DVDVR Message Board

[2nd RD] IO SHIRAI vs. #DIY

IO SHIRAI vs. #DIY  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, J.T. said:

The correct answer is Io Shirai which only I and two other smart people have chosen so far.

Saying Io is a flat "correct" option, when Gargano and Ciampa simply tore the house down in just about every big match they had, is incorrect. I love Io, but DIY are one of the few people I'd have no problem with making the final 4.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Saying Io is a flat "correct" option, when Gargano and Ciampa simply tore the house down in just about every big match they had, is incorrect.

No, it's not.

Voted Io though I fully expect DIY to win in the end. I feel odd because I know I should be ok with that because of the good-great work they pulled yet somehow it still just doesn't feel right. I'm not even going to lie they are about equal for me, but it still bothers me for some reason.

Io is likely the best female wrestler in the world.  Given the reputation she's built up in the past year alone she should be in the final 4 without a doubt.

DIY are an amazing tag team and have had some barn-burners with DIY and others.  And they got a helluva match out of AoP at Takeover.  Add to that their CWC run and you have a team that against many should easily win.

I went with Io though.  It's impossible to overlook the awesome stuff that she's done, and if I'm willing to vote her over a stellar tag them then IMO she should easily win this round.  If DIY wins I won't be mad at all, but maybe a bit disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Saying Io is a flat "correct" option, when Gargano and Ciampa simply tore the house down in just about every big match they had, is incorrect.

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I just couldn't vote against Io. I'm not sure if there is anyone in this tournament I can vote over Io, one further thought. She's just so fucking good.

You do realize I will make it as difficult as possible for you to live down this sea change, right?

20 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I simply said it wasn't an easy decision.

It's only as complicated as you make it.  #DIY have had a really good year and they are a great team, but Io is a force of nature right now.

#DIY. The match against each other in CWC, that moment afterward, their epic matches against the Revival, winning the tag titles, and how they lost them will continue to make a hell of an argument for #DIY over anyone else for much of this tournament. It's weird that as I've gotten older, "feel good" moments matter more and #DIY definitely had more of those.

Io is amazing, but I simply haven't seen enough of her work and of what I've seen, while great, just doesn't match the best stuff from #DIY for me.

Io looks, moves, and acts like a goddamn superstar in everything from this period I've watched now.  It's real close, given the Revival tags and my strong emotional attachment to their CWC match-up, but I'm going for Io over DIY here, if primarily because I can best rationalize a decision by weighting her work as a singles competitor against the bump they're getting as both a team and singles competitors, if that makes sense.

23 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

I voted for Io but I kind of want to change my vote to DIY after reading the thread and seeing JT's posts.

If you're being contrarian merely because of my assertive opinion then you should've voted for #DIY, bro.

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

J.T. isn't exactly known for his subtlety.

Oyaji understands.. :)

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

"#DIY is objectively the wrong pick" comes off more like anti-WWE puro elitism than assertiveness. 

Bullshitting and trash talking and friendly board sarcasm not withstanding, how does the assumption my alleged elitism equate into Io not being deserving of every vote she gets?

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Oyaji understands.. :)

Bullshitting and trash talking and friendly board sarcasm not withstanding, how does the assumption my alleged elitism equate into Io not being deserving of every vote she gets?

Selling #DIY short the way you appear to be doing could lead to people thinking they are being underrated and deserve the vote.

Pretty much. I'm not as high on the DIY/Revival matches as the board is but they had a really strong year and judging from what I saw of both of them prior to their NXT tenure, they grew leaps and bounds in their ability to tell a compelling story. They also got a very good match out of the AOP, so on them.

I believe it was Charlie M. who said Gargano is doing a Shawn Michaels tribute with his selling and I'd agree, though I see that as a negative. A little too hammy for me and he doesn't have the facial reactions for it to be the Ricky Morton-level either.

Io has a lot of flaws but she's got a great, believable ring presence of confidence and arrogance. Her execution of moves is outstanding too.