DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

I'm sure Sir Mix-A-Lot is like "KACHING!"

I'm weird on that. I like to see dudes get paid. Why not? I dunno if MIx-A-Lot could use the bucks (who couldn't?) but some people who have music used in commercials can use the bucks.

Kind of a semi-related deal, but people I know whined a few years ago over that Kid Rock song that sampled "Werewolves of London," and I'm like "That's a HYOOOOOOGE hit and Zevon's family gets 33.3 percent of the publishing. That's gotta be nice for them."

The two new GoDaddy ads both seem like the sort of thing that can only be explained by a "Vince McMahon sent Vince Russo to WCW because he knew he'd kill it" kind of conspiracy theory. There's no other explanation for a family of overweight gingers making creepy faces and pelvic thrusting, or telling elderly people in bed to STICK IT.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting sick of Geiko's "Everybody knows that" commercial series. The first couple were slightly amusing but now they're just painfully unfunny. And the Kenny Rogers one is downright frightening.

I just seen that Febreeze commercial with the cat couch, and it reminded me of the first time that I seen it. My initial thought was, damn, are you suggesting that your sister's house smells like pussy? That's just harsh!

Yeah my mind gets a bit twisted sometimes. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had to resurrect this thread after seeing the new commercials for Guinness. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx0MRawkrj4

I guess they're going after people who typically only drink Bud and its ilk with this type of America Fuck Yeah jingositic glurge.  "I'd never drink none of them foreign beers but I guess Guinness is okay since they Support Our Troops !"  Fucking barf. 

Appreciating our brave men and women fighting overseas is fine regardless of how you feel about whatever conflict we're involved in today.  Using them in pull-at-your-heartstrings spots like this to sell a product to "patriots" is an exploitative load of shit.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm not liking what Guinness has been doing of late, either.  I know there are tons of stouts better than Guinness out there so don't get all hipster craft beer guy on me, but Guinness is a quality stout that has a certain name value.

There was a conscious decision in the last few years with the Guinness black and now blonde crap to dilute the brand and get more market share of non-stout stuff.  Basically Guinness decided to do a Porsche and chase the bucks while losing the cachet of their name (Porsche is making some seriously ugly utilitarian vechicles now and have lost some of the specialness of their name). 

I think long term Guinness should have done what Ferrari does, if I keep the auto analogy.  We do this one thing and it's special. 

I'm absolutely a craft beer guy but I do like Guinness, especially on draft.  It's definitely a go-to when I'm at a bar that has a limited selection.  I read a review of their "Blonde" (because calling it a "pale lager" isn't as sexy) and it's apparently not good.  Great analogy with Porsche vs Ferrari.

I didn't even think about their new bland yellow beer but it's pretty obvious this and their recent advertising show they're aiming at the crowd who only learn about their beer options from football game adverts.  Can't wait for Guinness commercials with cowboys, pickup trucks and John Mellencamp songs.

I have some Australian friends and I'm definitely going to ask them about this add. I suspect they shrugged it off with what I've come to know as the traditional Aussie gusto not to let the government bother them too much.

And yeah, lovely country, great people, but Jesus the animal population is a science fiction movie. There are advantages to living far enough north that I don't have to deal with reptiles and poisonous tarantulas due to climate.

This is an Australian ad. Explosives Testing Site is code for (E)xterminating (T)arantulas & (S)corpions.

EDIT: Have you ever seen the size of those things down under?

Tarantulas aren't that bad. Now, an Sydney funnel-web spider though? Ain't gonna fuck with those lil aggressive hellbeasts.

• 2 months later...

So how many of you here have been victimized and bullied by Rob Lowe so far during his reign of terror?

Me?  I'm pretty hairy.  My arms are a bit skinny.  I can be paranoid.  And, YEAH I DON'T PEE WELL IN PUBLIC OKAY!

Jesus, dude, back the fuck off and let me my life without your shimmering star-judgment.  We're all just trying to do the best we can with what we're born with.  So feel free to not helicopter into my life to point and laugh at me before slicing some boutique cheeses with your cheek bones.

Asshole.

• Like 1