DVDVR Message Board

Lies Wrestling Fans Tell

Have you ever been around a group of wrestling fans, be it casuals or smarks, at a show or even online, that once they start to talk you can detect their bullshit from a mile away? Like, for instance they'll say they drank beer with a group of wrestlers and tell you they drank said group of wrestlers under the table, when in fact they'll get comatose drunk off a single can of Budweiser NA. Some of the lies I've been told by fans have not only stuck with me through the years, but have given more ammo to the people that think we're no more than Neanderthals.

One that I can think of off hand was told to me at a Smackdown/ECW house show in 2008. As the fans are filling up the Savannah Civic Center and me and a friend of mine are getting back to our seats from getting beer, we're talking to the guys sitting in front of us. One of these guys proceeds to tell us about the many major things that he's seen in person at shows, and in the front row at that arena no less. One of the things he claims to have seen is the Night Of The Skywalkers match between the Roadies and the Midnights, LIVE AT THE SAVANNAH CIVIC CENTER!!! I WAS THERE, MAN!!! My friend and I are looking at each other like, "Can you believe this fucking guy??" Then he claims to have been there when Rude beat Sting for the US title at the Clash Of the Champions. Now that one is a bit more believable since it did actually happen at said venue, but still, do I look like I have "ASSHOLE" written on my forehead? 

Alright, let's hear your stories. Assuming they're true, you scumbags! :D

A fan at a CZW deathmatch show in Delaware told people Nick Mondo was rolling around in 'fake' glass. He also said that Nosawa was "not really from Japan." The same young guy also said that Nick Gage was Justice Pain's brother.

I can't say I miss Zandig's CZW shows at all. One of the many many reasons I don't like live wrestling.

• Like 1

This is probably slightly different from what you're asking but oh well...

when the attitude era came around I noticed more and more kids my age were getting into wrestling and would openly talk about it. Whereas I'd been around since hulkamania and my dad knew a big wrestling fan at work who would give me all his powerslam magazines after he'd read them. 

Anyway, the shit I would hear at school. One guy heard I was a wrestling fan and decided to spend a good 10 minutes explaining that Vince didn't own WWF, that was all for show, in fact Hulk Hogan owned it, despite being in WCW at the time. 

Everybody's heard the "3 ultimate warriors" thing as a rumour, but when a guy who's been interested in wrestling for 5 minutes is telling you for a FACT he kept dying, it gets a bit tiresome. Simply because you can't reason with them. "No, its one guy called Jim". 

"No, dude. That's just the current one"

"ok"

then when Owen died they said they knew people on the inside and Owen was just talking time off.

• Like 1

My biological father wasn't really a part of my life growing up, but as a kid I knew he was tall, traveled a lot, and had red hair.

So I gave serious consideration to the possibility that he was The Undertaker, and may have put this forward as fact on more than one occasion to try and earn neighborhood cred.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

So I gave serious consideration to the possibility that he was The Undertaker, and may have put this forward as fact on more than one occasion to try and earn neighborhood cred.

Do you get mad when folks post about how your dad is old and haggard and needs to stop having matches?

• Like 15

Had a girl I know tell me that Shane McMahon was actually adopted; I was dubious.  My friend believed it wholesale.  He said it was creepy because they looked so much alike on the 'Invasion' poster but could not be dissuaded that it wasn't true, despite it being just a casual acquaintance of ours bringing it up ONE TIME.  A quick scan of the Internet finds that Shane McMahon once made a comment on 'Off the Record' about being adopted that was done in a joking manner, but people have chosen to read more into it over the years and believe that he went "off-script" because you can see how "mad" Stephanie was when he said it.

• Like 1

A kid I went to school with told everyone his dad used to wrestle as "The Masked Superstar", and had matches with Hogan, Andre, and Sgt. Slaughter. Me, being a nerdy mark, knew he was lying cause the kid's last name wasn't Eadie. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I was at my friend's wedding and the officiant found out I was a wrestling fan. He proceeded to tell me that his chiropractor and good friend Bob, used to be Nikita Koloff

I don't know how many people, in my 15 years in pro wrestling, have lied and claimed they were somebody or know somebody. Especially masked wrestlers from the 70s...it's like anyone can make a claim to being one. There was a good stretch in 2006-2009 that if anyone contacted me directly or through a friend that they used to be "The Hangman" my immediate reaction would be "tell that guy to fuck off."

And why always The Hangman? At least four different guys. Never an Assassin or a Super Destroyer, always a Hangman.

I used to work with a major moron who insisted Lanny Poffo and Marc Mero were the same person and he knows because he talked to them about it at the Hart House. You can't argue with stupid people.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I enjoyed all my years on Baywatch, brother. I slammed David Hasselhoff when he weighed 300 pounds. He almost died. I suggested he quit acting and become a German pop sensation. All true.

I heard you were going to be the new guitar player for Nirvana after Kurt Cobain died, brother. You suggested that Dave Grohl go his own way and form his own band.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I remember some guy telling people that Dustin Rhodes was so incredible, even his 50th best match was better than any match HHH ever had.

Is it a lie if he really believes it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I remember some guy telling people that Dustin Rhodes was so incredible, even his 50th best match was better than any match HHH ever had.

What is ol' Goldust up to nowadays?

17 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I don't know how many people, in my 15 years in pro wrestling, have lied and claimed they were somebody or know somebody. Especially masked wrestlers from the 70s...it's like anyone can make a claim to being one. There was a good stretch in 2006-2009 that if anyone contacted me directly or through a friend that they used to be "The Hangman" my immediate reaction would be "tell that guy to fuck off."

And why always The Hangman? At least four different guys. Never an Assassin or a Super Destroyer, always a Hangman.

I used to work with a major moron who insisted Lanny Poffo and Marc Mero were the same person and he knows because he talked to them about it at the Hart House. You can't argue with stupid people.

Were any of them Bruce Pobanz?

• Like 5

Didn't think I had any sort of story like this, but remembered something today.  At some wrestling show - I think it might have been an ECW house show shortly before they folded, around 2000 - there was a guy sitting next to me, probably in his early 20s, and he was telling me RVD invited him backstage at a WWE show and he smoked weed with RVD and Randy Orton.  Was saying that it hit Orton so hard that he was just sitting there unable to speak.

Not really the same thing, but somewhere around that same time frame, early 2000s, there was a WWE-produced documentary on Edge and Christian, and there was a part where they went back to their hometown where they grew up, and they were walking around their elementary school.  And it probably wasn't during school hours, but for some reason there was a kid wandering around the halls, and he sees them and goes "Whoa!! Edge and Christian!!"  This is all in the documentary.  And I was thinking "That kid probably told people, and it was a true story, but there's no way anyone believed a word of what he was saying."  I mean, I guess once the documentary came out he would've had proof.

• Like 2