be shocked at all if Gillespie is on the Fox in Long Island given that he is a Bellmore Kickboxing fighter. He also got a twenty second win so that might increase his chances to be on the main card.

The FS1 prelims were pretty entertaining.

- Cummins had a good comeback after being hurt a bunch of times early in the fight.

- Burgos pretty much pieced up Rosa.

- Usman dominated Strickland not only on the ground, but on the feet as well. Usman is going to be hard to beat at 170.

- Jury smoked De La Torre and came away with an emphatic win that he very much needed.

• Like 1

This is so painful. Why the fuck are you interviewing a pissed off, probably concussed dude? Just brutal. And wasn't it Dan Miragliotta who Joe shat over during the Means knee controversy? And he's throwing him under the bus again. That was milliseconds away from being illegal. Such a sweet fight up to that dogshit ending too.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:30 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe the trick is pushing down on the towel and thus transfer some of your weight to the towel and off the scale.

Yep,  you're shifting your center of gravity.

This is why NASA used to weigh astronaut candidates via mass displacement calculation by having them step into a tub full of water rather than using a conventional scale.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Why the fuck are you interviewing a pissed off, probably concussed dude? 

They had to talk to Weidman since there was a controversy. However, those were clearly legal knees. Dan should have been paying closer attention to the fingers. I believed he was right behind Weidman so he was definitely out of position. Also, I have idea why Dan was telling Weidman he had 3 minutes and 13 seconds left when he had just found out the blows were legal. That was another big fuckup after the initial one of stopping it in the first place. He intervened and let Chris game the system.

Has to be the first time there was more/same number of retirements on a UFC show than knockouts (although technically Mousasi won in a TKO).   Rumble's strategy seemed to be exact like the first fight except this time he cardio was going to be better.  Baffling.   While I would love to see him fight more, it is proven he can't beat Cormier unless it is one good shot and it would take a ton of ring rust for him to beat Jones

The first knee on Weidman was clearly with his knuckles down but the 2nd one which actually did the damage was only illegal if you have one of those NFL Instant Replay booths because maybe a finger nail was on the ground.   Based on the way tonight was handled, the UFC is ready for a replay system and thank god for that

Disappointing that NYSAC doesn't have its act together.  Sucks to see Johnson go, but he seems to know it's time for him to go.  Can't fault that.  I still don't get why Johnson was the favorite at all here.  

So now the UFC has lost another top 5 light heavyweight after they already willingly gutted their division.  But the upside is that Shogun could be back in the title mix sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

DC absolutely smothered Rumble in the last fight so I was also a bit surprised that Cormier was the underdog.

I can only surmise news that the rough weight cut shifted the Vegas booking odds to Johnson's favor at the last minute..

• Like 1