DVDVR Message Board

YOUR ALL-NEW WRESTLING BOOK THREAD

OSJ

On 12/31/2017 at 12:41 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Thanks very much! Was fun to read your thoughts and recollections as you go through it. Of course, not looking to 'spoil' the content for anybody either, don't get me wrong, but I really enjoy seeing the on-the-go reaction of a reader because it wasn't written beginning to end, so that journey is fun to follow...

I finished it a few days ago. The last three or four chapters - needless to say - were very depressing, and also infuriating because...

Spoiler

Melanie Pillman did not come across as a good mother or person at all. I realize she suffered a great loss and trauma, but that's no excuse for being a drug addicted neglectful mother. In her interactions with Les Thatcher, she came across as greedy "trailer park trash" as the expression goes.

Of course, that is not a slight against the book at all - just an inevitability based on the person you were writing about and what happened to him.

Truly an outstanding book, Liam. Now that I've finished it, my original opinion still stands - this is one of the best wrestling books (and books in general) that I've read in many years. I got into a conversation on FB wondering who you could possibly write about next that would compare to someone as entertaining and enigmatic, controversial and complicated, as Brian Pillman was.

BTW, I came across Brian Pillman Jr./II on Twitter, and that was nice to see. https://twitter.com/FlyinBrianJr

On 1/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, C.S. said:

I finished it a few days ago. The last three or four chapters - needless to say - were very depressing, and also infuriating because...

Hide contents

Melanie Pillman did not come across as a good mother or person at all. I realize she suffered a great loss and trauma, but that's no excuse for being a drug addicted neglectful mother. In her interactions with Les Thatcher, she came across as greedy "trailer park trash" as the expression 

BTW, I came across Brian Pillman Jr./II on Twitter, and that was nice to see. https://twitter.com/FlyinBrianJr

Wow he looks a lot like his dad. 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, C.S. said:

Truly an outstanding book, Liam. Now that I've finished it, my original opinion still stands - this is one of the best wrestling books (and books in general) that I've read in many years. I got into a conversation on FB wondering who you could possibly write about next that would compare to someone as entertaining and enigmatic, controversial and complicated, as Brian Pillman was.

Thank you very much - it's greatly appreciated, and agree with you, Pillman is a tough act to follow based on being, in my opinion, one of the more unique personalities and stories to come along. Plus I think Brian's case has so many tie-ins to the nature of wrestling, an underlying theme in the book, that a lot of guys in isolation may not have...

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, Victator said:

I talk to both Pillman kids semi regularly and they are both great people and have legit excuses to be shitty but don't give into despair.  They are an inspiration to me. 

Yeah, it's really a credit to them both, and Linda as well, that they've turned out so well. Brittany especially has had to overcome a lot, but she hasn't let it change her the way it could. Brian's just hilarious.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just got Brian Pillman's book in the mail today. What perfect timing; a snow day where I've got nothing else to do.

Thank you very much, let me know what you think!

I looked up @Liam O'Rourke's Crazy Like a Fox again on Amazon, and I was shocked to find there were only four reviews. I honestly expected dozens by this point because it's so good. I'm not sure how much yet another five-star review can help, but I added my own anyway...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HKDBX5BIOSQK/

BTW, Amazon currently has the Kindle version of As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride on sale for $2. It's obviously not a wrestling book, per se, but I think it's a must-read for any wrestling fan because there are great Andre stories in it.

https://smile.amazon.com/As-You-Wish-Inconceivable-Princess-ebook/dp/B00IWTWOI2/

23 hours ago, C.S. said:

I looked up @Liam O'Rourke's Crazy Like a Fox again on Amazon, and I was shocked to find there were only four reviews. I honestly expected dozens by this point because it's so good. I'm not sure how much yet another five-star review can help, but I added my own anyway...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1HKDBX5BIOSQK/

I would imagine the lack of Kindle availability would lead to less reviews.  I know I'm waiting for the Kindle version before I buy it. 

I know the Pillman book is on my must read list, and I've read nothing but glowing reviews. That said, how's the new Dustin Rhodes book? I've heard similar reviews about it as well.

27 minutes ago, Zac_Fu said:

I know the Pillman book is on my must read list, and I've read nothing but glowing reviews. That said, how's the new Dustin Rhodes book? I've heard similar reviews about it as well.

Is it a new edition of his old book? I've only heard him mention the old one, also he does seem to mention it a lot for a 7 year old book. (Not that the story isn't still germane, of course)

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Is it a new edition of his old book? I've only heard him mention the old one, also he does seem to mention it a lot for a 7 year old book. (Not that the story isn't still germane, of course)

the-god-damn-germans-got-nothing-to-do-w

13 hours ago, Zac_Fu said:

I'm not aware of a new Dustin Rhodes book, but I wouldn't mind if he wrote a second one that's a lot beefier. "Cross Rhodes" was a disappointment at best - too much about his drug problems and "daddy issues," and not enough about wrestling.

Regal also covered his drug problems, but not at the expense of everything else. While Regal's book was somewhat uplifting, I found Dustin's downright depressing.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I'm not aware of a new Dustin Rhodes book, but I wouldn't mind if he wrote a second one that's a lot beefier. "Cross Rhodes" was a disappointment at best - too much about his drug problems and "daddy issues," and not enough about wrestling.

Regal also covered his drug problems, but not at the expense of everything else. While Regal's book was somewhat uplifting, I found Dustin's downright depressing.

Agreed with both posts about his book. Entertaining (maybe 'informative' would be a better word) if you're looking for information on his relationship with his father, or a lengthy history of his drug problems. I found that fairly interesting. It's a dry, but pretty quick, read. 

Otherwise, he doesn't cover much about his career. Hardly anything. You could probably get the same info in his career if you listened to the mentioned Prichard podcast and his recent appearance on the E&C podcast. 

You'd probably get way better info, since all the really interesting stuff about the Goldust creation was on the Prichard podcast and barely mentioned in the book.

I wish the book had you know, like more than 3 sentences on his WCW run that weren't about how shitty his life was.  Motherfucker I just wanted to read some Studd Stable stories not get all depressed

• Like 1

I'm only like 5 chapters in or so, but Liam's book is living up to the hype. Holy shit, the 4 or 5 pages of Pillman ribbing Bill Kazmaier and all the other Stampede ribs are insanely funny. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C.S. said:

I reallllly liked Regal's book. It was an entertaining read and he makes no apologies about anything. It was really a good read. I have a small amazon gift card and want to get a good wrestling book for my kindle app, so I'm digging into what might be out there and cheap. I got the Regal book for 2.99 which as a total steal.

Back in 07-08 I worked a shoot call center job for a dish provider.  Dustin called in. I immediately marked out and told him I was a huge fan. He was having problems with his dish and his dad and brother were over to watch a college ball game.  During the call Dustin mentioned being in talks to return to WWE (I believe this was around the time of a Cyber Sunday or Taboo Tuesday event)   Anyhow after fixing his issue he says to me "you got my number if you ever want to talk wrestling"    He wanted some deals on programming and offered merch in return. I didn't take any but gave him some HBO 3 mos deals. He called a few times and I had some voicemails saved from him but then his phone got shut off and it was the end.  Funny thing his wife/gf at the times name was Terril     he went from a Terri to a Terril. Very nice guy though.

• Like 5

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, Oyaji said:

I'm only like 5 chapters in or so, but Liam's book is living up to the hype. Holy shit, the 4 or 5 pages of Pillman ribbing Bill Kazmaier and all the other Stampede ribs are insanely funny. 

Just caught this - thank you very much! Hope you're enjoying it as you progress through :-)

Just a heads up, but I was on Wrestling Observer Radio https://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-radio/wor-liam-orourke-talks-his-book-life-brian-pillman-249756 with Meltzer and Alvarez last week talking about the Brian Pillman book if you want to know a bit more.

I'm near the end of the Pillman book and it has been every bit as amazing as advertised. It's just so sad to think that if that Humvee wreck never happens he probably ends up a gigantic star and a hall of famer, not to mention would probably still be alive today.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 7:19 AM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Just caught this - thank you very much! Hope you're enjoying it as you progress through :-)

Just a heads up, but I was on Wrestling Observer Radio https://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-radio/wor-liam-orourke-talks-his-book-life-brian-pillman-249756 with Meltzer and Alvarez last week talking about the Brian Pillman book if you want to know a bit more.

I have about 50 pages left. So awesome. So well-researched. 

The Kazmaier stories are great. The quotes from Shotgun Saturday Night are great. The entire process of and thought behind the "Loose Cannon" angle is really eye-opening. There's so much in here. 

Kudos for really doing a lot of research and releasing this. There's so much detail in here (laid out in a really entertaining fashion) that you really get a good perspective on what an unique individual Pillman was. It's really cool to read a lot about what made him so unique, and what made him stand out, both behind the scenes and in public. I definitely have a new appreciation for Pillman. 

After getting through that section, and the few sections after it, I can't help but wonder how great it would have been had Pillman not been involved in that auto accident—almost to the point to mild anger when thinking about what could have been for Pillman and for the entire wrestling landscape. 

• Like 1

In Ross' book he says he practically begged Pillman to stick with commentary and become that generation's Jesse Ventura. Imagine how different that would have made the Attitude Era with Pillman calling it instead of Lawler screaming about puppies

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, sabremike said:

I'm near the end of the Pillman book and it has been every bit as amazing as advertised. It's just so sad to think that if that Humvee wreck never happens he probably ends up a gigantic star and a hall of famer, not to mention would probably still be alive today.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, EricG said:

I have about 50 pages left. So awesome. So well-researched. 

The Kazmaier stories are great. The quotes from Shotgun Saturday Night are great. The entire process of and thought behind the "Loose Cannon" angle is really eye-opening. There's so much in here. 

Kudos for really doing a lot of research and releasing this. There's so much detail in here (laid out in a really entertaining fashion) that you really get a good perspective on what an unique individual Pillman was. It's really cool to read a lot about what made him so unique, and what made him stand out, both behind the scenes and in public. I definitely have a new appreciation for Pillman. 

After getting through that section, and the few sections after it, I can't help but wonder how great it would have been had Pillman not been involved in that auto accident—almost to the point to mild anger when thinking about what could have been for Pillman and for the entire wrestling landscape. 

Thank you both for the kind words, very much appreciated! And yeah, that common thought is pretty much impossible to ignore when you reflect on his life - the field was wide open for him.

As an aside, as I'd been asked about it a lot - the Pillman book is now also available on Kindle, for those who were holding out for that release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1