DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 23: Shevchenko vs. Peña (1/28/2017) - Denver, CO (Pepsi Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_on_FOX_Denver_Poster.jpg?1482479394

UFC on Fox 23: Shevchenko vs. Peña 
January 28, 2016
Denver, CO (Pepsi Center)

Valentina Shevchenko (134.5) vs. Julianna Peña (135) - Shevchenko, SUB (armbar), R2 (4:29)
Donald Cerrone (171) vs. Jorge Masvidal (171) - Masvidal, TKO (punches), R2 (1:00)
Andrei Arlovski (246) vs. Francis Ngannou (253.6) - Ngannou, TKO (punches), R1 (1:32)
Alex Caceres (145) vs. Jason Knight (145.5) - Knight, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:21)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Nate Marquardt (185.5) vs. Sam Alvey (185.5) - Alvey, DEC (unanimous)
Raphael Assunção (135.5) vs. Aljamain Sterling (136) - Assunção, DEC (split)
Bobby Nash (171) vs. Jingliang Li (170.5) - Li, KO (punches), R2 (4:45)
Luis Henrique da Silva (206) vs. Jordan Johnson (205) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Eric Spicely (186) vs. Alessio Di Chirico (185.5) - Spicely, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (2:14)
Marcos Rogério de Lima (209.5)* vs. Jeremy Kimball (204) - Lima, TKO (punches), R1 (2:27)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Alexandre Pantoja (126) vs. Eric Shelton (126) - Pantoja, DEC (split)
Jason Gonzalez (156) vs. J.C. Cottrell (156) - Gonzalez, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (3:54)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Jason Knight
Performance of the Night: Francis Ngannou
Performance of the Night: Jorge Masvidal
Performance of the Night: Valentina Shevchenko

Attendance: 13,233
Gate: $1.02 million
Rating: 2.18 million viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Yancy Medeiros vs. Jingliang Li - Injury to Medeiros
Hector Lombard vs. Brad Tavares - Bout Nixed
Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. John Phillips - Injury to Phillips 

One of y'all remind me to DVR this...damn social life.  How did Schevchenko vs. Pena get the main event over Cerrone vs. Masvidal?  Cowboy is the closest thing to a draw on this card, and that fight needs to be 5 rounds.  WAR MASVIDAL!

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:14 AM, supremebve said:

One of y'all remind me to DVR this...damn social life.  How did Schevchenko vs. Pena get the main event over Cerrone vs. Masvidal?  Cowboy is the closest thing to a draw on this card, and that fight needs to be 5 rounds.  WAR MASVIDAL!

Hey you should DVR this.

These referees are just... got damn. Missed groin shot. The ref in the Li/Nash fight jumping on the KO'd Nash instead of Jingliang, letting Jingliang land a needless hammerfist. Is this because Colorado's rejection of the new rules?

This is not the showing either Aljo or Assuncao wanted.

I think it's time for Aljo to move camps, preferably maybe training with Almeida and Mark Henry. He has to learn how to create his own offense. I think at the top of the BW division, it's very hard to stay conservative all throughout a fight and win. I thought he edged Assuncao, but I have no problem really with the decision. Sterling's landed only one punch through the first couple rounds. Hard to win that way. 

Alvey vs. Marquardt was a decent enough fight. Marquardt was in great shape, but I don't think his body is responding well enough for him to show diverse techniques. Hence, why he basically fought in a boxing match close to the cage.

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I expected a lot more out of Aljamain Sterling tonight regardless.  His striking is starting to remind me of Phil Davis.

He was a decent enough in the first 2 or 3 minutes of the final round (landed the three good right hands) but him leaning back and just throwing low kicks the prior two rounds ain't exactly the ideal way to fight. I think someone like Mark Henry could clean that up and have him use more than just movement.

Jason Knight turned in a hell of a performance. Never let Caceres get set.