DVDVR Message Board

NXT FEB 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Tonight's TV should be what was taped pre-Takeover (spoilers in that other thread)

They are also taping TV at Full Sail tonight so I will insert my usual warning that the WWE themselves will spoil the shit out of debuts, etc...

Awesome video. During his indy days, it was obvious Sterling James Keenan was more than competent on the mic. I don't think anybody would have guessed at some point that he'd be arguably the best announcer WWE has. I think announcing is what he was best suited for. There was nothing wrong with his wrestling, but he didn't really stand out from the rest. I will never get tired of him dropping the Pantera reference during Braun matches.

The only thing missing on RAW is Eva Marie (and yes I realize she's on Smackdown and probably never coming back). Corey's love for Eva Marie was the best thing in NXT, plus it would give him even more reason to berate Byron on a weekly basis.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Awesome video. During his indy days, it was obvious Sterling James Keenan was more than competent on the mic. I don't think anybody would have guessed at some point that he'd be arguably the best announcer WWE has. I think announcing is what he was best suited for. There was nothing wrong with his wrestling, but he didn't really stand out from the rest. I will never get tired of him dropping the Pantera reference during Braun matches.

I would never have thought Corey would elevate himself so high after having to retire from the ring.

Heck, I would say that the neck injury was a godsend and he found his true calling; I daresay he would never have been as high profile in ring, let alone as charismatic.

Corey Graves is a WWE success story rivaling that of the Shield and the Wyatts.

• Like 4

That was a fantastic video, add in his segments on the 30 for 30 special and you can tell he's a really awesome guy.  I'm really happy for his success in announcing and in a just world he'd win announcer of the year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Welp, there goes another big monster lady coming off like a really nice down to earth gal.

And will they be in the tourney?

They had a discussion on austins pod this week with keller wondering how kayfabe peoples social media should/can be. 

(Based on charlotte wishing sasha happy birthday on twitter)

Has she improved much int he last few years? I recall thinking she always looked kind of sloppy and nowhere near as good as her partner Portia Perez so I can't really say I'm hoping she gets picked up even for the women's tournament.

She works the local indie and is good. Decidedly better than the majority of women WWE employs. While not perfect she fits in with their recent hiring of experienced independent workers, she can work both heel and baby, and she's a pretty good promo. Apparently a lot of the locker room want her signed too, going back to her days in Shimmer. Most of the women here in Vancouver are pretty green so she has to guide them and she does a good job of it. That would be a useful skill in NXT. 

My only complaint with her was she was often working against big men and some of her offense wasn't the most believable. But that won't be an issue as they've pushed a lot of women with weaker looking stuff into high positions.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is also a report that Lei'd Tapa is going to the tryout too

Which is... something

Yeah - she tried out today, along with ECCW's Nicole Matthews. They had a 6'5 female Belarusian kickboxer try out as well.

Samu's kid was there along with former Superbowl Champion with the New York Fucking Football Giants Isaiah Stanback and Odell Beckham's cousin.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/2017-wwe-tryouts-terron-beckham-lei-d-tapa

God Bless wrestling

ISAIAH STANBACK - MEMBER OF THE 2012 GIANTS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!!!!

Yeah either in training camp or the practice squad because he didn't play a down in the NFL since 2009

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

God Bless wrestling

ISAIAH STANBACK - MEMBER OF THE 2012 GIANTS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!!!!

Yeah either in training camp or the practice squad because he didn't play a down in the NFL since 2009

He was on their practice squad that year.

Jacksonville signed him late in the season the following year, but didn't use him and released him during training camp the following season.

I have no idea why i know any of this.