DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

For those who might be a little unsettled about the RT score, GitS was okay but don't expect some mindblowing shit. Basically, the one really major scene Beat Takeshi had stopped the film from veering into the territory of the bad. So if you love him doing something badass, you will probably enjoy it a little more.

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For those who might be a little unsettled about the RT score, GitS was okay but don't expect some mindblowing shit.

I didn't expect the already controversial GiTS to put a lot of asses into movie seats this weekend, but I certainly didn't think it would be outperformed by The Boss Baby.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I didn't expect the already controversial GiTS to put a lot of asses into movie seats this weekend, but I certainly didn't think it would be outperformed by The Boss Baby.

I would be surprised, but after talking to some people before and after seeing the movie, I see tons of folks don't even know what the fuck Ghost in the Shell is. Once you get past the online nerd bubble, it's slim pickings in terms of potential box office buzz. It's troubling that I am not even a big fan, but I have more knowledge about it than everybody I've ran into. The theater I was at (mind you, it's Northwest Arkansas aka Wally World country) was a third full on a Saturday afternoon but EVERYONE around me looked like they would be at the theater for this. They needed a lot more than Scarlett Johansson to save this film. The casual interest was so low and I don't think whitewashing had anything to do with it. You can't be offended by whitewashing if you have no fucking clue what the source material is.

Hollywood is in the star business. Johansson is a much bigger star than any Asian actress I can think of, so I think the racism talk is a little overblown, at least at that level. Why there would be no comparable star is more the issue, but anime is a fringe property. Its not my thing, but it has its audience. That may not be big enough to support blockbuster scale live action remakes, with or without "whitewashing". The studio heads (or whoever greenlights various projects) want to keep their jobs, which means going as bankable as they can, so I think most of them try to give the public what they think they want. Whether they are in touch enough to actually do that is a seperate question. . . 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Hollywood is in the star business. Johansson is a much bigger star than any Asian actress I can think of, so I think the racism talk is a little overblown, at least at that level. Why there would be no comparable star is more the issue, but anime is a fringe property. Its not my thing, but it has its audience. That may not be big enough to support blockbuster scale live action remakes, with or without "whitewashing". The studio heads (or whoever greenlights various projects) want to keep their jobs, which means going as bankable as they can, so I think most of them try to give the public what they think they want. Whether they are in touch enough to actually do that is a seperate question. . . 

As it applies to stuff like Gods of Egypt and Exodus, I think people should be more offended by whitewashing when it's quality roles. Those two films were going to eat dick at the box office anyway with the amount of stilted, one dimensional roles, cliche writing, and mechanical acting. Proyas and Ridley Scott are definitely out of touch (Sanders is more of a hack than out of touch IMO), but Scott didn't say much with the "Muhammad such and such" line that he would not have gotten away with it in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I mean Anthony Quinn (a white Mexican who Anglo sized his name to pass) played a bunch of Arabian roles and that's not exactly big talking a point nowadays really. Ghost in the Shell wasn't as bad as those films, but you could have slid any actress of any race or ethnicity into the Motoko role and it still would have not merited a $100 million+ budget with that director and screenplay. It was doomed from the beginning.

If Sony wants do Cleopatra with some director they found off the scrapheap or internally from one of their projects and top line it with all white actors, I say let them do that just so they can eat ass at the box office. Losing money is the only proven way they can get over their fictional fetish of having white people play roles that would be better suited for people meant to play those roles.

Pan fits into that as well by the way with the Rooney Mara thing. I don't know how I made it through the entire film.

• Like 1

Where's Bad News?

Du Jour is the hottest boyband in forever!

Also, surely the Blues Brothers and the Leningrad Cowboys deserve a mention. Also, they got Brian Slade but not the rest of the Velvet Goldmine bands, like the Wylde Rattz. I'm not going to blame them for missing the Children of Paradise though, because almost no-one's seen Roadkill. Although it does feature the greatest driving lesson in cinema history:

"OK, this is the steering wheel. Turn it left, you go left. Turn it right... yeah. This is the gas, and that's the brake. Uuuhh.. Don't use the brake unless you have to. OK, let's go!"

• Like 2

I'm glad somebody mentioned DuJour, so I didn't have to.

Two bands are booked twice.

Sonic Death Monkey = Barry Jive and the Uptown Five.
The Oneders = Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters

Also, Gwar and Andrew WK exist in the real world.

And IIRC, Sparkle Motion was a dance troupe, not a band.

50 minutes ago, Ace said:

Two bands are booked twice.

Sonic Death Monkey = Barry Jive and the Uptown Five.
The Oneders = Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters

Also, Gwar and Andrew WK exist in the real world.

And IIRC, Sparkle Motion was a dance troupe, not a band.

I suppose that relates to my previous post since Stab Master Arson and Dead Mike are both members of CB4.

NWH is also missing from this bill.  WHAT~??

Since the house band from the Mos Eisley cantina is on that tour, I can now bitch about no invitation being sent to The Riverbottom Nightmare Band.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I suppose that relates to my previous post since Stab Master Arson and Dead Mike are both members of CB4.

NWH is also missing from this bill.  WHAT~??

Since the house band from the Mos Eisley cantina is on that tour, I can now bitch about no invitation being sent to The Riverbottom Nightmare Band.

The River Bottom Nightmare Band own all of your souls. I also think Emmet, Ma, & the boys should be on there as well, nothing wrong with a little swamp rock now and again.

• Like 1