DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Seriously some of you need to actually think before you hit post. If this is your solution to what ails Bioware you are just actively hoping this industry gets even shittier at the AAA level than it already is. There are a couple of you in this thread that at this point just openly specialize in spewing sub-Twitch chat levels of stupid.

Yes, Bioware took what was quite possibly the best video game series of all time and flushed it down the toilet so that they could concentrate on a Destiny clone that they've already had to push back once.

We should be kissing their boots.

• Like 1

After what happened with Destiny and The Division, I just don't really see the appeal of something like Anthem, when I prefer an experience like Uncharted, BioShock or The Witcher 3.

It just seems like you are sacrificing what could be one really amazing game experience at the expense of creating some really shallow ongoing game that has some nice bells and whistles but is just a slog for the rest of it. And you are just grinding your way toward nothing. And your progression is at the mercy of teaming up with the community. 

It's destroyed the solo experience.

I find it utterly bizarre when regular folks feel like they have an investment over whether a film/game/show is a success or failure or feel like they're 'owed' something by the creators. Get over yourselves.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

After what happened with Destiny and The Division, I just don't really see the appeal of something like Anthem, when I prefer an experience like Uncharted, BioShock or The Witcher 3.

It just seems like you are sacrificing what could be one really amazing game experience at the expense of creating some really shallow ongoing game that has some nice bells and whistles but is just a slog for the rest of it. And you are just grinding your way toward nothing. And your progression is at the mercy of teaming up with the community. 

It's destroyed the solo experience.

Yup, pretty much why I find myself confined to indie games these days. Playing online holds no appeal whatsoever to me, games are escapism and I don't want to communicate with someone a million miles away to get the most from a game I just want to play it and get some form of narrative nourishment. That said I was interested in picking up the new God of War game but never played any of the previous ones so don't know if it's suitable

• Like 1

A lot of the gaming community has some really horrible entitlement issues, and this is kinda skirting right up against it.  They released the game feature complete and provided what seems to be a typical amount of bug and technical support.  Sadly the game sold relatively poorly and wasn't well received.  Them deciding not to burn further millions on it isn't them trying to get one over on anyone, it's them sadly accepting that it didn't work out this time and moving onto the next thing.  I'm sure they are disappointed and would have liked to have followed up with DLC and a more immediate follow-up, I have no issue with any fans similarly feeling disappointed.

That said, taking that as a personal affront and adopting the position of "may everything they touch turn to ash, hopefully they all lose their jobs and may the earth forever be salted" is a borderline sociopathic response.  Of course this is also the same fanbase that reacted so poorly to a game's ending that Bioware were forced to create a new one, so perhaps expecting them to act reasonably is itself unreasonable...

• Like 2

Don't worry, I'm not touching it. At least not that part.

But really, I don't even really care about the BioWare discussion in general at this point, mainly because I'm not rooting for BioWare to die, because it is already dead. It's just another branch of EA now, indistinguishable from the rest. The type of games BioWare excelled at will never be made by EA again because they can't micro-transaction the fuck out of them like they can with the rest of their shit. Maybe Anthem will be kickass, maybe it will just be another Destiny type were people like it but aren't crazy about it, or whatever. I'm not boycotting Anthem, I'm just boycotting EA at this point, because the video game industry needs a massive change.

• Like 2

I'm not praying for Bioware's demise, but I'm certainly not buying Anthem unless the out of the box reviews are fucking flawless.  If I can't count on them to properly support one of the games in their tentpole franchise, how can I expect them to support Anthem? 

It's an MMO-lite like Destiny and Bioware already has a not so stellar track record of supporting MMO-ish games.

*cough* SWTOR *cough*

Even if I remotely liked Anthem, I have no faith that Bioware / EA would provide it with the content required to keep me playing or quickly address any technical issues that required fixing.

People won't take months to run through the content in Anthem like they did with the ME games.  Players will be done with Anthem's main story in a matter of DAYS or even less if they want to be FIRST~! to post story spoilers and playthroughs / strat vids on YouTube.

I don't think that Bioware is ready for the kind of content demand that Anthem will generate because they are used to administrating solo-campaign games like ME that can take months to beat.  

I'm sure those fucking Anthem loot boxes will work properly on Day One, though.

• Like 1

Consumers can, and should, vote with their money against buying loot crates if it provides the buyer an advantage in PvP play. You shouldn't have to shell out $60 and then shell out more for better arms and armor just to keep up with other players who have idle money, and that sounds like what Anthem is going to be.

You can buy guns in Andromeda, but since the multiplayer is players against NPCs, it's actually to your advantage if your teammates have spent on better guns or characters. I liked the way Overwatch did it - buyable loot crates for cosmetic improvements only - and that would be fine. But gamers have the right to make their voices heard about the advantage going to the one with the most money.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still, only three and a half weeks until Dragon Age day. Dec 4th. Maybe they'll announce Dragon Age 4... which they're absolutely making, but haven't announced yet.

And you have now reminded me that I either need to fully replay and beat the game with the character I wanted for a main or at least finally play through the DLC with my original character if only to know Inquisition's full story.

• 3 months later...

So, after god knows how long, I am firmly back playing Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. And I am still learning about both.

-Did you know that if you hold out on doing Tali's loyalty mission until after you get Legion, you can do both before the Collectors attack your ship? So you can take Legion on Talis mission and not have any repicussions on your crew during the final mission. I am doing my playthrough to do that now.

-Also a new thing I learned: Playing as an Engineer lowers the cost of research on upgrades. Maxed out it lowers the cost on everything in research by 25%

- As far as Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, I've taken my challenge rating from about 4,000 to 6,500 in the last month, and I have gotten a decent haul in terms of new characters and guns.  Characters and guns I still need looks like..

Characters: N7 Paladin (naturally) and Volus Protector

Assault Rifles: M-37 Falcon (Only Gold gun left, dammit),  Cerberus Harrier (Best Gun in the Game, also naturally), and the N7 Valkyrie

Heavy Pistols: M-77 Paladin

Submachine Guns: None

Shotguns: M-11 Wraith, Venom Shotgun

Sniper Rifles: Javelin and Black Widow.

I still can’t believe you haven’t gotten everything yet but I also forget how far behind you were compared to like when JT and I stopped

I knew the ME2 stuff a) because my femshep was an engineer and b) I watched A LOT of YouTube videos. I might have been a little obsessed.

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I still can’t believe you haven’t gotten everything yet but I also forget how far behind you were compared to like when JT and I stopped

I knew the ME2 stuff a) because my femshep was an engineer and b) I watched A LOT of YouTube videos. I might have been a little obsessed.

For perspective, my next match will be number 700 for me, with 220 hours played. You finished up at 3,289 matches and 1,057 hours. So I am still at only about 3/10ths of the way you were when you finished. 

Furthermore, if you played fro, the very first point, you were playing when there were only 6 Gold characters to get in a pack. When I started there were 44 gold characters and 3 Ultra Rare characters. It's basically a game for me of "keep taking shots and try to eliminate characters from the pool" type of thing. I have the max on all 3 Ultra Rare characters in terms of appearance upgrades and will never get them again, and I have done the same with 9 of the gold characters. So if I open a Reserves pack (Which takes about an hour of play time on silver, 45 if I get saucy and play Gold) and I draw a character, there is only a 2 in 35 chance it will be one of the two characters I need. So... yeah, it's not ideal.

Also is even worse for weapons. I haven't maxed out a Gold gun yet (closest I have is the Graal and Collector Sniper at 7), and the highest I have an Ultra Rare Gun is a whopping 3 on my Particle Rifle. I am looking at hundreds of i wanted to complete that.

Though the most frustrating for me is just the gear. 220 hours and I still have just Grenade Capacity 1. And I still have no Commando Package, Juggernaut Shield, or Batavian Gaunlet. And the Weapon Mods is even worse. I still haven't even gotten SMG High Calibur Barrel 1. That's an uncommon item. 

I just did the math to depress myself

After the draw I just did (which eliminated the Geth Juggy from my pool. 1/17 now) I now have 74 more characters/character trainings to get to max out. Assuming the Reserves pack gives me roughly 3 of those every 2 packs, I still need 50 packs to upgrade that to max.

And then there are weapons. By my count I need 354 more weapons draws to max out. Yepppp. And that includes tons of Ultra Rare drops. So. That's not good.

32 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Not a day goes by where I don't want to revisit these games, but it would require buying a PS3 again

Be like me and get them on PC too so you don't have to hook the PS3 back up.