DVDVR Message Board

NXT FEB 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 2/2/2017 at 8:48 PM, odessasteps said:

They had a discussion on austins pod this week with keller wondering how kayfabe peoples social media should/can be. 

(Based on charlotte wishing sasha happy birthday on twitter)

I wonder how many wrestlers have Facebook/Twitter profiles under fake names so they can have "normal online lives."

5 hours ago, jstout said:

I wonder how many wrestlers have Facebook/Twitter profiles under fake names so they can have "normal online lives."

Do you know how you can have a "normal online life?"  Do your social media shit for your fans and then fucking talk to your actual friends in person or on the phone in private like most of us non-narcissistic people does.  It's not hard. Pretty sure Charlotte has Sasha's personal number.  Clearly that was done on purpose.  

Per WON

NXT referee Danilo Anfibio was given a sendoff at last night's house show in St. Augustine, Florida as he moves up to the SmackDown roster.

For those that need the visual reference

1ZJux0Sn.jpg

Meltzer did a full breakdown of the latest tryout

There were 40 wrestlers or athletes from other sports brought to Orlando for tryouts this past week both for roster spots as well as potential spots in the upcoming women’s tournament. Names the WWE promoted included Isaiah Stanback, 32, the starting quarterback at the University of Washington in 2005 and 2006, who was a fourth round draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys in 2007. He was listed at 6-foot-2 and 228 pounds as a football player. He played in 18 regular season games in an NFL career from 2007 to 2012, where he mostly played wide receiver and tight end. The WWE pushed that he was a former Super Bowl champion, which was a stretch. He was on the practice squad during the 2011 season with the New York Giants, who won the 2012 Super Bowl, but was never on the actual active roster of the team. He played two games with the Jacksonville Jaguars during the 2012 season and was cut prior to the 2013 season. Terron Beckham, the cousin of New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., is an incredible athlete that we wrote about when he made noises about wanting to be a pro wrestler, as his strength and speed were off the charts and he had a freaky physique to go with it. Another name listed is Seini Draughn, 34, who was Lei’d Tapa in TNA as well as in Rizin where she fought Gabi Garcia on the December 31, 2015 show at the Saitama Super Arena. Also mentioned were Lance Anoa’i, 24, the son of Samu Anoa’i and grandson of Afa, who has been wrestling about six years and did a WWE squash match in 2015 and has worked as an extra; Lindsay Duncan (Nicole Matthews), 30, an 11-year veteran who has worked all over the world and is a former Shimmer champion; Eduard Soghomonyan, 26, who was the Greco-Roman representative of Brazil in the 265 pound weight class in the 2016 Olympics. He was eliminated in the first round of that competition. He was born in Armenia; Katsiaryna Kavaleva, a 6-foot-5 inch female kickboxer from Belarus who has trained with the former Blackzillains team in Florida, the problem with her is she even makes Nia Jax, Tamina Snuka and Charlotte look small and will make the rest of the crew look ridiculous; Spencer Charette (Northeast Wrestling’s Wrecking Bell Legursky), who weighed in at 410 pounds; and Lakeem Bradberry, a 375-pound powerlifter. Bradberry competed last year in the Western North York championships at 383.5 pounds, doing a 671 pound squat, a 457 pound bench press and 693 pound dead lift and has wrestled under the name Roscoe Black. Squared Circle Sirens listed several of the women, including Stephanie Rowe is a bikini figures competitor, who works as a bartender and is the Event Coordinator for Metabolic Nutrition. Reka Rene is an actress from Hungary who has done bodybuilding and martial arts and won the 2012 World Cup fitness model who then went into acting. Anna Theresa Treppiedi was the 2016 Ms. New York beauty pageant winner. Renee Michelle has been wrestling in indies, notably MCW, for a few years and appeared on several WWE television shows as one of the Rosebuds. She’s also wrestled in Japan. Hyaneyoung is a trainee of Booker T’s school in Houston. Miranda Salinas is another Booker T student from Houston, who had worked WWE TV as a Rosebud

Other women at the camp were Ashley Kaitwasser (28, the winner of the bikini Olympia in 2013, 2014 and 2015, who has been on the cover of tons of magazines), Barbi Hayden (26, real name Callee Wilkerson, a former NWA women’s champion), Courtney Wicks (29, a former Division I sprinter), Jeanette Davila (25, a former fitness model and bikini contest competitor and actress), Kennadi Brink (real name Jessicka Heisder, 25, who ROH was using as one of its regular women wrestlers on the Woman of Honor segments), Lacey Lane, Lindsay Snow (29, a model trained by Jay Lethal who also does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and catch wrestling), and Valia Aye. Other men at the camp were Ben Giuguli, Brandon Tolle (a referee who works for Evolve), Brian Bukowsk, Chad West, Earl Mitchel, James Riley, Karl Fredericks (a Northern California independent wrestler), Kyle Francotti (a muscular 248-pound MMA fighter from Alberta who never fought pro but was 5-3 as an amateur), Louis Nzegwu (27, a 6-foot-4, 260 pound former University of Wisconsin lineman, who had a few NFL tryouts but never made a team), Luke Bennett, Mickey Moreno (an independent referee), Mike Orlando, Ricky Starks (a Texas independent wrestler who once did a TV job for Ryback when he was doing the gimmick of destroying people and has done matches for Evolve and ROH), Sammy Guevara (a 23-year-old Texas independent wrestler who is pushed in WrestleCircus and is said to be very good), Teddy Stigma (a Florida-based independent wrestler with a good physique who has been around since 2006), Tigre Imperial and Trevor Steele

Gao Lei, Gu Guangming, Cheng Yuxland and Wang Xiaolong from China just started their training in Orlando this past week. Three others from that same signing started a month ago, and two others from China, Tian Bing and HoHo Lun (who is actually from Hong Kong) have been around for a few months and have wrestled on a number of NXT events

The only one I recall seeing live is Renee Michelle.  She's incredibly attractive but I don't remember her wrestling being anything special.  Last time seeing her last year she didn't seem all that better than when I first saw her however long ago in MCW.  But we'll see how she does.

I'm sensing they're going to sign Terron Beckham just so they can say they signed Odell's cousin.  That's bound to get some sort of media attention when the guy is on TV.

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Here's one minute of crappy fancam footage that'll make you hate the world:

Thankfully, I wasn't near them at the show. I only recorded some of the entrances: DIY, Dillinger, Asuka, Roode, Hero, and Nakamura.

I've been binge watching the latest Takeover events and one thing that really caught my attention in a wrong way was the "Guys Trade Strikes (mostly elbows) In The Middle Of The Ring" spot. It happened like every damn match, from Tye Dillinger's curtain jerk job to the Joe vs Balor/Nakamura main events, even in Asuka's matches.

Am I crazy?

NXT Financials - recap taken from WON

There were 189 NXT shows which averaged 995 fans paid per event and $37,133. Obviously the Florida shows were much lower than the outside of Florida shows, with the Takeover shows on location greatly increasing the overall average. In 2015, where a far higher percentage of the shows were in Florida, there were 120 events, which averaged 771 paid and $28,297.

NXT events in 2016 generated $6.98 million in revenue. It’s impossible from the material put out to figure out the cost of touring for NXT events but Performance Center expenses, which are believed to include the contracts for NXT talent, was less than $20.4 million (that figure includes all NXT costs plus costs of talent appearances), up from $17.8 million in 2015 and $17.9 million in 2014.

In the OVW days, those expenses, including talent expenses, were about $1.3 million and their list of talent turned out included Batista, John Cena, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar, Shelton Benjamin, Beth Phoenix, Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison and Bobby Lashley.

But it’s a different era. From comparing results of how quickly people improve, it appears to me that smaller training classes are superior to improvement, as is the ability to have more actual match time before fans working with more experienced guys. Because there are so many people training there, a lot of guys aren’t getting the match time, and even when they do, in most cases they are working with each other. If you look historically at the places that developed top stars in the territorial days, they were places where everyone worked with everyone, so newcomers would be in the ring with veterans six nights a week in front of crowds. Perhaps the implementation of more satellite territories over the next few years will recreate that type of system. Besides, the company is healthy, and is getting healthier, and in the long run, the training center and increased number of NXT house shows, whether it’s a money loser or not on the corporate bottom line, will be looked at as a huge positive.

Just now, Matt D said:

My big takeaway from that is that it's absolutely insane Goldust isn't working NXT shows.

I've had this discussion with one of my friends.  Why don't they let the lowercard guys drop down and try to find themselves in NXT?  Curtis Axel, Fandango(I honestly think he could get over if he didn't have such a one dimensional gimmick), Goldust, R-Truth, and probably 5-6 other guys could drop down work on their character and actually help get guys over.