DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It's rare I get these anymore with the Network and everything, but I'm interested in the Owens documentary so I'll surely pick up a copy.

I heard how amazing Shibata/Okada is and it very well maybe MOTY going by people's reactions.  But if Shibata does headbutts like that and doesn't know better then I'm just not going to watch it.  That shit is stupid and makes me think much less of the guy.

• Like 1

I don't remember where I read it, but Tanahashi explains Shibata's views in his book.

Ah, Here it is:

"Shibata and I passed the tryout on the same day, but I entered NJPW a year after when I graduated from college, so that made him senior to me by a year. Age-wise, he is three years younger than me. Back then, I used to call him “Shibata-san” and he used to call me “Tanahashi-kun” (‘san’ is superior to ‘kun’ in terms of prefix). The relations of Three New Musketeers were somewhat complicated. Nakamura and Shibata were the same age, but Nakamura is 4 years junior to Shibata in the industry. But when they’ve faced each other in amateur wrestling in high school, Nakamura won. Although the two had not much in common and didn’t admire each other, wrestlers in that kind of relationship tend to create a surprisingly high quality match. “Shibata vs Nakamura” is a wild-card matchup for the current NJPW in my opinion. The two are both adept at creating a dangerous and tense atmosphere, so it will be undoubtedly a must-see match. My feelings for Shibata are complicated. He is clumsy, too pure, and once he gets an idea about “What pro-wrestling should be” into his head, he can only move forward in that direction. When he stated, “I’m starting to enjoy pro-wrestling” in 2013 G1 CLIMAX, I snapped at him and said “Cut the crap!” On one hand, this was a rage against him for leaving the company at desperate times. “Of course you’ll enjoy wrestling in front of a full packed hectic crowd!” But to be honest, I wanted him to realize that long before this. He should have realized sooner. Only if he would have stayed in NJPW and worked together with us to make things better... I’m fully aware of the reason why he couldn’t come to enjoy wrestling at that time, and that he left the company after much agonizing. So on the other hand, I feel happy for what he’s said. But I found his last word in NJPW (2005) “I’m not going to be a white-collar (yes-man) wrestler” offensive. Shibata has always turned down what the company brought to him saying, "I'm not interested” but when you ask him what he wants to do, he never came up with an actual plan. There’s no way the fans would support him, and Shibata himself would eventually reach a dead-end. That’s why I refuted, “Shibata is like a junior high student who has just entered his rebellious age. Pro-wrestling is a brawl? Killing? Then why are you wrestling in the first place!” These words didn’t just come out of my mouth out of anger, this is what I’ve been advocating for years. And I still feel the same. And last year when he fought in the G1, he got good reaction from the crowd with his Bachi Bachi (MMA/Brawler/Battle Arts style) match. I felt the locker room feel uneasy about it. But it didn’t perturb me at all. I could imagine to a certain extent that the crowd will react to slaps and kicks. I take pride in saying that Shibata’s style was accepted because “Tanahashi / Okada” styles were established as a basis. There is a foundation for “A bit old-school NJPW” style matches to be accepted in the current NJPW. This is not a bluff. I believe so from the bottom of my heart. There is no “Next” to those Bachi Bachi style matches. As I pointed earlier when I talked about dangerous moves, fans will seek for more intensity. And the wrestlers have to escalate their violence. And a gruesome scene that you would want to look away will take place on the ring again. I believe that the true nature of pro-wrestling lies in arousing fans’ interest, making them wonder, “Where will this fight lead to next?” Is there “Next” to Shibata’s pro-wrestling?"

• Like 11

On 10/04/2017 at 4:33 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Ric Flair's deal reminds me of a line I heard from an Amy Winehouse doc I saw on a music channel a few years back.

"Well, we knew it wasn't going to end well. But she didn't want help. And, eh, we couldn't lock her up or stop her."

Let's be honest: If anything happens, we'll be sad, yes. But we won't be surprised.  

• Like 2

As much as I enjoy Shibata's work (and those of all great wrestling "meat-choppers" and crowbars) at times, Tana's on the mark. There's no future in it when you can't pull off an exciting match without a shoot headbutt that busts yourself open hardway and possibly seriously injures yourself or your opponent. It limits you to being a special attraction like Lesnar and if you're only getting your jollies stiffing people, there's probably a bar you can go to that can provide that instead. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Reed said:

Ric Flair's deal reminds me of a line I heard from an Amy Winehouse doc I saw on a music channel a few years back.

"Well, we knew it wasn't going to end well. But she didn't want help. And, eh, we couldn't lock her up or stop her."

Let's be honest: If anything happens, we'll be sad, yes. But we won't be surprised.  

They want me to go to rehab and I say WOO WOO WOOOOOO

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Reed said:

So, he got kicked out for basically cutting a JCP-era promo on the bartender?  Eh, who hasn't?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, caley said:

So James Laurinaitis (Son of Road Warrior Animal, newphew of People Power) just announced his retirement from the NFL.  If Jim Ross was still in charge of talent, how quickly would he be in WWE?

Faster than you can say Boomer Sooner.

Given his lineage, if James just posts 1 tweet saying "I want to be a pro wrestler," he'll get sent a developmental contract from whichever McMahon's walking by the payroll department in Titan Towers that hour.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Peck said:

Glenn Jacobs' campaign slogan in his bid for Mayor of Knox County, TN is "Lighting The Way For Our Future" with an image of a flame.

https://jacobsformayor.com/

I chuckled.

You know that at every town hall meeting, debate, or pancake breakfast he attends, when he shows up, someone's going to holler, "That's gotta be, that's gotta be....Kaaaaane!"  Every one of them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zev said:

You know that at every town hall meeting, debate, or pancake breakfast he attends, when he shows up, someone's going to holler, "That's gotta be, that's gotta be....Kaaaaane!"  Every one of them.

That's fine. Just don't bring up Isaac Yankem, D.D.S. during phoners. 

• Like 3

It's been 6 years since Larry Sweeney died. He's a guy I think about a lot. What would a guy with such an outsized personality and sense of humor been able to accomplish on today's scene?

#12LargeBrother

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zev said:

If his pyro doesn't go off during his entrance then you know Kane is booked to win the debate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I won't link to them because fuck them and their shitty, malware-ridden site, but PWInsider is apparently reporting that Finn got concussed by Jinder Mahal last night.

Anyone surprised?  It looked like Mahal momentarily knocked him out.

• Like 1