DVDVR Message Board

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

RIPPA

JBL serves hardly any purpose for the WWE. He's still an asshole, they cancelled his show, and he's fucking awful as an announcer. He's barely better than fucking Otunga of all people. They could future endeavor him and just save the money. Is there going to be this huge outpouring of backlash because they fired JBL?!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I honestly wonder what Vince, who seems to have very weird feelings about things like oh, I don't know, sneezing and substance abuse and the human need for sleep, feels about mental illness.

JJ Dillon said that once he was sick with the flu and tried to call out but Vince told him to come in anyway b/c he wasn't going to be any sicker at the office than he was at home or some bullshit like that. 

"C'mon pal. You're not gonna be any sadder at the office than you are at home so you might as well come to work."

• Like 2

GODDAMIT IT PAL DON'T BE SAD COME TO WORK WE HAVE SANTINO HE'LL CHEER YOU RIGHT UP

*See Freddie Prinze Jr's story of how he was watching a movie on his tablet or something and Vince approached him:

Vince: Why aren't you watching wrestling?

Prinze: I just feel like watching some comedy.

Vince: WATCH SOME SANTINO THEN

• Like 3

Allow me to play devil's advocate here, but is what JBL said/did really all that bad?  Like, haven't JBL (previously), Cole and Graves said something far worse to Byron Saxton 2-3 times per show than JBL chastizing Ranallo for acknowledging an outside WWE award?  

I'm also not sure if this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.  I know quite often on Smackdown, Ranallo will call a move by its Japanese name or work in a pop culture reference and JBL will blow up at him, but you can see in the background that Ranallo is laughing quite hard at what JBL said to him, so do we know, for a fact, that this recent lapse is even related to JBL?  Sometimes with mental illness, there's no trigger, it just strikes.  Is there a possibility that Ranallo was just worn down by fatigue and people are in a rush to judgment that it was JBL's fault because JBL is a perfectly acceptable villain?

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, caley said:

Allow me to play devil's advocate here, but is what JBL said/did really all that bad?  Like, haven't JBL (previously), Cole and Graves said something far worse to Byron Saxton 2-3 times per show than JBL chastizing Ranallo for acknowledging an outside WWE award?  

I'm also not sure if this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.  I know quite often on Smackdown, Ranallo will call a move by its Japanese name or work in a pop culture reference and JBL will blow up at him, but you can see in the background that Ranallo is laughing quite hard at what JBL said to him, so do we know, for a fact, that this recent lapse is even related to JBL?  Sometimes with mental illness, there's no trigger, it just strikes.  Is there a possibility that Ranallo was just worn down by fatigue and people are in a rush to judgment that it was JBL's fault because JBL is a perfectly acceptable villain?

This.  We don't really have enough info about what JBL and Ranallo's relationship is really like, if JBL knew about Ranallo's issues, if he was really being malicious, if Ranallo's doing whatever he needs to do to keep the condition manageable, etc. Past stories make me think JBL might be a jerk, but I've never met him so I'm not in any position to judge.

Also, as much as I'm sympathetic to Ranallo personally, businesses aren't required to make allowances for your personal baggage.  If your employer wants to be sympathetic, or run a campaign on your behalf, great.  If not, that's their prerogative too.  I generally sympathize with the employer in situations like this do I think it's pretty reasonable if Vince is concerned about putting someone with Ranallo's apparent issues on tv with a live mic in his hand,  I'm sympathetic if Vince just doesn't want to deal with potentially giving Ranallo extended time off every time this happens.  It might make him a jerk.  It doesn't make him entirely in the wrong.  Having your personal issues play out in front of co-workers is probably going to fine in most cases.  Having your issues play out in front of clients, a tv audience, whatever, is a different story.

I was once in Ranallo's spot, sorta.  Not mental health issues.  A scene from my divorce got played out in front of the staff at a client's office.  I was part of a team conducting an audit.  No one made a big deal about it.  Client shrugged it off, my bosses were sympathetic.  I quit the firm a month later.  Part of it was my embarrassment.  Lot of it was a feeling I embarrassed the firm and could end up being a liability.  It sucked to leave a job I liked, but there are other jobs out there and I wasn't comfortable asking my employer to make special allowances for me because I couldn't control my personal life.  And, at the end of the day, I got another job, life went on. 

9 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

businesses aren't required to make allowances for your personal baggage.  If your employer wants to be sympathetic, or run a campaign on your behalf, great.  If not, that's their prerogative too. 

I know you're not trying to come off like a dick but I need to tell you you're incorrect in this assertion.  Renallo's issue is not "baggage."  It's literally a disease.  And mental health is a protected characteristic according to the Equality Act of 2010 (until that orange goof in the White House decides to roll it back, too).  "Protected characteristic" meaning you can't discriminate based on it.  It is not an employer's prerogative to be sympathetic or not in this case.  Vince can't legally say "we're taking you out of this job because you're bipolar" any more than he could for race or religion reasons.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, caley said:

LezT30q.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The Bas Rutten tweet joking about loving to meet up with JBL would be a point against those arguments.

It may mean he was the cause, but it doesn't really say he knew or realized before the issues became clear. Nothing JBL did was seemingly outside of what he did with previous face broadcasters. He attacks Otunga regularly and Otunga snipes back regularly. Cole did as well. He might have incorrectly assumed it would be the same with Ranello.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

JBL serves hardly any purpose for the WWE. He's still an asshole, they cancelled his show, and he's fucking awful as an announcer. He's barely better than fucking Otunga of all people. They could future endeavor him and just save the money. Is there going to be this huge outpouring of backlash because they fired JBL?!

JBL is a FOX NEWS commentator, he will forever be a WWE employee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I know you're not trying to come off like a dick but I need to tell you you're incorrect in this assertion.  Renallo's issue is not "baggage."  It's literally a disease.  And mental health is a protected characteristic according to the Equality Act of 2010 (until that orange goof in the White House decides to roll it back, too).  "Protected characteristic" meaning you can't discriminate based on it.  It is not an employer's prerogative to be sympathetic or not in this case.  Vince can't legally say "we're taking you out of this job because you're bipolar" any more than he could for race or religion reasons.

I'm aware of all that.  Vince has allegedly let people go because he thought they were odd-looking.  If he wants to let Ranallo go, Ranallo will be gone for some reason or other.  Besides, the Equality Act basically guarantees that Vince can't fire violate Ranallo's contract and fire him due to his illness.  It wouldn't prevent him from buying out Ranallo's contract and never putting him on tv again.  It wouldn't prevent him from paying Ranallo his salary and letting him sit at home.  It wouldn't prevent him from banishing Ranallo to a taped show.  I doubt it comes to that, though.  As Meltzer pointed out, WWE isn't going to want to be seen as unsympathetic by advertisers and corporate partners.

As for being wrong, eh, it's just my opinion.  I'm sympathetic to Ranallo.  It undoubtedly sucks for him and it sucks for him to have to sit through what we're doing now - discussing this in public.  I think his condition should unquestionably be protected by the law.  I also think that he's putting the company in a rotten position - possibly/probably through no fault of his own.

I've had people question my abilities because I have a scar from brain surgery above one ear.  It's from a car wreck when I was four.  When I hit 35, I went bald and the scar becamer visible.  I've been asked about it in job interviews.  Not everyone wants an accountant who may be brain damaged (I'm not).  It's a rude question, and, in theory, it's discriminatory, but I've always been fine with it and whatever follow-up information the person wants. It's reasonable to wonder about the scar and wonder if It somehow affects my professional skills.  Last thing I would want is for someone to be uncomfortable with the questions. 

I obviously have a different mindset about this issue than Ranallo - and, honestly, he is more well-adjusted than I am in this regard.  He's discussed it publicly, so he's obviously come to terms with it.  I admire him for that.  If I were in his spot, I'd probably not tell anyone unless they observed some sort of episode.  I freely admit that's a terrible attitude to have.  If someone asked me about disclosing his condition, I'd tell them that not talking about it would perpetuate the stigma and that their mental health will suffer if they keep it a secret.  Obviously, I'm not much for taking my own advice.  Hell, I'd much prefer to wear a toupee to hide the scar but my wife and kids are dead-set against it.  What can I say?  Once in a while, I'm a giant hypocrite.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have referred to Ranallo's illness as "baggage."  That's trivializing it and I know better.  Wasn't thinking and I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

But it's okay because the WWE hired Blue Meanie and gave him a win over JBL on TV. Which is just as good as an apology or a firing in pro wrestling right? ....right? Man, fuck JBL.

Best part of this, was Stevie murdering JBL with a chair shot... 

Is there any basis for the JBL is great at investing stuff or is it a work? Looks like his wife was running a hedge fund and he started showing up to work in a suit and tie and the story took off.

On Sunday mornings I'd be at the gym and see JBL on a Fox News talking head panel. It really makes you realize what a joke everything is. 

• Like 1

JBL is decent with money if you follow those things. I mean he was smart enough to move himself, his company's, ect to Bermuda for their wonderful tax shelter laws. But, he was decently good with money before he ever met his wife on one of those Fox business shows. Meredith Whitney (his wife) is the one who went on CNBC and said flat out how bad the banks really were in 2008. She made a lot of enemies that day for telling the truth.

That said, JBL is still a dick. I suffer from depression. I've been trolled into a bad episodes before. There's one of two things you can do when those sort of situations happen. You can either suck it up (which 9/10 times I do) and bury it and save all that sadness and anger for a rainy day or you can have a spectacular crash right off the gate.. I prefer to bury my sadness and anger...of course when you hit that low, the low is pretty damn low. I really hope Mauro is all right. He seems like a great guy and it would suck if his bipolar got the best of him like this.

When he comes back eventually he should just kick JBL in the nuts. One, he'll feel better and Two, you know Vince will probably give him a raise.

• Like 1

Anybody else watching Joey Janela's Spring Break tonight (9 PM EDT is pretty brutal for y'all over there)? Matt Riddle vs. Dan Severn, Joey vs. Marty Jannetty, KEITH LEE vs. Lio Rush, Sami Callihan is there, and a clusterfuck match with GLACIER, Dink, among others.

Here's Severn responding to Riddle's braggadocious promo in the most Dan Severn way possible.

The EVOLVE show starting in an hour features Keith Lee vs. Ricochet (UH, YEAH). Too much good wrestling but I'm feeling the new Floslam sub is going to pay dividends big time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brysynner said:

JBL is a FOX NEWS commentator, he will forever be a WWE employee

Tyrus is a Fox News commentator.

He used to be Brodus Clay.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:17 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Raven Mack still alive out there? I feel like I've asked this question before. Surely he's happy to be off the grid with his wife in the hills somewhere. 

YES I AM STILL ALIVE. I AM HAPPY AS HAPPY CAN BE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO ANYBODY IS BUT IT'S JUST THE INTERNET. LOOK - I EVEN WRITE SHIT ABOUT WRESTLING FROM TIME TO TIME...

watching old SMW in the context of living under Trump era

• Like 10