DVDVR Message Board

[3rd RD] MIZ vs. HARDYS

RIPPA

MIZ vs. HARDYS  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

I loved the Broken Hardys stuff. Loved it.

Here's the thing though, Miz has hit it out of the park since the night after WrestleMania last year. Maryse becoming his manager, the promos, Talking Smack appearances, using Daniel Bryan's moves to mock him, he has just done everything right. I still believe he should have been used to turn AJ Styles into a mega-babyface after he dropped the IC title to Ambrose.

Not even "Fuck that owl" can sway my vote. He's the Miz, and he really has been awesome this year.

19 minutes ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

Miz had an amazing year, and cut some of the promos of his life.

But the Broken Hardys gimmick transcended the way traditional wrestling was presented and put a whole new spin on the genre.

Pretty much this.

Let's look at level of difficulty here. Miz was given a perfect outlet, a post-show where he could sit down and basically spout the same shooty things he's been spouting since 2011. He was given a B-show where a secondary belt could matter due to the smaller roster. He was given eye candy to piss off most people in the crowd. He deals in truth, in blurring the line, in taking advantage of the real life tragedy of Daniel Bryan's career and the pathetic mess that Dolph Ziggler devolved into over the years. He says mean, out of character things, about Nikki Bella, that we may all feel. It's cute, sure, but it's the legacy of Vince Russo and the Attitude era. That makes total sense for a couple of reasons. One of which is that Miz simply isn't talented enough to create his own reality and trade upon that. The other is that his root in enjoying wrestling was that NWO/Attitude era. In a year where Matt Hardy is putting Ricky Morton up on a crane, I doubt Miz even knows who Morton is. It's impressive but it's also a huge shortcut, a cheat.

Then we have the Hardys, putting forth the most creative, imaginative act in years upon years. Something like Matt's performance on Talk is Jericho showed amazing perspective and focus. He was making up bits to the act in the moment, even as Jericho was throwing things at him. (It's out of the period but combine it with Miz on Art of Wrestling a few years ago when Miz couldn't figure out if he was in character or not or how the hell he was supposed to be acting). If Miz had the perfect outlet for himself, a shooty post-show where he was able to take abstract concepts and drown them in the light of reality, Hardy was stuck in TNA, with so much weight and baggage dragging him down. What did he do? He made it worthwhile for maybe the first time ever. He made it can't miss. Look at the thread? We all saw it as a tire fire to start, another MattHardyTV full of substance problems and bizarre distractions. Post after post, day after day, he started to get us on board, going deeper down the rabbit hole, showing more and more commitment to the act, building his own universe even as Miz was like a vulture pulling at the scraps of Ziggler's career and Bryan's injury (and all for what? Ziggler got his win back in the end and none of it ended up mattering and there can NEVER be a payoff to the Bryan stuff). 

They both had impressive years, but the level of difficulty and the level of imagination was wildly different. One embraced all that wrestling could be at its weirdest and wildest and the other made his year on so much that wrestling probably shouldn't be because it shows us far too much of the strings holding it all up.

• Like 8

Talking Smack is the best thing ever to happen to the Miz. We all saw Miz improving, but Talking Smack gave him more of a showcase to shine, which I would assume gave him more opportunities on SDL throughout the year. Plus, again, he had what I thought was an amazing career vs title match against Ziggler. For a short period of time, he made me get behind Ziggler and want Ziggler to win. By most standards, that's a miracle.

There are a lot of truly spectacular things about the Hardys' run, but the presentation of wrestling cannot be spun to such a degree that I stop caring primarily about the wrestling itself. For all of his Broken Brilliance, Matt couldn't make his matches feel like anything but obligations, annoying randomly generated encounters when I just wanted to move the narrative forward. I'd have skipped them altogether if I could have. Miz, on the other hand, entertained me outside of the ring and made me want to see him fight--then delivered compelling matches. (It is a point against him, though, that the match he's best built to cannot happen.)

• Like 2

Ok Miz is a great heel yes i'll give him that but The Broken Hardys! Come on people! Matt went from being a pot belly punchline to completely reinventing Himself anf Jeff and reviving their careers and giving them some extra mileage.

I enjoyed the Hardys and think their act is impressive and something different to NA wrestling. That said, the whole transcendent thing that has never been done claim just feels weird when DDT before they started doing Sumo hall shows and Hustle have existed. Their shtick is completely in line with that craziness. Its fun and will take them far with me, but not over someone who is putting on amazing work promo and match wise. Overall I still enjoy and value traditional wrestling more in the end.

• Like 1

When I saw the matchup I wanted to go "AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!"  I just can't possibly decide.  Just when I'm leaning Miz Matt D gives a helluva argument for considering Hardys.  Then when leaning Hardys I think about the actual matches and promo work Miz did.  I know why Rippa claims we all vote right away then regret it later.  I'm waiting until Thursday or Friday if possible to vote, I just can't possibly decide right now.

Toughest vote so far I think, but surprised/disappointed that it's not very close. Love Miz and am glad to see everyone coming around on him and him having great showcases throughout the year. Hardys were my favorite act of the year and had me look forward to each week to see what would happen next in their story. Nothing tops the buzz and fallout of the Final Deletion for me

I don't really buy that Broken Matt is some sort of transcendant, genre-breaking thing. It's a good gimmick, and ramping up the camp for stuff like Final Deletion sold the gimmick really well, but at the end of the day when it came back to matches in a ring for paying customers (resisting like hell the urge to make the obvious joke) it just wasn't anything special.

• Like 4

I'm not buying that others can do what The Miz can do.  We saw signs of this from The Miz for YEARS..  the guy even made Tough Talk must see television because of how great of a host he is.  That's outside the voting period so let's just discuss Talking Smack.  He was doing those promos LIVE without a script.  Bullet points maybe. He didn't know what Bryan would say.  or what Renee would say.

@Matt D wants to discuss difficulty.   Who else in wrestling right now could do what Miz did in those situations and do it as well as him?  Cena couldn't. The Miz has been at The Rock's level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not buying that others can do what The Miz can do.  We saw signs of this from The Miz for YEARS..  the guy even made Tough Talk must see television because of how great of a host he is.  That's outside the voting period so let's just discuss Talking Smack.  He was doing those promos LIVE without a script.  Bullet points maybe. He didn't know what Bryan would say.  or what Renee would say.

@Matt D wants to discuss difficulty.   Who else in wrestling right now could do what Miz did in those situations and do it as well as him?  Cena couldn't. The Miz has been at The Rock's level. 

Matt Hardy?