DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, for anything with a mech you need someone with Tech skills, particularly Overload (Miranda, Kasumi, Garrus) or AI Hacking (Tali and Legion) 

I was lazy and didn't look up the mission, since I found it was mining a planet (I think Franklin). 

I just picked 2 people that I hadn't used recently so I could assign any new skill points. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Casey meant for me in ME2

That it wasn’t a bug but a poor design choice

Oh, Casey was talking about YMIR mechs!

Yes, it sucks that you have to destroy the shield and burn away the armor before you can use AI Hacking on it.

Edited by J.T.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Recruited Grunt

Wasn’t prepared for Mordin to advocate killing Rana 

Spoiler

It's a good idea. Rana's indoctrinated and goes on a killing spree with top asari officials.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I was talking about the trophy in ME2 where you have to incinerate armor. It’s not exclusive to just mechs.

Aha!  I got fixated on other shit.  Yeah, that achievement sucks, too.  I also did not realize that it wasn't just enough to use Incinerate.  You had to burn away the armor with Incinerate to expose the red health bar and that is further complicated by squad members who have Inferno Ammo active.

Edited by J.T.

Feel a little bad that my 1000th kill game via the Hammerhead as I was doing the Firewalker stuff to build my credits back up

Additional bonus is that a couple of missions have Eezo in them

I am trying to decide if I want to do Overlord pre-Horizon or post

Oh and I still have to deal with the crate destroy mechs at the location that Aria gave me

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and I still have to deal with the crate destroy mechs at the location that Aria gave me

Wait until you have the Cain.  It can nuke the YMIRs with one shot from long range so that you can move in and recover all of the cargo.

I never got the Cain in ME2 for some reason. Maybe I missed a pick-up during a mission or something. Either way, the crate mech side quest - I think I ended up getting out of that with only like 4 crates destroyed.

When I started the Omega DLC in ME3 I was really hoping Aria would be a team member, because I didn’t know all of that was DLC, and was kinda bummed when she wasn’t. But I guess FemShep can only have one Asari on her team! Her boothang.

I really want to believe that ME4 teaser trailer actually had Liara in it and not some as-of-now unknown Asari.

For some reason I never use the Cain except for that final mission

I don't know why outside of paranoia

EDIT - Side note - purchasing the upgrade to get the Cain was the very last thing I did last night so I could try that strategy

Finished ME2 by knocking out Lair of the Shadow Broker last night and Arrival this morning.

I might wind up shifting back to Soldier for ME3 to be honest. The Vanguard thing has been decent enough but I don't use all of the stuff the Vanguard does. I don't think I've used Charge so much as one time. I use Pull and Reave and stuff but that's about it.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For some reason I never use the Cain except for that final mission

I don't know why outside of paranoia

EDIT - Side note - purchasing the upgrade to get the Cain was the very last thing I did last night so I could try that strategy

The Cain strat works as long as you mind the target.  The shell has a pretty slow velocity and there is always the outside chance that you will miss your target.

If you're going to use the Cain, then purchase the Ordinance Packs on Tuchanka so that you'll be able to get the charge up to two shots instead of one.

I've nuked both the Thresher on Tuchanka and the Proto-Reaper with no real issues and I'll be using the same strat this time around.   

58 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you're going to use the Cain, then purchase the Ordinance Packs on Tuchanka so that you'll be able to get the charge up to two shots instead of one.

You forgot the part where I was doing this pre-Horizon so Tuchanka wasn’t an option 

I did use the Cain method. Got all 20 crates on my second attempt

I forgot how to fire the fucking thing so by the time the shot went off one of the mechs had wandered out of the blast range

Playing through ME2, I'm actually kind of frustrated with the remaster in the most mundane stupid ways possible.

1. How is it that this game still has the stupid glitch were the guns are glued to the Quarians Hands during your tutorial mission? One of them literally is putting a pistol through there own head at the start of the cutscene. I always thought it was just a personal little bug I got, but it's still there, and I just checked and it's apparently a regular thing. How? It's a stupid little visual glitch, but how does this make it to a remastered version? I'm confused.

2. Look, changing Kellys look to match her Mass Effect 3 design due to, I assume, problems carrying the characters hair over is forgivable, so while this is related, I just want to say it's not that specific problem. But why does hair in this remaster seem worse then it did in Mass Effect 2 to begin with? Like, Kelly is the obvious example, because boy is this a glowdown.

zRLiaWw-haPL7COrNofaEC-rUaV8D4sGAtijIQXn

But I'm noticing it all across the game already, even with just the woman arguing with the Turian at the start of Mordin's mission. And they smoothed out Dr. Chakwas face so much it looks like she de-aged 20 years, and I don't mean that in a good way. 

Like, it's not universal. Most of the aliens look better. But I honestly think a decent chunk of the humans in this game look worse then they did when Mass Effect 2 came out, and that was over a decade ago. How?

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Playing through ME2, I'm actually kind of frustrated with the remaster in the most mundane stupid ways possible.

1. How is it that this game still has the stupid glitch were the guns are glued to the Quarians Hands during your tutorial mission? One of them literally is putting a pistol through there own head at the start of the cutscene. I always thought it was just a personal little bug I got, but it's still there, and I just checked and it's apparently a regular thing. How? It's a stupid little visual glitch, but how does this make it to a remastered version? I'm confused.

If you are confused from a philosophical standpoint then I can understand, but I'd be astonished if you were genuinely baffled.  The Therum laser drill XP glitch and the Lorik Qui'in infinite Renegade / Paragon point glitches still work in ME1.  Does it really surprise you that the visual glitches in ME2 are still there?  The games were prettied up and that's about it. 

The bugs and glitches from the original game code are still present from the rifle stuck to Praza's hand to the brutal cutaways during Paragon interrupts.

Eddie Lang's glitchy Omni-Tool is still in the game.  If you catch him at the right angle when you start talking to him, it is floating in mid-air behind him during your conversation.

The youngest of these games is still nine years old.  I don't really expect them to chase and fix bugs in games that are close to or over a decade old.  I want them to spend their time preparing to re-release multiplayer and put ME4 on store shelves before I die.

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

2. Look, changing Kellys look to match her Mass Effect 3 design due to, I assume, problems carrying the characters hair over is forgivable, so while this is related, I just want to say it's not that specific problem. But why does hair in this remaster seem worse then it did in Mass Effect 2 to begin with? Like, Kelly is the obvious example, because boy is this a glowdown.

Yeah.  I miss Kelly's old hairdo and her eyes are set a bit too closely.  It makes her head look gigantic.

Edited by J.T.

I probably don't speak for everyone, especially here, but I rather them chase glitches and bugs and make models look better (NOT re-touching) than.... focusing on multiplayer for a game that came out ten years ago. One issue seems more important than the other, IMO.

But yes, also get Mass Effect 4 out. Unless it has none of the characters from the trilogy, then I don't care about it at all. I'm going to play Andromeda after I finish 3 most likely, but I'm not looking forward to it since it's an entirely new cast of characters. I'm not attached to Shepard one way or another, but people like Liara, Garrus and Tali? Yeah, absolutely I'm attached to them.

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

But yes, also get Mass Effect 4 out. Unless it has none of the characters from the trilogy, then I don't care about it at all. I'm going to play Andromeda after I finish 3 most likely, but I'm not looking forward to it since it's an entirely new cast of characters. I'm not attached to Shepard one way or another, but people like Liara, Garrus and Tali? Yeah, absolutely I'm attached to them.

Assuming it does have links to the past (which seems likely since when the trailer came out they basically confirmed it would have links to the trilogy and Andromeda) it is going to be interesting to see how they handle developing a "canon" story

And that isn't even talking about the ending

For example - of the characters you mentioned - Liara is the only one guaranteed to be alive universally (since she wasn't a squad mate in the main ME2 story). Everyone else has to come from the ME3 squad so the list grows to... James. (Javik is technically DLC so there are people who might never have recruited him)

Now it could be they introduce some sort of thing that allows you to input your choices from previous games (they did this is Dragon Age... I wanna say between DA2 and Inquisition since it was across generations and you couldn't import saves) but... hoo boy... that is coding a whole lotta extra people.

• Sad 1

I might be Liara would be the only playable character and everyone else would be a quest giver or something (since they could just be replaced by a random character - like how the swapped out people in ME3 as necessary)