DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I watch a lot of kid's TV, because of my daughter, and baby-momma doesn't ever want to talk about anything except cleaning and getting a different job, so I want to vent a couple of things:

1) "Jessie" (Disney) - Fuck that Raavi kid.  Terrible acting.  Terrible terrible goddamn terrible.  In the premise of the show, if I had adopted him, I'd be pissed at myself if I had lost the receipt.  And I get the idea of the water lizard or whatever - along the same lines as having Perry be a platypus in "Phinea & Ferb" - but what a stupid idea, given how little of any of the shows revolve around the kids having a pet anyway.

2) "Good Luck Charlie (Disney) - Bridget Mendler looks disturbingly similar to this girl I dated in high school.  I mean, the resemblence is freakin' uncanny.  And did they add the neighbor and Teddy's best friend characters simply for the diversity?  I think so ...  And my wife does not believe me when I tell her that P.J.'s name is "Potty John."

3) "Dog with a Blog" (Disney) - The kid that plays Avery ... that girl can act.  I swore that she was Beth Littleford's real kid, because there are scenes where Avery uses mannerism that are EXACTLY like the mom character, and you would assume that would only come with prolonged presence around each other.  Adds a bit to the show.  Also, me and the kid were watching "Good Luck Charlie," an early one, and the Avery kid played a role as the youngest son's classmate helping build a volcano for science class ... she has blond hair in "Dog with a Blog," but she was a brunette in "Good Luck Charlie," and my daughter kept swearing up and down that they were two separate actresses because they had different hair colors.  No wonder the idea of a talking dog running its own website - despite the lack of opposable thumbs required to press the mouse buttons - appeals to her.  And who read's Stan's blog, anyway?  I guess he has to have something to put in his signature, when he posts in online forums ...

One last thing: My god, does the dad in "Good Luck Charlie" look like he could be Triple H's freakin' dad?

Man, I recall dude's saying they couldn't watch Eastbound & Down in front of their old ladies. I figured it got bad, but not this bad.  I thought I was creepy after thinking that the redhead bitch from Sky High was insanely fuckable... CHECKS WIKIPEDIA... Well, send the cops over  Then again, that's only five years younger than me.  Then again JESUS CHRIST I'm getting to that point where they can be more than ten years younger and still utterly legal.

Aw, now that is just mean!

I wonder if Elizabeth Berkley's partner is going to be a pole?

#jokesnoonewillget

Who wouldn't get that?

People who were, unlike myself, smart enough never to watch Showgirls ever in their lives.

How old are you by chance?  It came out when I was 14, and I made a date with myself when it premiered on Showtime.  Seriously, kids that have access to the internet will never have the joy I felt when I first watched that movie.  I heard about the movie probably a year before I actually watched it, and I had to wait all that time in order to see what all the fuss was about.  I will not stand for any disparaging remarks about Showgirls.

When that movie is on the channel-changing stops.

Ok, I think I have it figured out:

Sorkin only wanted to do 1 season of Newsroom, but because it was good, HBO made him do another.  Sorkin doesn't want to do it anymore, so he made this season as shit as possible so that everyone would stop watching and it just ends.   Right?

Only explaniation I can think of as to why it got this bad this quick.

I'm watching COMEDY BANG! BANG! and realizing...I don't ever actually remember seeing Selma Blair in anything. Ever.That's weird, right?

I think you are a bit older than me, but those of us who were in high school when Cruel Intentions came out will always be able to name at least one of her movies. She was also Reese Witherspoon's competition in Legally Blonde.

I'm watching COMEDY BANG! BANG! and realizing...I don't ever actually remember seeing Selma Blair in anything. Ever.That's weird, right?

I think you are a bit older than me, but those of us who were in high school when Cruel Intentions came out will always be able to name at least one of her movies.She was also Reese Witherspoon's competition in Legally Blonde.

Holy shit!  That was her kissing Buffy???

The weird thing is she's actually my age.  But I guess she played way younger.  I think I'm finally figuring out how this happened.  I may or may not have been super stoned in the late 90s and somehow have her mixed up with Neve Campbell, Clea Duvall, and maybe two other people (like Faruza Balk is in there too I think).

Like a generation of moody brunettes lost in a final pot haze before total adulthood.  I could probably say the same with Josh Hartnett, Ryan Phillippe, and a bunch of dudes too who were big in like 97-2001.

Ok, I think I have it figured out:

Sorkin only wanted to do 1 season of Newsroom, but because it was good, HBO made him do another.  Sorkin doesn't want to do it anymore, so he made this season as shit as possible so that everyone would stop watching and it just ends.   Right?

Only explaniation I can think of as to why it got this bad this quick.

The only problem with that is HBO ordered up season 3. It's so bad. How on Earth could Sorkin have messed this up this bad? When you watch the pilot, the overwhelming feeling is that you were getting Network: the TV Series. Since then, it's just been storylines that the writers on Mad About You would laugh their asses off at because of how bad they are, and Sorkin appears to be attempting to keep this show afloat solely on the back of the dialogue of the characters, which is sooooooooo fake and hokey. Meanwhile, Veep can't get half the advertising or press the Newsroom gets. It is just the laziest and most uninspired show. It started strong, and then it became clear that this was Sorkin's attempt at mimicking Mike Judge's movie career.

There's still a good show there, somewhere, but Sorkin needs to go, as does everyone else, except for Daniels and Waterson.

The first season trailer was the high point of the show.  It was amazing. 

But even the pilot was pretty preachy and fairy-tale and bad.  I had this show on probation from the first episode...and gave up by the fourth or fifth.  Hell, I made through a whole season of THE BORGIAS and NOTHING happened on that show (I just liked watching and looking everyone up on Wiki-Poo...like "Hey, that's Savanarola!  He's a real dude!).

• Like 1

Wasn't he also DL's neighbor on the Hugleys?

He was the gay stripper in the ass-less pants in that one American Pie movie. 

I'm stuck on him as a murderer on CSI.  I think he beat a hooker to death with his gun, might have been Ellie Brass' hooker friend.  Either way, he plays an exterminator on "Good Luck Charlie," which always makes me think, when he's called over in one episode about a gopher or something, that he's going to beat it to death with his gun ... after he fucks it.

I hate "Good Luck Charlie."

• Like 1

Man, I recall dude's saying they couldn't watch Eastbound & Down in front of their old ladies. I figured it got bad, but not this bad.  I thought I was creepy after thinking that the redhead bitch from Sky High was insanely fuckable... CHECKS WIKIPEDIA... Well, send the cops over  Then again, that's only five years younger than me.  Then again JESUS CHRIST I'm getting to that point where they can be more than ten years younger and still utterly legal.

Danielle Panabaker?  She was good in Mr. Brooks - a FANTASTIC movie that criminally didn't get the trilogy it was supposed to be.

So I'm now a third of the way into season 7 of The Office.  There was definitely a dropoff in quality with season 6, and again with season 7, but not into the godawful territory, thankfully.  Still, you can see lots of elements of creative burnout - including a dance party sequence during Jim & Pam's wedding in season 6 after having basically the exact same scene during season 5 in the old offices of the Michael Scott Paper Co.  Then you get a long dance sequence during the wedding itself as well.  It's pretty much a given that a series has hit the wall creatively if they start doing long musical sequences as time fillers - and seaons 6 & 7 have a lot of them - like the painful opening musical number in the season 7 premier.  All that said, still a funny show with lots of good moments.  My opinions of the various characters hasn't changed much - Jim is a douche, Pam is a bitch (just go ahead and try to scam your company out of a $40k a year job, ok?), and Andy is just painful to have on my TV.  My favorite character might just be Toby - he's worn out, he's defeated, but his little bits are funny.

I'll watch the rest of season 7 and that's probably it.  No desire to see the show without Steve Carrell.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8i5CR4kDjM

The new HBO series, True Detective, starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson premieres January 2014.  The show was created by novelist Nic Pizzolato.  It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana.

What? There was supposed to have been three? That's crushing, I loved that movie.

Yep.  They very explicitly setup a sequel with the ending but we never got the payoff.