DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Picked up the Legendary Edition towards the end of September and finally started playing earlier in the week. The combat feels faster than before. Driving the mako is still a somewhat amusing pain in the ass. Maybe I'm stronger than I was last time around, but Thresher fights feel a bit easier this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/mass-effect-original-ending-sounds-more-interesting-than-what-we-got-20211022

Spoiler

The issues that fans had with the ending of Mass Effect 3 weren’t confined to the narrative implications. Most felt that the final mission didn’t create the level of urgency and that this is the last chance that organic life would have against the infinite cycle of destruction. Of course, the Legendary Edition doesn’t veer from the original ending, but this interview with former BioWare animation director Dave Wilkinson sheds a little light on what could have been. 

"At that point, Shepard was so augmented with like electronic bits and all the rest of this sh*t," said Wilkinson, explaining that Shepard would have plugged themself into the Citadel itself. "Within a virtual world he has a conversation with what was described as a god of the Reapers. I think it was a queen? And he had this conversation with the queen, and the queen basically said, ‘the way the Reapers keep going, this isn’t sustainable, blah blah blah blah blah blah, we have to evolve, but we’re incapable of evolution because of the limitations of our AI and stuff like that.’”

The progressive motivations of this Reaper Queen caused the other Reapers to imprison her to prevent her ideology from contaminating the rest of the race. “So, then the conversation was really like her going, ‘This is the chance to evolve everything, we can move everything forward,’” continued Wilkinson. 

The player then had three choices to decide the fate of all organic and synthetic life in the galaxy. The Renegade option saw Shepard rip themselves out of the Citadel, thereby disrupting its operations and triggering an explosion that destroys Earth as well as the Reapers. Organic life continues without the interference of the machine race. 

The Paragon option led Shepard to become the “Reaper King” and direct the Reapers to a better purpose in the Milky Way. Then the Synthesis option would have seen the bodies of both Shepard and the Reaper Queen fuse to become the “best” of both. As a result, the “space magic” would have changed all organic and synthetic life to reflect each other.

I'm not sure if this is new news or old news or what, but there you go.

• Like 1

Honestly, that ending doesn't sound better, just slightly different. It is interesting how they seemingly wanted Shepard fucked no matter what.

I'm at Ilos now. I somehow locked myself into a romance with Kaiden. It made me want to leave him to die so badly, but I already did that in my original playthrough so I wanted to change things up a tad this time.

Edited by Eivion

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, that ending doesn't sound better, just slightly different. It is interesting how they seemingly wanted Shepard fucked no matter what.

I'm at Ilos now. I somehow locked myself into a romance with Kaiden. It made me want to leave him to die so badly, but I already did that in my original playthrough so I wanted to change things up a tad this time.

Yeah, I'm right there with you on that, even though the Shepard blows up Earth thing is pretty dang close to my original expectation of how things would go when I played it the first time.

I still don't fucking understand how "control" is considered, in Bioware's mind, is considered a Paragon choice. That pisses me off more than anything the actual ending did

• Like 2

Just spitballin', but I usually conclude that Control is considered to be a Paragon choice because Shepard is in control rather than the Illusive Man and sends the Reapers off to help rebuild galactic society once the war is over.  There is also the whole noble sacrifice thing for the greater good.

I also despise the Control ending.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, J.T. said:

Just spitballin', but I usually conclude that Control is considered to be a Paragon choice because Shepard is in control rather than the Illusive Man and sends the Reapers off to help rebuild galactic society once the war is over.  There is also the whole noble sacrifice thing for the greater good.

I mean, part of me understands the desire to appeal to other sensibilities, but the entire trilogy is three games of getting to the point where you wipe out the Reapers and save organic life from ever being harvested again.

If they were going to do a "canon" ending, and it's pretty much a lock that's never going to happen, the Destroy ending would be the only choice that makes any sort of sense.

Started 2 a few days ago. Doing a romance with Kelly this time since I didn't really get to know her in my first playthrough.

I do not like how they changed leveling between the first and second games. It makes combat feel less meaningful when no experience gain is involved. The weapons/armor system change is jarring at first, but also for the best with how much crap they overwhelmed you with finding in the first game.

The materials scanning mini-game at first feels better than traveling to random worlds with barely anything there. Then you realize how damn annoyingly tedious it is due to them adding about a billion more planets. Add in the slow movement of the Normandy when traveling through a system and the fuel stuff and its somehow manages to be just pinch worse than the original due to how much time it all takes up. I'd skip it, but something in my mind doesn't allow me to leave resources alone.

Will say that is interesting realizing that Element Zero tended to be on planets where sentient life was present either currently or in the past before the Reapers took them out.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, J.T. said:

Also the lack of genocide. Destroy kills EDI and the Geth.

• 3 weeks later...

And here we go!

https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-ratings-amazon-prime-video-mass-effect-lort-of-the-rings-jennifer-salke-qa-1234879517/

Between Emmy-nominated comic book adaptation The Boys as Prime Video’s flagship U.S. drama, The Wheel Of Time‘s promising debut and the anticipated launch of The Lord of Rings, genre has emerged as a key programming area for the streamer and a continuing development focus.

One of the company’s newest hopefuls in the arena is Mass Effect. Amazon Studios is nearing a deal to develop a series based on the best-selling sci-fi video game franchise from Electronic Arts.

Please be legit.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

And here we go!

https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-ratings-amazon-prime-video-mass-effect-lort-of-the-rings-jennifer-salke-qa-1234879517/

Between Emmy-nominated comic book adaptation The Boys as Prime Video’s flagship U.S. drama, The Wheel Of Time‘s promising debut and the anticipated launch of The Lord of Rings, genre has emerged as a key programming area for the streamer and a continuing development focus.

One of the company’s newest hopefuls in the arena is Mass Effect. Amazon Studios is nearing a deal to develop a series based on the best-selling sci-fi video game franchise from Electronic Arts.

Please be legit.

wasn't Henry Cavill dropping hints last year that he was involved in a Mass Effect project?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

wasn't Henry Cavill dropping hints last year that he was involved in a Mass Effect project?

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wonder how they would handle the 2 Shepards? Just pick one or the other? 

The former just answered the later

• Sad 1