DVDVR Message Board

MMMMM-Good!!! The Food Thread Returns

OSJ

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Ginger beer is pretty fucking great, and for us drinkers, an excellent mixer!

I just discovered the joy that is BonChon Korean fried chicken, after hearing about it on Doughboys*. Looked em up and luckily enough there's a handful in Mass, grabbed some in Lowell yesterday and it may still be the honeymoon period but I've never had better take-out fried chicken. 

* - this podcast is an absolute blessing for somebody that travels the country, eating on the company card. I definitely love to try small, local restaurants wherever I'm staying, but sometimes you need the reliability of a good chain.

We have no BonChon out this way, so I had Church's for dinner last night. So much better than KFC...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I just discovered the joy that is BonChon Korean fried chicken, after hearing about it on Doughboys*. Looked em up and luckily enough there's a handful in Mass, grabbed some in Lowell yesterday and it may still be the honeymoon period but I've never had better take-out fried chicken. 

* - this podcast is an absolute blessing for somebody that travels the country, eating on the company card. I definitely love to try small, local restaurants wherever I'm staying, but sometimes you need the reliability of a good chain.

I love Korean food, but BonChon is up there with cheesecake on things that make me feel terrible after I eat them.  I remember the first time I had it, I was telling my roommate how much I liked it and about an hour later I was curled up in the fetal position.  

• Like 1

It sat a little heavy in my stomach, which wasn't great when I had to help unload a truck full of boxes, but the ache was worth it. I know what you mean, though, SO many places leave you feeling pretty shitty after, even as delicious as they were. Burgers are my weakness so I feel that feeling often, but interestingly enough, I NEVER feel that way after Steak And Shake, so they're preferred when I'm out driving. Culver's is similar (and superior). Of course, we have neither here in New England, which is probably good for my overall health...

John, fully fucking agree. Church's is another we don't have around here but it's a worthy indulgence any time I encounter one. Those biscuits alone make it better than even Popeye's, which I like a lot. Apparently they're both owned by the same company, though, so it's interesting that they remain slightly different. 

KFC ain't my favorite, but I'll be in Louisville KY next month and feel like I HAVE to have some of The Colonel's secret recipe in the state where it all started ?

Edited by christopher.annino

22 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

It sat a little heavy in my stomach, which wasn't great when I had to help unload a truck full of boxes, but the ache was worth it. I know what you mean, though, SO many places leave you feeling pretty shitty after, even as delicious as they were. Burgers are my weakness so I feel that feeling often, but interestingly enough, I NEVER feel that way after Steak And Shake, so they're preferred when I'm out driving. Culver's is similar (and superior). Of course, we have neither here in New England, which is probably good for my overall health...

John, fully fucking agree. Church's is another we don't have around here but it's a worthy indulgence any time I encounter one. Those biscuits alone make it better than even Popeye's, which I like a lot. Apparently they're both owned by the same company, though, so it's interesting that they remain slightly different. 

KFC ain't my favorite, but I'll be in Louisville KY next month and feel like I HAVE to have some of The Colonel's secret recipe in the state where it all started ?

Little-known factoid. KFC started in Seattle when the "Col." was working at the Twin Teepees on Aurora Ave N. 

I must admit that I prefer Popeye's to any other chain, but we don't have one any closer than two hours away. I like Popeye's a lot, but not enough for a two-hour drive. If we have to go that far, I'm having Mongolian Grill.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Wait, what, seriously? I had no idea although this does kind of explain why both do the Tuesday chicken deal. Me and my older brother alternate between the two each week.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wait, what, seriously? I had no idea although this does kind of explain why both do the Tuesday chicken deal. Me and my older brother alternate between the two each week.

Upon further inspection, they WERE both owned by the same soulless megacorp but are now separate. Still, weird that they were at any point both competitors and allies. 

• Like 1

Well, we were going to get some a to have while watching UFC, but then our niece showed up with some freshly-butchered lamb and some fry bread... So much better than pizza!

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, christopher.annino said:

There was a Bonchon that opened up a mile from where we lived at the time in Baltimore.  My wife got a job there and for the most part seemed to like it.  I can still remember the first time having that double fried chicken.  I don't know what sorcery they used but man did I fall in love with that so much.  And the rest of the menu had some pretty good stuff though it sometimes depended on the cook making them.  But at great as the food was the people running it didn't know what they were doing and closed that location.  But it was fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

We probably should have a seperate recipe thread so Jeff and I could really go to town, but this is simple enough that anyone can do it:

OSJ's Famous Thai Burgers:

You will need:

Ground beef (if you want the full New Mexico experience add a little ground lamb)

Buns (burgers without buns make Baby Jeebus cry.)

Onions: You will want both a small red onion and a couple of good-size Vidalia or Walla Walla Sweets. (Walla Walla Sweets are better, and I ain't saying that just because I'm from Washington, they just seem to be a little sweeter with no oniony aftertaste.)

Peanut butter (Creamy is preferred as it melts better and doesn't have the off-putting texture of chunky. Everytime I eat chunky peanut butter I think I've lost a filling...)

Lettuce (finely chopped, thank you very much)

Sriracha

Habaneros or jalapenos (optional, you guys on the East Coast should probably not try this, no worries, the red onion and Sriracha give it plenty of kick.)

Beverage of choice. OSJ suggests Ginger Beer which I've found goes delightfully with EVERYTHING!

Extra sharp Cheddar Cheese

Here's what you do, very thinly slice enough cheese for however many burgers you are going to make. (As it is still summer, I don't want to hear of making this indoors. Real men do not cook indoors until after Labor Day.) 

Also you want to finely dice the red onions, because you are going to mix the red onion with your burger meat. Cooked that way it imparts amazing flavor that you just don't get from the raw onion.

After you flip your burgers, count to thirty and apply the peanut butter and cheese (IN THAT ORDER). In the amount of time it takes you to prepare the buns, the cheese should be just melted enough and the peanut butter cooked into the meat. If you are really a fiend for peanut butter, apply some to the bottom bun and put the Sriracha on the top bun. Why? Very simple, you want the Sriracha to be absorbed by both the bun and the meat, the peanut butter on the bottom bun gives you a nice sticky foundation so the lettuce and diced onions don't fall all over the place and make a mess. Enjoy!

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 4

That sounds pretty easy to make.  My wife is not a fan of spice so knowing my luck I'll do regular burgers for her and your style for me.  And yes habaneros will be going in my burger despite me being an East Coast guy.  ?

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That sounds pretty easy to make.  My wife is not a fan of spice so knowing my luck I'll do regular burgers for her and your style for me.  And yes habaneros will be going in my burger despite me being an East Coast guy.  ?

Same situation here. I think Kathy spent too much time in Alaska during her first marriage. Alaskans tend to view salt as an exotic spice. When I make chilli I make two different batches, Kathy's is more like tomato stew than chilli as I leave it completely devoid of spices and she still fusses that it is too hot to eat. I applaud your use of habaneros, folks in these parts tend to favor roast green chillies which I consider far too mild to be of any real use except for adding to scrambled eggs, and that's as much for presentation as it is for flavor. The Safeway here usually has habaneros at four for a buck, which I consider money well spent. Come to think of it, I have two portions of chilli in the freezer, I know what I'll be having for lunch...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I'd suggest the peanut butter sauce is probably more an Indonesian twist. Peanuts normally turn up chopped in Thai food.

But letting that slide, lime juice pretty much has to feature somewhere. Not sure I'd do the cheese.

Absolutely right about the peanut butter sauce being more accurately Indonesian than Thai, it's just far easier to type "Thai" than "Indonesian"; (yes, I am a lazy bastard). Oddly enough, I usually add a squeeze of lime juice, don't know why I forgot to mention it. The cheese is definitely optional, there have been a couple of times that I forgot to add it and the burgers were just fine without it. I think I add it more out of habit than actual necessity. 

Smoked 4 racks of ribs for the family yesterday. I just love sitting outside for hours, listening to music, smelling smoke and meat. I got the smoker as a wedding present last year and how things go, wasn’t able to use it until this year. This is my fourth time using it now and I absolutely love it. I have a lot to improve on and will need to make modifications to the smoker when I can afford to drop more money into it. But I look forward to keep doing it once or twice a month. 

This time I made 2 BBQ’s for it. One was a Pineapple Jalapeno (similar to a Spicy IPA one I’ve made in the past, but replace some of the OJ and the hoppy IPA with pineapple juice. I like the previous one better, but was still fun) and a Godfather (amaretto and scotch) one. Then for my momma I did the classic sweet bbq with brown sugar and honey and the fan favorite Salt and Pepper dry rub. 

Top grate I had the Sweet and the Pineapple Jalapeno & the sweet one. 3-2-less than 1, where I rebased and wrap midway. My timing was off, but roughly that. I don’t like doing the full hour after unwrapping. I’m not a fan of the fall off the bone style from over smoking. I want a nice tug. Bottom grate I had the Salt & Pepper and Godfather, which I let ride in the smoke and no wrapping. I lightly rebased The Godfather when I wrapped the top ones.

Good fun. I’m always bumping into thermometer issues. Cheap smoker so the one on didn’t work. Last time the one I bought which was working well broke. So got the same one on short notice and was being inconsistent. So I’m eventually gonna get a  nice one that I’ll drill into the side near the meats. But that a future project. Got good enough at eyeballing the ribs. Try to run temp between 220-250. Next time I might do all dry rubs and got high and fast. We’ll see what I do. Gonna get together with a friend at the end of the month. I do ribs and he does pulled porkbutt. 

• Like 1

The last few days have been unseasonably cold (for New Mexico, probably not the rest of the country), so when the wife was making a starbucks run I passed on my usual cold brew coffee with salted cold foam in favor of the carmel apple spice, since I was in the mood for hot apple cider. And I'm pretty much addicted at this point. The wife tried it and loved it too, so she got herself one today only she subbed the apple for peach juice and says it tastes peach cobbler.

• Like 1

Made something new the other night - grilled stuff portobello mushrooms.  Super easy, stuffed them with shredded Mexican cheese mix and imitation crab.  To cook: remove the stems, brush with olive oil and sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt on them.  Grill both sides until they start to get "done".  Flip the top of the cap down, add some chopped garlic or garlic powder, fill with cheese and crab meat.  Grill until cheese is melted.  Serve.

My family raved about these and basically begged me to make them again, even my wife who is NOT a fan of mushrooms or imitation crab.  Go figure.  They are very filling - mom & wife ate one each as their meal, brother and I each ate two and were very full.  

• Like 5

On 9/13/2020 at 4:56 AM, Tabe said:

Made something new the other night - grilled stuff portobello mushrooms.  Super easy, stuffed them with shredded Mexican cheese mix and imitation crab.  To cook: remove the stems, brush with olive oil and sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt on them.  Grill both sides until they start to get "done".  Flip the top of the cap down, add some chopped garlic or garlic powder, fill with cheese and crab meat.  Grill until cheese is melted.  Serve.

My family raved about these and basically begged me to make them again, even my wife who is NOT a fan of mushrooms or imitation crab.  Go figure.  They are very filling - mom & wife ate one each as their meal, brother and I each ate two and were very full.  

I did grilled portobello mushrooms a couple weeks ago and was shocked at how well it turned out.  Made it a burger and had a nice arugula salad to go with it.  My wife raved about it and I sense we'll be having these again soon.  I'm generally weird with imitation crab meat but might give it a try.  Though since we're in Maryland I might just spring for the real stuff instead, something about imitation always made me queasy.  Great idea though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of talking about food outside of the February Wrestling thread (and also the risk of bumping this thread)

Mexico, the land of Al Pastor, is all-in on pineapple pizza. Also, Hong Kong likes everything.

Hong Kong is all like, "Anything is fine, we just don't want Chinese!" Also, I can't stand ketchup in anything, but a huge section of Finns will absolutely insist on ketchup with their pasta.

there was a period of time when I sorta got tired of french fries/ketchup as a side because it was seemingly everywhere, even the dine-in places. But I didn't stick with sweet potato fries or anything like that, and when i'm at a Longhorn Steakhouse, I've had fries as a side for a steak.

Fry sauce is pretty neat though, even if it probably exists for people who think ketchup is too decadent.