DVDVR Message Board

[2nd RD] MATT RIDDLE vs. SAMOA JOE

MATT RIDDLE vs. SAMOA JOE  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am fairly positive that this will be the first result of this tournament that will infuriate me

Because of the severity of the difference or because you simply can't rationalize Joe having a better year than Riddle? Riddle, to me, is still very incomplete and I wonder if his habits aren't getting worse with confidence instead of better. He's dynamic and a breath of fresh air but at the same time is as much Angle/RVD as he is anything else. Joe has been far steadier this year, especially if you count in the house show footage/fancams/live experiences some of us have had. I don't think it should necessarily be a blow out for Joe, but I'm leaning for him over Riddle right now and I've seen (and liked) my share of Riddle matches.

The latter but I also accept that apparently I am in the minority in thinking that Joe had a "meh" year

But - apparently people aren't even considering the time period anymore...

• Like 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

The latter but I also accept that apparently I am in the minority in thinking that Joe had a "meh" year

I voted Joe No.1 on the RoH poll a couple weeks ago, and I think he had one of the weakest years of anyone in this tournament. 

The Balor matches were not amazing, save one (which was mostly Joe, so points to him there). The entire Joe/Nakamura series felt completely skippable. And, uh, that's it. That's his year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Which is why I vote for Riddle here and for Okada in another thread.  Lots of workers resting on laurels this tourney.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Which is why I vote for Riddle here and for Okada in another thread.  Lots of workers resting on laurels this tourney.

And Chris Hero is pretty much the only one of three in this tournament who isn't

• Like 1

I want Samoa Joe to be good still, and he's a good promo, but I'd basically have to be a hardline NXT cultist to buy the idea he had a year roughly 1/4 as good as Riddle's.  I mean...I attended 6 or 7 NXT events last year, and saw Joe live an awful lot so maybe I am an NXT cultist.  But I just don't see any evidence to support the idea he's in the same universe as Riddle.  Granted I'm less in line with the Segunda Caida critique that he's an emerging Angle BUT even if he was a 2004 Angle I'd take 2004 Angle over 2016 Samoa Joe 100 out of 100 times.  

Joe is a guy who was actually HURT some by me seeing him live last year and I say that as someone who has been a fan of his for well over a decade.  If you were hurt by me seeing you live you shouldn't get out of the first round.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Something I think people are underselling is Joe's character work. Whether it was non-talky Demon, or still learning English Nakamura, Joe had to carry his NXT feuds on the mic.

Some of this is definitely the nebulous voting criteria which is both part of the charm and part of the frustration of March Madness.

When I talked to Riddle recently he definitely knows the comparisons between him and Angle and I think it's led to him studying Kurt more.  Even though he's taken some of Kurt's tendencies I'm still voting for the guy.  I love Joe but this has been a down year for him.

What I'd rather vote for is Riddle against Joe to see what happens.  That would be one hell of a matchup.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

#humblebrag

Thank goodness for the Evolve show in Joppa.  The guys out there had all the time in the world to talk before and after the show.  Riddle had a long line, but when I got up there he was super cool.  Love his Jim Beam and is every bit the bro one would expect.

And as for hashtags I'm more for using in this case #blessed  But that's one of the main benefits of going to Evolve shows so if it's in town go to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well, despite my terrible old man tastes, I find that we are in agreement here. Joe definitely had a down year, so the question becomes "Was Riddle's year sufficiently good to move him ahead of a rather stagnant Joe?" I think the answer is a resounding "Yes!".

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Probably not good to follow Dylan on that,  since I think Riddle was at the Hales Family Thanksgiving or something.

You don't have to look that hard to see Bro all over Papa Hales' timeline. Vote for Bro, vote for Riddle.

I went with Joe. Again, it came down to character and promo work and for me, I feel like Joe is one of the best guys in the company on the mic. He brings such an intensity to his promos, he doesn't flub them, and it never feels rehearsed. He looks physically imposing in the ring and on the mic, everything he says sounds like something he's going to back up.

With Riddle, I know a lot of you enjoy him, but man, he just comes off as such a brah type guy, like Rob Van Dam, but way more of a stoner. Dude just bugs me whenever he talks. In ring, he's pretty good, but I like Joe's style more than Riddle's.

• Like 2

I can see you not liking his talking.  He didn't sound that bad in his promo at the Evolve show (was more intense when calling somebody out).  But meeting him at the table he seemed like he was high as a kite.  I like him as a wrestler, but not sure I'd want to hang out with him.