DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

All car commercials right now, offering 0% financing and no payments for a while, as people are dying and the economy goes to shit, are just pissing me off.  Predatory fuckwads.  I keep seeing this Jeep commercial with some inspirational "we're in this together" music and I just want to throw the tv out the window. 

• Like 3

Shit, most people that NEED a new car can't possibly afford one considering their jobs are probably cut. If you're lucky enough to work from home or are a doctor you probably don't have to worry about a late '90s Toyota in the parking lot giving up the ghost; you're just hoping it can get you to your delivery gig and back. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

All car commercials right now, offering 0% financing and no payments for a while, as people are dying and the economy goes to shit, are just pissing me off.  Predatory fuckwads.  I keep seeing this Jeep commercial with some inspirational "we're in this together" music and I just want to throw the tv out the window. 

Yeah, with people losing their jobs and the economy going to shit, the logical thing would be go assume more debt by getting a big ticket item.

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, most people that NEED a new car can't possibly afford one considering their jobs are probably cut.

What Curt said.  People that actually need cars are the ones that financing would turn down.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

On the other hand - if society completely collapses, your debt will mean nothing, and you'll have a car.

So then we're all like Mad Max roaming the wastes in search of gasoline and canned goods.

If there is going to be an apocalyptic future, I prefer the one from I Am Legend / The Omega Man where I get to drive in a phat muscle car with plenty of gas and live in a generator powered luxury brownstone in Brooklyn with an arsenal that rivals most National Guard bases.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:31 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Every time I see that I think of the Chappelle Show skit where he says "that crazy dancin makin my penis sof'" ? That might've actually been a whack at a prior Apple commercial. 

It was a parody of a car ad, Kia I think.

Similar to the car commercials, maybe try not promoting $250 earbuds during a week that 3.5 million people lost their jobs.

• Like 3

The people who do those Truvago commercials have some new HIV preventive drug they’re pushing and in the commercial it says at light speed “This drug has not been tested on individuals who were identified as female at birth.”

Such a sleazy way to try and not say “We have not tested this on women.” 

Just had a thought: if all these car companies and insurance companies and food companies have the money to film new commercials to pimp their wares to us in the event that we (shock, horror) forget to give them money, maybe they could give it to hospitals and food banks instead. 

Just a thought...

EDIT: And I know there are car companies, etc. helping out, it's just seeing all these commercials with voiceover and actors saying "we're still here" and to keep it together seems like such a waste of time/energy/cash

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'm already really tired all of these hastily-assembled stock footage "In these difficult times" commercials.

Goddamn right.  I get that it's nice to show "Hey, we're all in this together!"  But when I just want to be entertained I'd rather not see constant reminders.  I am though okay with fast food chains touting drive thru, carry out and delivery options but  that's about it.

Side note, it's also hard to feel like we're all in this together living in a country predicated upon the belief that, all language to the opposite aside, it's really every man for himself. My only hope for anything coming out of this crisis is that people learn to stop being so selfish and see that they need to depend on each other.

Okay, I'll stop now

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 10:52 AM, Robert C said:

The commercial with those miserable fuckers on their Peletons in the pre-dawn hours of Christmas morning strikes me as just as dystopian as the the woman who looks like her husband is gonna murder her then and there if the Peleton drill instructor calls her out for lagging one more time.

After two weeks of lockdown, I'm worried now.  I mocked Peleton for this back in December, when I should've been paying attention.  Those bastards knew what was coming.  They put it right there on our televisions for all of us to see.  A future where we're all contained in our individual pods, forced to wake in the predawn hours to get on our Peletons to provide power to the almighty Grid.  They fucking knew.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/1/2020 at 3:57 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Just had a thought: if all these car companies and insurance companies and food companies have the money to film new commercials to pimp their wares to us in the event that we (shock, horror) forget to give them money, maybe they could give it to hospitals and food banks instead. 

Just a thought...

EDIT: And I know there are car companies, etc. helping out, it's just seeing all these commercials with voiceover and actors saying "we're still here" and to keep it together seems like such a waste of time/energy/cash

On 4/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, Zimbra said:

I'm already really tired all of these hastily-assembled stock footage "In these difficult times" commercials.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Goddamn right.  I get that it's nice to show "Hey, we're all in this together!"  But when I just want to be entertained I'd rather not see constant reminders.  I am though okay with fast food chains touting drive thru, carry out and delivery options but  that's about it.

It's just so gross to consider that, while people are dying from a fucking pandemic, a bunch of management types and advertising execs held emergency meetings to figure out how to pivot (and you know those bullshit bingo experts said "pivot") their ads to more effectively sell you shiny bullshit "in these trying times." 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Especially when these times aren't really trying for them; they're deemed essential industries that will be bailed out by the govt. the second they whine about losing money, just like Wall Street. Gotta keep those job creators happy...

My hope for this whole thing is that somebody, anybody,  realizes that "the job creators" don't generate any kind of real wealth or worth at all and without the "little people," their companies are this close to dropping dead and needing bailouts.  This CEO shit is out of control.  But I'm just a dumb, hopeful liberal trying to see some positive in this hellscape. and there's next to zero chance of that happening.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:18 PM, Zimbra said:

I will never get tired of the one that announced that my dealership has given us six months of car payment forgiveness.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:19 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I never thought I'd see Dystopian Fantasy taken too far until I read that.

But it's not the cool Logan's Run dystopia where we're all twenty something hedonists living comfortably in a domed city.  It's the shitty Soylent Green one with rampant global warming, urban overcrowding, martial law, and litter all over the streets.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Just noticed that this shit has given Pizza Hut a further excuse to run that ad with the guy doing his Risky Business imitation to Bob Seger over and over and over again. 

In the immortal words of Keith Morris, "Where's the gun, here's my head"

Nice to see Curtis Armstrong cashing a check, tho'

The amount of ads from faceless corporate narrators airing new Covid themed ads about how they're there for us or their employees or whatever when you know damn well they mostly aren't makes me want to rip a cable line out of the ground.

• Like 1