DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

WHY THE FUCK CAN I SUDDENLY NOT CLOSE THE FUCKING SHUTTERS????Grr....

I always do the chamber in the middle and the chamber on the left first.

For some reason, when you hit the room on the right, an endless stream of Vorcha and Varren constantly pour out of that coridoor in numbers so frequent that it is hard to keep them away long enough to allow the shutters to close.

The mission is doubly hard since it is the second mission most players do, so you've got shitty shields and health and maybe one or two heavy weapons at your disposal.  I actually have to fire a few guided missiles or grenades to keep those assholes at bay when I am trying to close the shutters.

Yeah - I rage quit out of a Mass Effect game for the first time in a long time.

And it's exactly what you are talking about.

What really pisses me off is that up to that I was having my best run ever since Garrus had barely gotten a scratch on him.

Of course - I was getting myself into trouble since I was confusing control schemes. When you go left - there are all those half walls that if this was ME3 - I would be grabbing the fuck out of folks. Which I kept trying to do last night.

The control scheme confusion also fucked me because I forgot that in ME2 - medigel only revives down squadmates. So I would be low on health and start spamming what SHOULD be the omnigel button but alas... wrong game.

Twice a fucking vareen killed me as when you press the shutter button in you are in a corner and the vareen pinned me against the boxes and I STILL haven't been able to melee yet.

Grr...

Blood Pack is going to die tonight

My tactic is to take Mordin with me.  Incineration tech is disturbingly effective against the Blood Pack, especially those Vorcha douchebags with the flamethrowers. 

You can use Miranda's Overload to detonate their fuel cells too, but Incinerate has the bonus effect of causing enemies to panic, prevents Krogan & Vorcha regen ability, and damages their armor.  . 

The trick is to talk to Mordin about upgrades and then having enough Eezo to unlock his specialized Omni-Tool that gives him bonus tech damage.

It's me and Miranda.

I have Incinerate myself so - yes, I am lighting fools on fire.

I don't have Mordin yet since I also do Garrus first. Granted this time, it was requested of me to get Garrus as soon as possible by my wife. She also insists I romance him this go around. So yeah... my wife is going to leave me for a Turian.

Basically I was in a rage fit last night over the stupid health system so I wasn't playing smart.

That will be correct tonight

I should be on tonight at the usual time if you need to satisfy your rage while blasting Reapers or something. 

I had to roll up to Maryland last night to get my girlfriend to the doctor's office (she has a respiratory infection) and I just got back this morning, so cash payed out for her meds swallowed up the Saints Row 4 monies.  I'll have to wait another paycheck.

You would think I would remember by now that is impossible to be a pure Paragon in ME2 and stop passing up advantageous Renegade opportunities.

Every time I pass up weakening the gun ship and I don't shoot the random Eclipse mech.

But then you recruit Mordin and still get a arbitrary +5 renegade.

I must have spent 15 minutes last night trying to figure out why that +5 is assigned and found some really plausible theories (like if you hack medigel stations in the quarantine zone, you get one renegade point for each) but none of them are actually true

I took a lot more Renegade hits in my last playthrough than normal because I decided to:

1) Kill Cathka so he couldn't fix the gunship

2) Shoot Elmyra because she pulled a gun on me AND lied about being an Eclipse merc.

3) Nuked the Heretics.

I don't know why you get Renegade points for killing the Thresher Maw and I can only assume that some of the dialogue choices lead to the random +5 Renegade point issue.

Yeah - you get a default +5 to both Paragon and Renegade after a few of the big missions. Then your choices give you additional points during said missions.

Only thing I can think off was that they wanted to open up more dialogue choices without people having to do too much.

I can understand why killing Cathka earns Renegade points but considering that literally 5 seconds later you turn on everyone else is seems kinda unnecessary.

Of course - getting renegade points for shooting the fucking mech is beyond me.

I need to go back and watch that video of all the renegade interrupts in ME2 to see if there is anything I should do.

Oh I also totally forgot - I guess I never tried to take Garrus with me into the quarantine zone before.

I did like the touch where the game is like "Umm... you might want to bring an all-human crew"

I still get irritated that Ashley is all panties in a twist with me on Horizon.

I mean I have Garrus right there. If you are going to irrationally hate me, why not actually listen to someone else who was there?

Oh right - you hate aliens.

Grr...

Speaking of Ashley - a random thing I learned today watching random ME videos

- Since I always play pure Paragon, I never noticed that bad things are afoot in the conforntation with Ashley over Udina

- And the jealous Ashley quotes in ME3 are amazing. Such the bitch

Also, I have gotten jealous Liara comments to Tali before but I had never ever got the scene where Liara calls out Tali for ordering special Quarian lady toys.

Given all of the bullshit deneumont, the IT is a satisfying conclusion.

What I don't understand is why didn't they just give Shep one last badass battle?  All we wanted was to board Sovereign, prime a nuke, have a shitload of shootouts, and escape within a whisker of our lives.

I know this isn't the reason but I am now convincing myself that the reason you always get Tali later in the game is because they knew how overpowered she would be in most situations.

ME - 2nd to last squadmate you get

ME2 - Not available until Act 2

ME3 - Not available until Act 2

Heck - in ME2, she could be the last non-Legion person you get. Not me of course - immediately went to Haestrom. Plus I got to see Kal'Reeger again so good times