DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

Phallocentric motherfuckers.

Is this partly the effect of getting to see more of the interior world of the lead, the viewer, sort of "being alone" with them more and getting more in their head and understanding their motivation...while we only see secondary characters from the outside, when they are interacting with the lead?

It makes the main asshole seem so much deeper and conflicted and the other assholes just seem shallow and selfish

Siberia this week:

The nomad tribe shot down a helicopter?  Ok then.  

Model chick has to be the absolutley dumbest bitch in existance, not only still "playing the game", but believing that slimy insane DJ dude would be believed when it came down to the revealer key, so she let him go... AFTER HE TRIED TO KILL SOMEONE ALREADY... AND SHE DRUGGED THE FUCKING GROUP.  Mossad chick needs to start snapping necks.

And its obivious that Sam or injured chick is the one that dies next week.

Yeah this week's episode would have been much better if they had just had the rugby dude beat creepy little DJ dude into the ground until he was just a puddle of red goo. And fuck them for what I know will happen, the eventual death of my favorite character (Sam). Fuck them all. That episode had better come with Esther getting her comeuppance or I'll be pissed.

Walter is by no means an angel, but he didn't start his drug making venture for personal gain, he did it to make sure his family would be set once he was gone. I mean, the guy had $500k in a duffle bag and he wouldn't even spring for a new windshield, or hell, a new car, until he was pulled over.

As for Jesse's girlfriend, yeah, it's fucked up, but if she lives, Jesse never gets his head straight and probably winds up OD'ing and dying. The impression I've had since the start of the show is that Walter cares more about Jesse than their constant bickering would let on. Unfortunately, Jesse's life would cost the lives of so many others. However, Jesse is as much to blame for that happening.

My issue with Skyler goes beyond hating a flawed female character. First, to say she's flawed indicates she can be the cause for good things happening. Thus far, she's proven herself to be a resentful hypocrite whose contempt for Walter, and eye for Ted, go back much farther than her third trimester. She shows this when its revealed how far back she did her Marilyn Monroe take on Happy Birthday, and then she does it again in a really awkward moment. None of this even touches on how Skyler can look past illegally padding himself with millions, putting everyone in that company at risk, but Walter tries to make a quick buck making meth and raking in over $500k, and he's the fucking devil. Keep in mind that, at least where I'm at, Skyler is unaware of the reason behind the plane crash or letting that girl die, so all of that is periphery to the dynamic of their relationship.

And if it were Walter's best friend fucking up and being a dick, instead of Skyler, I would hate him just as much. Not sure why you're seemingly white knighting for that character.

I'm glad other people watch Siberia. It's good to know I'm not the only one wasting my time. It's pretty funny to me how far they're willing to go to try to make Jonny the new Sawyer. And I'll be pissed if Sam dies next week. Anyone else think Miljan got driven crazy by looking into the eyes of that statue thing in the forest?

Anyone else watch Capture on the CW? The kid from the lime team putting the assholes from the blue team in their place before casting the deciding vote was pretty spectacular. For third rate reality television, its pretty entertaining.

By the way, still on the Breaking Bad tip, what was everyone's opinion when:

Walter just let Jesse's girlfriend die, which lead to the plane crash, and then Jesse spends the first few episodes of season 3 constantly calling her cell phone just to hear her voice. That has to be in the top 3 of the most sad and fucked up turn of events to ever air on TV.

As far as "fucked up" goes, it'll be out of your top 3 soon. 

• Like 1

FINAL WHODUNNIT TALK:

So, the WHODUNNIT finale played out like I thought it would, with the killer being someone who would have never actually been able to do things the way it was supposed to have happened.I'm OK with who won, and actually feel a little bad for the one that didn't.

Yeah, he was the best player and deserved to win. Makes you wonder what would have happened if the teams constructed themselves a little differently...
I thought he came across like a smug asshole and I was rooting for anyone but him. How Lindsay made it to the final 3 (and works as an engineer) I will never know as she doesn't seem like she could find her own ass if you gave her a map. The killer reveal was very anti-climactic too.

Kam's smug asshole-ness is exactly why almost nobody thought he was the killer. Way too obvious. But he was by far the smartest player on his team. Lindsay made it to the final because she hitched her wagon to the right train. I agree, she was easily the dumbest of her team of four (even counting Ulysses), she just lucked out into getting spoon fed the right info.

Which, as Newb pointed out, makes it all the more ironic that she had the killer pegged since week 2 while Kam never figured it out.

I suppose I should be happy I figured out the killer from the get-go but I agree the reveal was kinda anti-climatic. I wasn't really a fan of the Finale being a Survivor-style memory/skill competition rather than a genuine mystery. Plus, once they showed Kris intentionally tanking one of the easiest stations (I mean, there were four items in the box, three were lethal, one wasn't), the killer became obvious.

I think I benefited from watching the first 4 episodes in a single blast. Watching them all together, you really noticed how Kris was constantly playing both sides and screwing everybody, even her own team, over. Withholding the info about the stuffed shoes, for example. Or giving certain players on the other team hints.

Anyway, glad I got to watch it even if it'll be a one season wonder. I suppose the budget Joe Lucia quoted would be far too high for a cable channel to pick it up. Too bad because I think something like this would be perfect for TruTV or Investigation/Discovery.

Walter is by no means an angel, but he didn't start his drug making venture for personal gain, he did it to make sure his family would be set once he was gone. I mean, the guy had $500k in a duffle bag and he wouldn't even spring for a new windshield, or hell, a new car, until he was pulled over.As for Jesse's girlfriend, yeah, it's fucked up, but if she lives, Jesse never gets his head straight and probably winds up OD'ing and dying. The impression I've had since the start of the show is that Walter cares more about Jesse than their constant bickering would let on. Unfortunately, Jesse's life would cost the lives of so many others. However, Jesse is as much to blame for that happening.My issue with Skyler goes beyond hating a flawed female character. First, to say she's flawed indicates she can be the cause for good things happening. Thus far, she's proven herself to be a resentful hypocrite whose contempt for Walter, and eye for Ted, go back much farther than her third trimester. She shows this when its revealed how far back she did her Marilyn Monroe take on Happy Birthday, and then she does it again in a really awkward moment. None of this even touches on how Skyler can look past illegally padding himself with millions, putting everyone in that company at risk, but Walter tries to make a quick buck making meth and raking in over $500k, and he's the fucking devil. Keep in mind that, at least where I'm at, Skyler is unaware of the reason behind the plane crash or letting that girl die, so all of that is periphery to the dynamic of their relationship.And if it were Walter's best friend fucking up and being a dick, instead of Skyler, I would hate him just as much. Not sure why you're seemingly white knighting for that character.

Where exactly are you in the show? Somewhere in season 3 it seems, but I wouldn't want to spoil anything while responding.  Glad you picked the show back up, as it gets more intense every season.

I just got done watching the episode where Hank has a run-in with the cartel hitmen in the parking lot. That episode and the one before it have confused me a little regarding Skyler. Now it seems like she wants the marriage to survive, but Walter appears to have closed that door and moved on. I think Skyler is finding out that cheaters never prosper...

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Hank is another character I'm totally confused about and he's another one where I wonder just how Gilligan wants the audience to view Hank. At times, I can't stand him, but I don't think I would want to see him get taken out. I just wish he'd let up a little bit. Then at other times, I think he can be a noble, upstanding guy.

By the way, Jesse's description of "what happens next" to Walter was absolutely chilling, which was followed up really well with what happened later in the episode when he finally tells Walter how his life is worse since Walter came into his life. I think the only other thing I saw Aaron Paul in was Big Love, but my God, he can act his ass off. 

Zuiker is apparently "confident" about a season two. I'LL TAKE IT.

YES! MOAR GILES!Sounds like the huge jump in viewers for the finale may have saved it. I'm guessing that increase was due to a lot of people like me who DVR'd it or watched online but wanted to catch the finale as it aired to avoid any spoilers. Don't the Nielson people have a way of factoring in stuff like TiVo now?

I'd like to see a season two take place at a summer camp and basically be FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME SHOW.

That's a great idea. Just rent out a campsite and set the show there. Bring in Giles as the wacky camp director.I've seen a lot of people suggest they cast a celebrity or two in a season 2. I think it would suck if they added like Joey Fatone or Debbie Harry to the show. If they want to bring in a "name" it better be genre related. Like a Wes Craven. Or, if they wanted to go the Castle route, a famous mystery writer.

Zuiker is apparently "confident" about a season two. I'LL TAKE IT.

YES! MOAR GILES!Sounds like the huge jump in viewers for the finale may have saved it. I'm guessing that increase was due to a lot of people like me who DVR'd it or watched online but wanted to catch the finale as it aired to avoid any spoilers. Don't the Nielson people have a way of factoring in stuff like TiVo now?

I'd like to see a season two take place at a summer camp and basically be FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME SHOW.

That's a great idea. Just rent out a campsite and set the show there. Bring in Giles as the wacky camp director.I've seen a lot of people suggest they cast a celebrity or two in a season 2. I think it would suck if they added like Joey Fatone or Debbie Harry to the show. If they want to bring in a "name" it better be genre related. Like a Wes Craven. Or, if they wanted to go the Castle route, a famous mystery writer.

I've also heard they want to do an all celebrity season...which is interesting.

Hank is another character I'm totally confused about and he's another one where I wonder just how Gilligan wants the audience to view Hank. At times, I can't stand him, but I don't think I would want to see him get taken out. I just wish he'd let up a little bit. Then at other times, I think he can be a noble, upstanding guy.

We talk about this a bit in the BB thread... so there is some debate over what exactly Hank's role is in the overall story.  He could be the hero to Walt's villain, or he could just be a tragic hero that (in the grand scheme of things) will fall prey to circumstance. 

I don't know how you could be confused about how you are supposed to view Hank though.  They built those brothers up all season long as badasses, and Hank took them both out without a gun. 

We talk about this a bit in the BB thread... so there is some debate over what exactly Hank's role is in the overall story.  He could be the hero to Walt's villain, or he could just be a tragic hero that (in the grand scheme of things) will fall prey to circumstance. 

I don't know how you could be confused about how you are supposed to view Hank though.  They built those brothers up all season long as badasses, and Hank took them both out without a gun. 

He took one out by pinning him with his SUV against another car. The other one he shot multiple times, but he kept coming because the brothers bought the bullet proof vests earlier in the episode. Hank then took out the living brother with the hollow point bullet.

Ok Under the Dome has gone from good (pretty much just the pilot episode) to kinda bad but good enough to keep me watching to downright fucking shit.  "Hey dude who chained me up in a bomb shelter for days...SURE I'll follow you out to your Mom's art shack all alone!" "Hey Sheriff Helicopter Pilot from Lost, let's make our illegal drug money exchange right here in front of the warehouse full of our supplies that has a gigantic fucking security camera on it!"  "Hey lady who now seems integral to the plot and is controlling the two male leads, way to stay hidden in this town that is seemingly small enough that EVERY FUCKING GODDAMNED building in town seems to be less than a block from the dome."

Sigh.  And I know I'll finish out this season because at this point I just want to see how much worse it can get.

It's been a long time since I watched HEROES (my viewing slipped after Season 2) and man, what a cool fucking premise Season 1 is and it's still pretty great viewing. I remember Season 2 slowing down considerably but  just how off the rails does it get?

Season 2 dies a horrible death pretty much in the first episode.  The only stuff that's any good is shit involving Hiro's trip back to fuedal Japan and realiized that he's really his childhood hero.  

Hiro's storyline shows a glimpse of what could've been had the Writers Strike not obliterated just about everything.