DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The rumble itself was pretty good (best I can remember for a while actually) up until #25 or so.  I kept hoping Joe was going to debut but no big surprises.  For a while I thought Corbin was going to eliminate Taker and we'd get Taker/Corbin at Mania which wouldn't be terrible.  Strowman going out the way he did was also kind of surprising.  Orton winning is complete shit.  Of course they put Goldberg, Taker, and Brock in at the last five while all the full timers do all the work beforehand.

The undercard was pretty solid.  AJ/Cena was awesome and probably an MOTYC.  Swan/Neville was also very good.  I'm guessing they're saving Charlottes big ppv loss for mania.  This match here with Bayley was solid.  Owens/Reigns was better than I'd been expecting.

Good show aside from that shit rumble ending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

Surprised to read everyone disliking the Rumble match itself. I thought it was great.

The first 1/3 was real good.

Then it became everyone lay around until we get the big names in

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

How did Reigns even get the #30 slot?  I don't want to hear no "it's wrestling, you're not supposed to think about it"  bullshit either. 

How the fuck was he even in the match?

I don't mind them saying "Oh the losers of the title matches are big stars so they get spots" so long as they give BOTH guys spots. AJ not getting a spot while Roman does is just dumb.

They did nothing with Lawler/Dolph/JBL.

NXT now looks dumb for not booking Joe for the last month while Dillinger pulls double duty this weekend.

I just... ugh.

• Like 2

I thought this was literally the best booked Rumble in years most of the way.  And then Roman came out.  And then the final three happened.  

How is that not a Roman heel turn?  He gets a title match earlier in the show but he has so little faith that he'll actually win that he enters the Rumble too?  (I guess they can use the excuse that Rollins lost his spot so Roman got it.)

Just now, RIPPA said:

Poor poor American Alpha - clearly the SDL tag titles mean nothing

Dang, I even forgot they were the champs. Sucks they didn't even get a spot in the Rumble.

Whole Strowman things makes no sense.

Doesn't get a program now with Roman as he's moved on to Taker fifteen minutes later.
Gets eliminated out of nowhere by Baron Corbin.
Why make him look like a monster if he's not going to do anything?

Unless we're getting a Godzilla/Mothra showdown with Corbin at Mania I guess? Or are they just killing time for another battle royal?

Overall I think this was a good PPV (I didn't catch the pre-show I'll probably watch the matches in a sec). But I was racking my brain about who would come in at 30 then when Roman's music hit I was shocked and not in a good way. And I actually like Roman.

I'm interested to see where Bailey/Charlotte goes since that was a clean victory. But we have another PPV to go.

• Like 1

People dislike the Rumble match because for 20 minutes it was light pitter patter to allow the ring to fill up for everyone to then take naps for Brock and Goldberg, and to then take really bad looking eliminations from Undertaker. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ramo2653 said:

Overall I think this was a good PPV (I didn't catch the pre-show I'll probably watch the matches in a sec). But I was racking my brain about who would come in at 30 then when Roman's music hit I was shocked and not in a good way. And I actually like Roman.

I'm interested to see where Bailey/Charlotte goes since that was a clean victory. But we have another PPV to go.

I don't think it goes anywhere. It was a pretty emphatic win for Charlotte. I don't think Vince is as high on Bayley as the IWC. He probably sees her as the female Eugene.

Only person I can see taking the belt off Charlotte is Nia Jax.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

Whole Strowman things makes no sense.

Doesn't get a program now with Roman as he's moved on to Taker fifteen minutes later.
Gets eliminated out of nowhere by Baron Corbin.
Why make him look like a monster if he's not going to do anything?

Unless we're getting a Godzilla/Mothra showdown with Corbin at Mania I guess? Or are they just killing time for another battle royal?

Roman will mow through Braun at Fastlane and then call out The Undertaker.

• Like 1

They'll obviously tease Orton Vs. Cena with the history and all.  They'll probably pull the trigger on Bray Vs. Orton instead.  

Yeah, the Rumble ending was a lot guys destroying themselves for Taker and Goldberg spots,, but you knew that heading in.  I was cool with Orton winning although I think they could do the same storyline with Bray winning.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

It was good until it got messy with illogical crap.  Why didn't Roman come out and fuck with Braun? Why was Roman in the actual match? etc..

Yeah, the most logical idea was Reigns not being in the match and interfering in someway to get Strowman eliminated as payback.

I guess the Strowman vs. Reigns feud will take a back seat for the most part and they will probably have a match or two on RAW with Taker costing Reigns to setup their match at WM.