DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I'm not finding Vanguard as fun as I've found Sentinel in the past.  But then again, I'm only about to get Jack and then go to Horizon and haven't gotten enough damage/Shield upgrades.

I'm also way too used to having Tech Armor with Sentinel's that I don't have with Vanguard (I probably should've taken Barrier instead of Reave at the start)

I think Vanguard in 2 is fine but it doesn’t really “sing” to me until 3 with Nova and worthwhile Melee. Mass Effect 2 honestly always struck me as a game in which Soldier, Sentinel, and Infiltrator are the most practical skills. Biotic can are too weak in 2 to make the Singularity throwing element of Adepts worthwhile and while Engineers are fine, “fine” is basically the perfectly apt description.

I think I'm just too used to Sentinel's and having that mix of tech and biotics so I'm reasonably OK no matter what team I take with me, where with Vanguard I need to make sure I always have tech with me.

Luckly I thought enough to map my Biotic Charge quickbutton to Triangle, as muscle memory is screwing with me and I keep hitting R1 when facing things with shields (where I usually map Overload) and I won't get burnt casting Shockwave.

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

First lesson I've learned in the first couple of hours of ME3 after switching to Soldier:

Concussive shots are fun

If you think it's fun on it's own, just wait until you start detonating your on Tech Bursts with it after you tag something with your Disrupter, Cryo, or Incendiary Ammo.

Well, both Paragon DudeShep and Renegade FemShep are 60th so now I can play ME2 over and over until it hurts.

I finally had the courage to wear only Onyx armor (Medium since I am an Infiltrator) though the entire game for my DudeShep so he'd always sport the N7 logo.  The final screen grab I took was quite awesome.

Edited by J.T.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

But yes, also get Mass Effect 4 out. Unless it has none of the characters from the trilogy, then I don't care about it at all. I'm going to play Andromeda after I finish 3 most likely, but I'm not looking forward to it since it's an entirely new cast of characters. I'm not attached to Shepard one way or another, but people like Liara, Garrus and Tali? Yeah, absolutely I'm attached to them.

Liara is the only character confirmed, and the game is seemingly taking place hundreds of years later. Only one or two other people could have even aged up to that point so there probably won't be more than references to anyone else from the original trilogy.

I am still annoyed that I can get drunk with Dr. Chakwas but I cannot get drunk with Tali.  Certainly we did not kill that entire bottle of Serrice Ice Brandy.  Why must Tali drink alone?

Finding Tali drinking alone at the bar inside the Normandy during ME3 after you go to Horizon is really sad. Slightly funny as well, but mostly sad.

My favorite part of the party you throw during the Citadel DLC is Tali's reaction the morning after (if you don't romance her, anyway) and Javik being hungover on your bathroom floor, thinking everything up until then was a dream.

I thought she said, "I might not be a fan of aliens," which doesn't sound as bad, but is just as inexcusable given her almost contradictory reading of the riot act to Charles Saracino for his Terra Firma beliefs despite the fact that her views are nearly identical.  She still splits hairs between xenophobia and racism.

Then again, given how the Council screws you over after you "die" despite sending in humans to their doom in order to rescue them, I'd be slightly inclined to adopt the Kaiden Alenko "Well, if I judged an entire race based on one ass..." logic and be pretty distrustful of aliens myself.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There are far worse racists in the game than Ashley.  

There are far worst alien racists than Ashley, too.  The stars in the galaxy shine a bit brighter because Kaiden Alenko snapped Vyrnnus's neck.

As for the humans, I am not convinced that the Illusive Man is one of them.  I think he is a standard megalomaniacal narcassist using pro-human sentiment to manipulate and motivate his supporters and his base.  Illusive Man is not out for humanity.  Illusive Man is out for Illusive Man.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Kaiden and Ashley both suck an equal amount. My opinion of him from ME1 to ME2 changed, and then took a jump off a cliff once ME3 came around and he was still a dick even though he knew FemShep wasn't working with Cerberus anymore. I told that motherfucker to kick rocks and go work with Hackett.

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I thought she said, "I might not be a fan of aliens," which doesn't sound as bad, but is just as inexcusable given her almost contradictory reading of the riot act to Charles Saracino for his Terra Firma beliefs despite the fact that her views are nearly identical.  She still splits hairs between xenophobia and racism.

Yeah - that is kind of my whole point.

She basically is "I might hate them but Cerberus hates them worse than me!"

And that is after all the folks who defended her "growth" at the end of the 1st game

I mean the fucking Krogan are right to hate Salarians AND Turians yet I have to do less massaging of all them than to reign in fucking Ashley Williams

God I really need to finish Warp mastery so I can stop using Miranda

She literally is my only squad member who dies.

Never have to use Unity otherwise

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that is kind of my whole point.

She basically is "I might hate them but Cerberus hates them worse than me!"

And that is after all the folks who defended her "growth" at the end of the 1st game

I mean the fucking Krogan are right to hate Salarians AND Turians yet I have to do less massaging of all them than to reign in fucking Ashley Williams

Once you think she's starting to mature and show some tolerance, she slips back into old disturbing habits.

She also excuses her own behavior by deflecting onto worse elements like Terra Firma and Cerberus.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

God I really need to finish Warp mastery so I can stop using Miranda

She literally is my only squad member who dies.

Never have to use Unity otherwise

I have the most problems with Jacob since he refuses to stay in cover.

BTW - have officially hit the "overwhelmed" section of the game again

I forgot that after doing Horizon - besides everyone else being available to recruit and loyalty missions, that BOTH Shadow Broker AND Arrival unlock

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - have officially hit the "overwhelmed" section of the game again

I forgot that after doing Horizon - besides everyone else being available to recruit and loyalty missions, that BOTH Shadow Broker AND Arrival unlock

No need to be overwhelmed.  A lot of the references in those DLCs seem to indicate that they happen AFTER the Suicide Mission, so I'll treat them as epilogue.  

It still annoys me that the devs couldn't figure out a way to make the Suicide Mission the event trigger rather than Horizon.

Edited by J.T.

I am not overwhelmed overwhelmed since A) I know every single that happens and B) I always have an order planned out in my head

It is more how ME2 and ME3 time gate A LOT of stuff but don't slowly roll it out instead dump it all at once

I take back what I said about Vanguard.  Once I got Assault Mastery and Heavy Charge, holy shit is it fun to just Charge in and shotgun everything, then charge again since with AM and HC your power cooldown is like 1 second.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am not overwhelmed overwhelmed since A) I know every single that happens and B) I always have an order planned out in my head

It is more how ME2 and ME3 time gate A LOT of stuff but don't slowly roll it out instead dump it all at once

I think they do decently on this in Mass Effect 3 at times. 2 though? Hahahahahha