DVDVR Message Board

ELIMINATION CHAMBER 2017 (SDL PPV)

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I was pondering this last night but was that the first EC were it wasn't Falls Count Anywhere? (Since JBL specifically said you had to be pinned in the ring)

The EC matches before 2012 had a stip where falls and tapouts counted on the floor or in the ring and there was no DQ.  After that, the No DQ rule still applied, but any falls or tapouts had to happen in the ring.

So the new chamber has thick padding outside the ring instead of steel grates? That looked and sounded like shit. I feel kinda bad for complaining about making wrestling safer, but if you're going to those lengths, it might just be time to retire the gimmick. Leave it to AJ to find ways to still get some dangerous bumps in, though.

It was good to see Becky back in the ring with someone that can work up to her level. The other two women's matches were disjointed and botchy. I liked the subtle setup to the proposed Mania mixed tag with Nikki knocking over Maryse in the backstage brawl.

Orton/Harper was solid. The turmoil was eye-rollingly predictable and didn't help anyone. That handicap match was counter-productive for everyone involved.

Overall, an ok show, but the SD roster just isn't made to go 3 hours, especially when you put 90% of the good workers in one match.

• Like 1

It's really sad that American Alpha aren't over - I'd suggest they go heel, but I'm not even sure that's even the way to go with The Revival presumably coming in. I'd actually have them drop the belts at Mania to Slater/Rhyno (it can be a 4 way if you want), and then go back to NXT to settle unfinished business with the AoP. Then try again on RAW.

I mean maybe they'll do something with Angle I guess, but I'm not sure I'd waste Kurt on them right now.

Orton definitely needed to go over to leave open the possibility that he loses at Mania, which of course he should (and he might, not sure I see him remaining on Smackdown anyway). It's hard to see Harper retaining any momentum at the moment anyway, best case scenario he ends up in a ladder match clusterfuck at Mania (though I really kind of hope they don't run that match tbh, Mania doesn't need it).

Otunga was the dirt fucking worst last night

Especially when he kept trying to claim Mickie James hadn't wrestled in 7 years

It got to the point where JBL (being the voice of Vince) yelled at him that she had been wrestling

• Like 3

Bray would make a fabulous dark cult leader if they would have at any point made him that, and Randy Orton just bores me to death.

So in this case, I see where the WWE is going and I don't begrudge them at all for doing it but it just is not for me in any way.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

So in this case, I see where the WWE is going and I don't begrudge them at all for doing it but it just is not for me in any way.

This, though for different reasons.  I was a big Orton fan through 2007 or so.  He makes for a pretty good heel.  Since 2007, he's mostly been a babyface and seems bored out of his mind.

I've never had any interest in Bray.  Average in the ring and the wacky character and promos don't do it for me.  I was never a fan of the Undertaker gimmick either.  Bray generally gets good reactions and stays over despite creative doing very little with him, so it makes sense to go down this path, but Bray-Orton as SD's top feud for the next two months makes me wonder if I'd miss SDL if I stopped watching.  At best. I'll be doing a lot of fast-forwarding.  Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse doesn't hold much appeal for me either, even though I like everyone involved.  Since it might be Nikki's swan song/engagement night, I'm assuming Cenabella will squash Mizryse.  That leaves AJ and Becky to get into feuds that really interest me.  And Becky probably won't be on the card unless it's in a multi-woman tag match.  Ugh.

Right now, WrestleMania's not shaping up to be worth $9.99 to me.

7 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Today I learned I am much higher on a WWE show then everyone else here, which means the world is ending.

Orton/Harper was great. The Elimination Chamber is in the discussion for the best they've ever done. Harper felt like he gained a lot of momentum even in defeat. Bray Wyatt won the big one and it felt like a big deal. AJ was awesome. The womens stuff, save Nikki/Nattie, was pretty fun.

But apparently this is a skippable show? Whatever.

I don't know about the chamber. Like, the action seemed pretty contained,no pun intended, compared to the best Chamber matches. Sure, AJ was great in it, but they really did not emphasize that it was a multi-man match and it focused a lot on 2 men in the ring which I get, you want the audience to focus on the most important aspect, but having guys knocked out for minutes at a time just watching and waiting for their spot ruined it for me. John Cena was out for essentially the whole match after AJ knocked him off the cage. Like when Bray entered, they still had multi-man spots, but after that, it literally became a series of of one on one matches which is a shame because AJ seems to understand the chaotic nature of Triple Threat matches(he seems to thrive in them).

I don't know. I could be expecting too much because I love the Aztec Warfare matches on Lucha Underground, but this match was kind of subpar. I am okay with the result and hope Bray goes over Orton.

• Like 1

I heard talk that they were considering a SmackDown Womens Championship Ladder Match at Mania. If they follow through with that which I think they should. I could see Alexa walk into Mania the Champion with Naomi, the hometown girl walking out of Mania with the title. But losing it before the next SmackDown PPV.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

husky-harris4.jpg

20170212_EC_P_bray3--7137c52fd5c9bce96f8

What a difference/change.

"Husky Harris was just a vessel."

I'm disappointed at the lack of "You de-serve it!" chants received.  Some cult members you turned out to be, Phoenix.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sin Carne said:

It's really sad that American Alpha aren't over - I'd suggest they go heel, but I'm not even sure that's even the way to go with The Revival presumably coming in. I'd actually have them drop the belts at Mania to Slater/Rhyno (it can be a 4 way if you want), and then go back to NXT to settle unfinished business with the AoP. Then try again on RAW.

I mean maybe they'll do something with Angle I guess, but I'm not sure I'd waste Kurt on them right now.

Orton definitely needed to go over to leave open the possibility that he loses at Mania, which of course he should (and he might, not sure I see him remaining on Smackdown anyway). It's hard to see Harper retaining any momentum at the moment anyway, best case scenario he ends up in a ladder match clusterfuck at Mania (though I really kind of hope they don't run that match tbh, Mania doesn't need it).

They might do better as singles- Gable at least would be an instant star in the cruisers, and Jordan would do fine for himself as a single.

11 hours ago, JCM said:

I think most people were well aware of how good Hart, Steamboat, and Savage were while they were active.

Smart fans certainly were, most casuals were still enamored of a certain orange goblin.