DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

I abandoned trying to get the 75% completion achievements because I just want to get this over with so I can get to Mass Effect 2.

I was also realizing last night that I don't think I let Fist live in my Male Shepard playthrough - if I did, I have no memory of it. So at least I will get to talk to him this time around when I get to Omega.

It is really interesting doing the Mass Effect story now, seeing all the things that were referenced that we had no clue about. Like the AI stealing the money who said the only two options between Synthetics and Organics is Control or Destroy.

Yeah, I always manage to get Fist killed because I feel obligated to take Wrex along with me when I go to Chora's Den.

I have also blown about five or ten minutes statting Jenkins only to realize that he will never fire a shot in anger.  I almost goofed and equipped Jenkins with Ashley's gear.

Yeah - I have a serious problem with everyone calling Jenkins a "good soldier"

IT'S MY FIRST MISSION!!! IT'S MY FIRST MISSION!!!

Then he just runs straight out in no cover gets shot by a fucking Geth Drone and dies. What kinda shitty ass shield did he have?

I remember when everyone assumed that James Sanders... er.. Vega... was going to end up as cannon fodder and then he goes and survives the whole thing.

Bioware should've followed GoW's lead with the Carmine brothers and found another Jenkins sibling to kill off right in front of you.

The bloom is definitely off the rose in replaying Mass Effect.

God Lord is the first game tedious.

Must... grind... to... Level 60

Granted - I pretty much have all the side missions done (all that are left are the ones that pop up after Feros and Noveria). I would say I could start my ME2 run next week but it's pretty much hell around here until Labor Day.

Ditto.  I pull swing shift on Thursdays - Saturdays until Labor Day.

I think I am going to hit the Grand Prix of Baltimore on Labor Day weekend with my girlfriend.

Grinding to Level 60 in ME was the worst.  I had to resort to the old "whittle down Thresher Maws down to 1HP and score killshot with Sniper Rifle" to guarantee that it would only take one New Game+ session to port a Level 60 to ME2.

I will say this - if I dont get to Level 60 on this playthrough, I will just start a new game to get to Level 60 get the achievement but that wont be the character I carry through.

My Male Shepard - I ended the 1st playthrough at Level 50 and still got to 59.

My FemShep was at Level 54 at the end of playthrough 1. I am at Level 58 now and haven't touched Bringing Down the Sky, Feros, Noveria, Virmire, Ilos, etc...

I think THINK I am good. But I am still sniping anything and everything I can just to be sure

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably the longest a ME thread has been dead not including the board dying. Come on people, I have no 360 right now, ENTERTAIN ME!

Frankly, I'm surprised that concept art did not stir more discussion. I found that shit fascinating.

In regards to the concept art - I had seen that posted already and I almost feel like we had talked about it in the other thread. The weird naked Illusive Man is the stuff nightmares is made of.

I had been slogging through my 2nd Mass Effect play through and didn't really have anything to report there.

JT and did get on multiplayer for the first time in forever last night.

Poor poor readiness rating

The Pirates101 day camp is in full swing so I haven't played my solo campaign in forever.  It is all I can do to keep my RR% at close to 100%.

One day I will finish throwing that party.

Finally hit Level 60 last night on my drive out to the Salarian Team on Virmire.

Thank God... now I can go quicker because I don't have to go around hoping out of the Mako everywhere so I can max experience points.

It also means I don't have to suffer through Pinnacle Station anymore

Finished up 1 and started 2

I realized that Benezia's downfall should tug on the heart strings more but for some reason Ali Hillis went all Shatner on her delivery of Liara's lines at that moment. I never noticed it until the most recent time too.

I also appreciated way more the emotion of when the Alliance comes to make the save of the Destiny Ascension. 

Yeah, I shotgunned a couple of ME1 playthroughs trying to get a Level 60 to import and I also noticed Ali's rather forced delivery of Liara's lines.  Voice acting has come a long way.  You should see the Director's Blog for the new Tomb Raider.  There is a scene where Camilla Luddington is actually crying in the booth while doing the dialogue when Lara is forced to kill one of her captors and there isn't a dry eye in the dev booth.

Again - it has been so long since I played the 2nd game (probably at least two years) - adjusting to the control scheme is fun. I am still not sure I figured out how to melee again. At least the controls are closer to ME3 so that is better. Being an Infiltrator might bone me because I so forgot how fucking annoying it is collecting thermal clips early in the game is.

There is great joy though in experience those things as FemShep that you don't get as Male Shep. Like having a Volus offer to father several "bulbous children"

My FemShep really needs to slow her roll with Jacob though. Every word that comes out of her mouth in conversation with him sounds like she is restraining herself from leaping across the table and mounting him.

I never meleed in ME2 because all you do is pistol whip or rifle butt a guy.  Omni-Tool melee was the best thing to be introduced in the game.

And yeah, collecting thermal clips in ME2 is a nightmare, but not nearly the epic hassle that is keeping your squaddies in cover so that they will return fire.  The pathing / tracking in ME2 is horrible.

The reason I asked about the melee is because the "Kill a guy after he is knocked back by a punch" is one of the few achievements I don't have.

I will at least get the Incinerate and Overload ones this time.

The reason I asked about the melee is because the "Kill a guy after he is knocked back by a punch" is one of the few achievements I don't have.

I will at least get the Incinerate and Overload ones this time.

Oh, getting the Brawler achievement is easy.  Since you're playing an Infiltrator, you will want to use your Heavy Pistol to score a killing headshot after you melee / pistol whip an enemy.

The ideal enemies to get this achievement with are Husks because they go down with one headshot after you stun them with a melee attack, so when you are doing the Horizon, Collector Ship story missions or the N7 Abandoned Mine mission on planet Aequitas (Minos Wasteland, Fortis system), just make sure you are the one doing most of the killing with the pistol whip / headshot strategy.

N7 Abandoned Mine mission is great because an almost unlimited number of Husks try to attack you.  Just be careful not to get too close to the Abominations because unlike ME3, they always blow up when they die.

The counter is cumulative through all of your profiles, IIRC.  You don't have to kill 100 enemies like that on one character.