DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2017

Dolfan in NYC

It's about time they sacked Blind. Of course, with the two morons in charge of the Dutch national team, heaven knows what they'll dredge up to replace him. My money's on de Boer because he's free and he did well at Ajax... although I'd love to see van Gaal back, even if that's mainly for his insane antics. Pretty sad to see the state of the Dutch team. They missed out on the European Championship, and now most likely the World Cup too.

I haven't followed the qualifying super closely but it seems like the Dutch team has been using an inordinately high number of players 22 and under in their senior national team for no real definable reason. Sure a lot of them are top prospects but you can't throw a kid's team into a man's competition and not expect trouble, surely.

It's funny how Rippa chides me (rightfully) for dragging everyone over to this thread from the World Cup thread, and everyone just keeps posting in this thread.

The inertial mass of DVDVR posting is large.

(Insert your own joke here)

• Like 1

Normally this time of year is when I get jealous as half my Twitter feed seems to be flocking to WrestleMania and checking out loads of shows in the area. This year, however, Mania Sunday is going to have to take a backseat, as somehow, the worst Coventry City team of my lifetime is going to Wembley. I mean, we're doing it in the most Cov way possible, making the final of the least prestigious trophy in English football (the Checkatrade trophy) in it's least prestigious season (the year that the "adding U23's team" experiment has seen attendances fall to record lows) whilst sat rock bottom of League One, but there's nowhere else on earth I'd rather be. Even though I'll be sat watching the likes of Nathan Clarke and Jordan Turnbull introducing the watching world to their own unique brand of defending (head the ball upwards, don't move to the player with the ball, assume the other centre-back has it covered), I'll be doing it in the home of football, with 44,000 other Sky Blues fans, and I can't wait.

• Like 2

They honoured Cristiano Ronaldo by naming the airport on his home city after him. And also unveiling a bust of Niall Quinn.

cristiano-ronaldo-statue-internet-freaks NiallQuinnNov15_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie

• Like 1

A lot of Fulham fans don't think Shahid Khan is a good owner. But they like that he got rid of this from outside Craven Cottage:

JackonStatue_415.jpg

Michael Jackson did go to a game there once. So expect Everton to put up a Sylvester Stallone statue soon, as he's been to Goodison Park twice. And has a habit of getting statues when other people deserve them (Joe Frazier).

• Like 1

On 30 March 2017 at 0:07 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

Normally this time of year is when I get jealous as half my Twitter feed seems to be flocking to WrestleMania and checking out loads of shows in the area. This year, however, Mania Sunday is going to have to take a backseat, as somehow, the worst Coventry City team of my lifetime is going to Wembley. I mean, we're doing it in the most Cov way possible, making the final of the least prestigious trophy in English football (the Checkatrade trophy) in it's least prestigious season (the year that the "adding U23's team" experiment has seen attendances fall to record lows) whilst sat rock bottom of League One, but there's nowhere else on earth I'd rather be. Even though I'll be sat watching the likes of Nathan Clarke and Jordan Turnbull introducing the watching world to their own unique brand of defending (head the ball upwards, don't move to the player with the ball, assume the other centre-back has it covered), I'll be doing it in the home of football, with 44,000 other Sky Blues fans, and I can't wait.

Best wishes, @Sky Blue Sam!

• Like 1

On 30 March 2017 at 0:07 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

Congratulations, @Sky Blue Sam!

• Like 1