DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Adam said:

It's funny you post that just now, I literally re-read that passage from his book last week and kept meaning to find it on Youtube. All of Jerichos books are just tremendous.

There's some belief out there that Jericho may have made this video up.  It's never on Youtube, and if you go Googling it, you get a lot of message board discussions and NO ONE seems to have seen it except Jericho and there seems to be a growing feeling that it might be something Jericho made up/exaggerated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

One of Jesus and one of Ricky and Robert. Both photos were at the exact same level, which I'm sure was a huge honour for the Savior.

Such a fantastic line. 

Holy shit...I'm doing a European trip this summer, and my first night on the other side of the pond is Saturday July 8th in London. Which happens to be the same night as the British J Cup. I wasn't planning on doing anything wrestling related, but I just might check it out.

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Holy shit...I'm doing a European trip this summer, and my first night on the other side of the pond is Saturday July 8th in London. Which happens to be the same night as the British J Cup. I wasn't planning on doing anything wrestling related, but I just might check it out.

SPOILER: Zack Sabre Jr wins.

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I agree. The reason it worked is b/c you actually believe that New Jack was a dangerous motherfucker. I was kinda thinking that it would be dangerous for him to cut those promos in the South but then I thought, "who would actually try that fucking guy?" I could see people getting worked up over his comments and then once they got close to doing it, thinking better of it once they saw him outside of the ring b/c New Jack isn't really playing a character.

The build up to Undertaker coming in is very well done. New Jack is clearly scared but he does not over do it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Victator said:

The build up to Undertaker coming in is very well done. New Jack is clearly scared but he does not over do it. 

Is there any footage of that Undertaker match anywhere?

17 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Kalisto was 30 years old. 

Maybe they can get one of Kevin Von Erich's kids to wear an Ultimate Kalisto bodysuit the following week.

Has there ever been another guy with as much promise as Kalisto who was shit on this much? Not shit on like "let's stooge him out in comedy segments" but just by having him not only be weak but basically a helpless child who exists to be bullied and tormented and is almost never seen unless someone is stuffing him into something or throwing him through something or actually making him hit himself while saying "I like to suck big dicks. MMMMmmmmm I can't get enough."

Also has it ever helped anyone get over by beating him up?

• Like 2

New Jack in SMW was great, but of course the trick was that it looked so sincere because New Jack was just cutting the type of promos that most black dudes would love to cut on the types of people who came to SMW shows in the first place. I bet at least half of all black dudes in this country have cut that type of promo while watching the news post-election. I think I cut a promo on par with New Jack in SMW just last week.

That's not to discredit New Jack so much as it is to say that wrestling needs more people tapping into real-life, barely-simmering personal rage for their promos. 

9 hours ago, caley said:

There's some belief out there that Jericho may have made this video up.  It's never on Youtube, and if you go Googling it, you get a lot of message board discussions and NO ONE seems to have seen it except Jericho and there seems to be a growing feeling that it might be something Jericho made up/exaggerated.

Someone should attempt to track that video down.  Then find the family.

Netflix documentaries have had shakier themes than that.

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Victator said:

If Undertaker goes in the WWE Hall next year, will they put Kane in too? It seems logical but I would think Taker should induct him and they have never done something where somebody going in inducts someone the same night.

Though X-Pac and Daniel Bryan would be good choices. Maybe Big Show, but I read once they did not get along well away from the ring. 

X-Pac for Kane is a good call.

I could see someone like Steph doing it if they want to talk about all the work he has done backstage and the transition he has made from in ring to helping run the company.

For Undertaker its either Michaels or Foley.

Foley is an excellent choice, but I got to think if there was ever one man that Vince himself should induct, it should be The Undertaker.  Vince gave Taker what in retrospect should be a year-long gimmick at best and Taker made it arguably the greatest character the WWE ever created.

• Like 1

Assuming Undertaker goes in the WWE Hall of Fame next year. Do you think Taker would stay in-character for his entire speech? I just can't imagine Taker in a tuxedo for an event he's never really attended or been a part of since it became a thing

• Like 2