DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

Bringing this back because I need it.

We

Need

it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rub_G-HiYA

We finally get a glimpse inside what might be hot Wendy's ladie's awesome (I'm assuming Seattle) brownstone.

She has:

1) a mini Foosball table

2) a bust of Charles Dance under her black & white photography of lawn furniture (avant-garde!!!!)

3) an inordinate number of male friends who wear glasses and long-strapped carryalls

4) the best collection of Cardigan's outside of Judd Hirsch

5) My heart forever and ever and ever

• Like 3

The AT&T commercial where the little girl talks about turning her brother into a puppy bothers me.  The girl is so nonchalant in casting a spell on her unsuspecting sibling, thus turning him into some carnival side show and presenting him to her class for show and tell.  It just feels wrong, and how does it tie into selling phone service anyway?  I don't like it.

• Like 1

The AT&T commercial where the little girl talks about turning her brother into a puppy bothers me.  The girl is so nonchalant in casting a spell on her unsuspecting sibling, thus turning him into some carnival side show and presenting him to her class for show and tell.  It just feels wrong, and how does it tie into selling phone service anyway?  I don't like it.

Those are officially still the worst.  I posted screeds on them on the old board.  In short:

Adult guy = AT&T

Children = you, customers

AT&T talks to you, customers, like children, asking simple questions like "Which is better?  Good or better?"  in order to make you somehow associate AT&T with simple, common sense axioms and to place a blind child-like faith in this corporation.

The tagline, "It's not complicated" is a lie.  Providing wireless service across the earth to millions of people is, in fact, complicated.  That is why AT&T sucks so badly at it.  Because it is complicated.  It is not child's play.  But apparently, advertising is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I loathe the 2 guys from the Sonic commercials. Especially the gap toothed one. I want to beat him to death with a shovel.

• Like 1

When did we as a fast food nation decide that the Pretzel Bun needed to be introduced to the world?

When we decided that it tasted fucking amazing

• Like 5

...I'll be the one person to admit to loving that commercial, if only for the shocked "oh man, that is brilliant" face the other little girl gives.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC60L6DFMCM

What IN THE HOLIEST OF FUCKS is this creature supposed to be?  Man?  Caveman? cyborg-Hipster-prototype?  Treehugger?  Tech Startup CEO? Tomorrow-person?  Homeless Insane Cult Leader?

Let's take stock:  He is wearing a hoodie inside a sportcoat (with a pocket square that appears to double as a bandana).  Over a dress shirt and tie, but the tie is both overly wide and comically short and also hanging loose around his neck.  He is also wearing suspenders but they are HANGING DOWN AT HIS WAIST!!!!!  And he insists on answering questions asked of him by bystanders SPEAKING ENGLISH by addressing them in rudimentary phrases of whatever-the-fuck language he decides they rightfully belong to based on skin color or eye shape.  So he's super racist too, even though he seems to live on a street that might best be called "Little pan-asiatic-Mediterrania."

He is, it seems, an amalgam of Ted Kascynski, Will Ferrell playing Ted Kascynski, Harpo Marx, Goa Gil, That guy who banged your girlfriend when she took that creative writing class at community college, a cirque du soleil unicyclist, Jesus, A guy playing Jesus in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, a dude they pulled right off the set from a Geico Caveman commercial, John Walker Lindh doing and impression of Brian Wilson (either the pitcher or the musician), any random guy working on the set of CADDYSHACK, That dude from Fleet Foxes, Lao-Tzu, Charles Manson as portrayed by Eric Stoltz, and Bill Hader.

I mean, fuck.

• Like 2

For all the hate the AT&T "It's Not Complicated" campaign gets, I love the one where he's asking the kids for the biggest number they can think of.

The joy on the face of the "what about infinity TIMES infinity?" girl and the "OH SNAP!" reactions from a couple of the other kids always makes me laugh.

There is this Best Buy commercial where they show "Anne" graduating from college, and then mention how she got a "freelance" job, and to succeed she went out and bought a bunch of Samsung electronics - tablet, phone, etc.

What recent college graduate working a freelance job can afford to buy thousands of dollars worth of Samsung stuff? 

• Like 2

This year's commercial for Shark Week is amazing.

Snuffy!!!!!!

Not this guy:

Posted Image

Note:  Googling Snuffy Smith and then seeing Snuffy Smith made me suddenly smell my grandparents old house in East St. Louis.  Yes...smell it...like musty and grandparenty.  One of the things that always freaked me out is that they had a weird newspaper there with all the worst comics and none of the ones from the regular Post Dispatch.  It was like Bizarro comics page...all the really old ones like Heathcliff instead of Garfield and Frank & Earnest and Gasoline Alley...FUCKING GASOLINE ALLEY!!!!!

I'd read the comics there, and I'd have to be like, "Mom, what are war bonds and where do we get them?  Belvedere says we need to buy them to stop the Huns!"

And she'd be like "Don't read the newspaper when we're over here.  Here, play with these hair nets.  Pretend they're space amoebas or something."

• Like 1

People hate the AT&T 'It's not complicated' commercials?!

They are like the one commercial everyone in my family/friends agree are funny.  The guy is funny, the kids are funny.

Those 'Wendy's' commercials are the friggin' worst.  The one where she's randomly hanging out near a baseball diamond and starts talking to the kid and the dad looks at her like "Uh, can you go find your own child?  I'll parent her myself." was the dirt-worst.