DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I forgot how fucking grim ME2 can get

Like the absolute horror movie that the MSV Corsica is

As creepy as MSV Corsica mission line and Overlord are, no single ME2 mission freaks me out more than the fucking MSV Estavanico.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

M-11 Suppressor, Reegar Carbine and the Krysae Sniper Rifle make an unholy trinity of weapons in ME3. Good lord.

I love the M-11 Supppressor.

I hate the Krysae because it can't crit.  It's all about the Black Widow with a Penetration Mod so it can shoot through a wall and two additional targets at the same time.

Edited by J.T.

I usually switch between the Krysae, Kishock or the M-90 Indra.

I'll have to try the Black Widow on my next playthrough of ME3, whenever that ends up being. I'm never touching ME1 again, but I'll have to revisit 2 and 3 to get all the trophies. Especially 3, since I just found out one of the trophies involves the Citadel DLC and I totally skipped over the arena part after one playthrough because, I mean, it wasn't that fun. Everything else about that DLC was great, but I didn't care for that part. And I still need to snipe 10 (less now, but...) Guardians through the little eyehole on their shields. Oh, and hijack an Atlas. Wasn't thrilled that the power trophies in the ME3 are entirely reliant on the player, and not a combo of both the player and squad mates (or just the squad). I spent many missions with Liara doing Singularity, only to find out it doesn't count. Ugh. I eventually got it, though.

Friday afternoon I'll probably push through the rest of Priority: Earth. After playing for hours upon hours Sunday into Monday morning, I reached that point when you realize you've played a game too long, making mistakes/can't get past a simple part, and you need to quit and take a break. My breaking point was not being able to reach the shuttle extraction after you down the Reaper with the M-920 Cain weapon, because the Cannibals were swarming me (and I would sprint towards the shuttle, and since sprint and take cover are both the same button, I'd inevitably run into a wall and take cover, and..)

1 hour ago, Casey said:

And I still need to snipe 10 (less now, but...) Guardians through the little eyehole on their shields.

MAIL SLOT~!

• Haha 1

I'm not a big fan of the Kishock either.  The Indra, OTOH, is my second favorite rifle in the game behind the Black Widow since it has all the benefits of a sniper rifle with the ROF of an assault rifle.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Wasn't thrilled that the power trophies in the ME3 are entirely reliant on the player, and not a combo of both the player and squad mates (or just the squad).

Well, that's kinda dumb that they're asking you to self detonate your own Tech Bursts or Biotic Combos.  Some classes will require a Bonus Power for them to be able to do that..... and that may be by design... hmmmm.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

MAIL SLOT~!

Mail slotting Cerberus Guardians during the Mars mission may be my favorite part of the game.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Oh, and hijack an Atlas.

I think there are only two opportunities to hijack an Atlas

1. Jarvik's recruitment mission.
  2. the Cerberus invasion of the Citadel.

The Atlas you comandeer during the Grissom Academy mission doesn't count because in order to hijack an Atlas, you have to kill the pilot first and the other Atlas you fight during the Grissom Academy mission just blows up if it takes too much damage even if you deliberately shoot for the pilot..   

In order to hijack an Atlas, shoot the pilot through the window of the mech.  A Sniper Rifle usually does the job best.  Once the mech stops, you can run up to it and press whatever the action button is for your console.  There will be a brief QTA where you dump the body of the pilot and then you can commandeer the mech and do some damage.

Edited by J.T.

To Casey's point - I am not sure if it is a bug or not but I have been noticing in ME2 that the game is really finicky when it chooses to count something for the Achievement

For example - using Mordin during Grunt's recruitment, I lit about 2 dozen folks on fire using Incinerate (me issuing the command). The tracker only counted 6

Man, Vanguards are fucking squishy early in ME2.  Or I was just spoiled by Tech Armor.

Right now I just have to hang back and just throw Shockwaves at stuff and Biotic charge when there's only 2 guys left.  I also just started and am going after Mordin first so I'll start upgrading right away.

2nd playthrough in ME2 also puts the "already beat the game" bonuses stacked on top of what you'r bringing over from 1, so I'm getting the extra 200k credits and 50k to all resources.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Man, Vanguards are fucking squishy early in ME2.  Or I was just spoiled by Tech Armor.

Right now I just have to hang back and just throw Shockwaves at stuff and Biotic charge when there's only 2 guys left.  I also just started and am going after Mordin first so I'll start upgrading right away.

You'll start seeing better things the more you add points to Assault Mastery and decrease your Charge cooldown so that you are constantly smashing into people and recovering your Barrier.   I'd also advocate picking Champion as your evolved Class skill.  Destroyer looks good on paper, but your bread and butter is being able to BC as often as possible, so you'll probably want to buff your recharge time.

Weapon damage will be a non issue.   After the Derelict Reaper mission, you'll be armed with a fucking Claymore.  Whatever you don't obliterate with your Charge will be leveled by your big honkin' shotgun. 

Don't sleep on your Pull power as you will be able to Biotic Combo with Thane and Miranda (who both have Warp) and that can help soften up enemies for your Biotic Charge.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

To Casey's point - I am not sure if it is a bug or not but I have been noticing in ME2 that the game is really finicky when it chooses to count something for the Achievement.

There definitely seems to be something weird going on with the achievement counters for ME2.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

The armor has to burn completely off, in @RIPPA’s example.

If you burn all of the armor off, the Atlas will explode.  If it is a hijackable mech, you should be able to shoot at the pilot's canopy and kill him; then commandeer the Atlas.

If the armor of an Atlas burns away completely even if you shoot for the pilot, it is not an Atlas you can hijack.

Like I said before, before the Prothean DLC, there was only one opportunity to hijack an Atlas:  Priority: Citadel.  Now you should be able to jack the Atlas during Javik's recruitment as well as Priority: Citadel.  You cannot hijack the mech during the Grissom Academy mission; you can only pilot the damaged mech you find near the end of the mission.

Edited by J.T.

Because of it I spent the evening wildling down LOKI mechs and the having Miranda overload them. That way I was ensured they would die

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For some reason, I was getting trashed while trying to fight 2 blue sun mechs. Must have died like 5 times

Prob had the wrong crew (was using Jack and Grunt). 

Yeah, for anything with a mech you need someone with Tech skills, particularly Overload (Miranda, Kasumi, Garrus) or AI Hacking (Tali and Legion) 

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, for anything with a mech you need someone with Tech skills, particularly Overload (Miranda, Kasumi, Garrus) or AI Hacking (Tali and Legion) 

I was lazy and didn't look up the mission, since I found it was mining a planet (I think Franklin). 

I just picked 2 people that I hadn't used recently so I could assign any new skill points. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Casey meant for me in ME2

That it wasn’t a bug but a poor design choice

Oh, Casey was talking about YMIR mechs!

Yes, it sucks that you have to destroy the shield and burn away the armor before you can use AI Hacking on it.

Edited by J.T.