DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I lam a dope. I forgot the last keeper was by the normandy, which is why i hadnt seen it yet. 

That one is easy to miss as well as the Keeper in the red corridor where you rescue Tali.

I had forgotten how quickly your side job mission queue can fill up.  No sooner than we rescue Liara than Nasana Dantius is hitting us up about her sister and Emily Wong begs me to go bug the Tower as I am on my way to tell Admiral Kohoku about his lost marines.... which segues into the Cerberus mission..... and oh by the way there's a Rogue VI on the moon and how dare you ask us if research was illegal.

Is the Rogue VI on the moon in ME1 the one that eventually evolves into EDI in ME3?

Did anyone skip straight to ME2 to  see if that was significantly different, or are you all going for the full story from start to finish?

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Is the Rogue VI on the moon in ME1 the one that eventually evolves into EDI in ME3?

Yes - Cerberus took tech from Sovereign and combined it with "Hannibal" (The rogue VI) and created EDI

EDI will admit to it during ME3 if you ask her

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I lam a dope. I forgot the last keeper was by the Normandy, which is why i hadn't seen it yet. 

Remember there are actually 21 Keepers (you only have to scan 20)

Since I completed the mission and didn't get the one by the Normandy and if you look at a location map there are 21 Keepers

This is because the one by the Normandy disappears if you are a Colonist and the mission with the suicidal girl is active

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Remember there are actually 21 Keepers (you only have to scan 20)

Since I completed the mission and didn't get the one by the Normandy and if you look at a location map there are 21 Keepers

This is because the one by the Normandy disappears if you are a Colonist and the mission with the suicidal girl is active

This is how you can tell me and Rippa know this game way too well: We both realized they lowered the total to search for, and had the mission completed before we ever made it back to the Normany. 

Brain Dump after Day One

- Okay, clearly I ran as a Colonist at least once (or maybe all the time) as I know I did the suicidal girl mission mentioned in my above post. I am a Spacer this time

- I also must have chosen something besides Sole Survivor last time because I have no memory of all these mentions of Akuze (I also have a terrible memory)

- Apparently my wife hates Dr Michel just as much as Ashley. I am not sure why other than maybe it is because she is French

- I definitely fucked up and forgot to not have Wrex in my party when dealing with Fist. Of course, I also fucked up my entire order of doing things since normally I go through Chora's Den once so that the first time I enter isn't with me putting a bullet in the bartender's head. Thank God I am doing Classic and will have a second playthrough to clean everything up.

- I only saved scummed once and that was with the Hannar preacher. You need 4 Charm to Paragon your way through that one and I was only at 3. So I reloaded and came back a little later. I should have probably done the same when cleaning up the end of the mission with Jenna but you get 8 Paragon points anyway by giving C-Sec the mods.

- I still hate that you have to go all the way back to the Normandy to change squad. (Unless there is another way I have forgotten how to do it).

- Still fucking hate the way grenades work. Literally landed on Eden Prime and took a quarter of my health away when trying to open a crate and instead threw a grenade at my feet. And the fact you still have to self detonate them. Grr...

- I also can't believe they didn't fix the vendors so that when switching between Human and Non-Human you don't have to back all the way out and start the conversation with the vendor over.

- I don't know if this is because I am playing on Series X or if they cleaned it up in game but the elevator rides are shorter now in that they pretty much last the exact length of a conversation - which is perfect.

- Not sure how much I will get to play today as my wife has gone to the care facility to visit her Dad and my son is insisting on watching the Original Star Wars Trilogy. He is claiming he has never seen them (He has.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

OH GOD OH FUCK MY OLD CHEESING WAY OF DEALING WITH THRESHER MAWS DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE OH FUCK OH FUCK.

The sit back and jump over their spit method doesn't work anymore?

It does, but only partially. Thresher Maws now spit multiple things at you every time they attack, and when they go underground they raise tendrils around that damage you if you get too close to them, and then they specifically charge directly AT you. They also go underground if you are not moving, which they didn't used to do at all. It's not an impossible fight but it is significantly harder then it used to be.

Has anyone else run into enemies who refuse to pop out of cover?

It has happened to me at least three times - they will just stay down behind cover. Only reason I know they are there is because the info will pop up if you hover over the spot in cover they are hiding. Well that and my idiot squadmates keep shooting at the cover.

And they will never move. Each time, I had to run up to them and THEN they would stand up. I mean I would melee them to death before they even turned to face me but still weird

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Has anyone else run into enemies who refuse to pop out of cover?

Yes, but flanking and liberal application of Tech Mines, frizbee grenades, and Biotics gets the job done.  Tossing a Singularity above the head of someone hiding behind some crates never gets old.

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

OH GOD OH FUCK MY OLD CHEESING WAY OF DEALING WITH THRESHER MAWS DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE OH FUCK OH FUCK.

I told you guys that Threshers were a bit meaner than you remember.  No one listens.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

- I also must have chosen something besides Sole Survivor last time because I have no memory of all these mentions of Akuze (I also have a terrible memory)

- Apparently my wife hates Dr Michel just as much as Ashley. I am not sure why other than maybe it is because she is French

- I still hate that you have to go all the way back to the Normandy to change squad. (Unless there is another way I have forgotten how to do it).

- Still fucking hate the way grenades work. Literally landed on Eden Prime and took a quarter of my health away when trying to open a crate and instead threw a grenade at my feet. And the fact you still have to self detonate them. Grr...

- Colonists and Sole Survivors will hear multiple mentions of Akuze for some reason.  You barely hear about it when you play a Spacer as everyone talks about the Skyllian Blitz.

- She does come off as a bit condescending with all of that "patching up soldiers isn't my thing" talk.

- Yeah, you have to return to Normandy to redeploy your squad.

- You are high.  I totally fucking missed frizbee grenades and their ridiculous range.  Yet another way to smash enemies that don't pop out of cover.   Aim for their feet or the wall behind them and then ZIP~!  BOOOOM~! 

You never really needed to use grenades that much aside from the Feros bullshit back in the day because enemies tend to zerg you in bunches and didn't wait for you to aim, throw, and detonate your grenades.  By the time you finally got good with grenades, you had Tech Mines, AI Hacking, Neural Shock, and Biotics for crowd control.

Edited by J.T.

The Thresher Maw kicked my ass twice before I remembered the Mako has a secondary weapon.

I feel a little bad that now since there is no reason to get out of the Mako, how easy it is to mow down random dudes who are on foot

• Haha 1

I forgot about the secondary weapon for the Mako and the speed boost. I did the entirety of Bring Down the Sky without realizing those were options while driving the Mako. Oops.

Updated and verified Tali pic to replace the one deleted:

Spoiler

kt56ggovq4z61.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

I am loving sniping fools and driving the Mako this time around. Playing as FemShep colonist Infiltrator.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I feel a little bad that now since there is no reason to get out of the Mako, how easy it is to mow down random dudes who are on foot

Yeah the main accelerator cannon and the coaxial machine gun melts anyone on foot.  It is really absurd.  Is it me, or is the IFF feature brand new?  I don't remember target acquisition being enabled when you use first person zoom aim for the Mako's weapons.

Completed nearly all of my outstanding side gigs and my crew is nearly 30th level. I knocked out all of the "Do 5 Missions With" achievements.

I'll tackle Feros with Wrex and Ashley and tackle the Cerberus mission and Garrus and Wrex's missions tomorrow.

Edited by J.T.

Encountered my first Thrasher Maw, got my shit rocked, and promptly just nope'd right out of the game. It's 1AM, I've been playing since like 9PM, seems like a good time to quit! ?

Also, something I never realized all those years ago when playing ME1 - holy shit, Williams is a racist.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Also, something I never realized all those years ago when playing ME1 - holy shit, Williams is a racist.

This is like the first thing anyone brings up when talking about her.

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This is like the first thing anyone brings up when talking about her.

That's cool. I just discovered this. So... I don't know what you're trying to get at here. I'm sorry I don't remember shit from a game I last played 13 years ago?

3 hours ago, Casey said:

That's cool. I just discovered this. So... I don't know what you're trying to get at here. I'm sorry I don't remember shit from a game I last played 13 years ago?

I'm just surprised you didn't notice. It seems to be the big reason some hate her.