DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I'll never understand watching and analyzing stuff you don't enjoy. I really disliked Sons Of Anarchy despite the idea of a biker gang crime drama sounding neat and actors I was otherwise a fan of. I didn't break down why I disliked it so much, especially to people who for whatever reason dug it. I simply stopped watching it. Is that weird, or something?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'll never understand watching and analyzing stuff you don't enjoy. I really disliked Sons Of Anarchy despite the idea of a biker gang crime drama sounding neat and actors I was otherwise a fan of. I didn't break down why I disliked it so much, especially to people who for whatever reason dug it. I simply stopped watching it. Is that weird, or something?

I REALLY enjoy the show approximately 50% of the time!  I always queue it up, hoping that it’s one of the good ones.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars animated universe. Where should I start and what's mandatory/skipable?

At this point, Clone Wars and Rebels are pretty mandatory. You can probably easily find a list online of the essential episodes from each. Resistance is largely disregarded, but the other two are being referenced heavily in other media now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I don’t really care about some over arching plot or some big villain they have to deal with eventually. 

I just like living in this world. 

This. I grew up watching X-Files and Buffy monster of the week episodes, I'm loving Mando.

Each week is a pastiche of genres and I'm "here for it" as people are saying nowadays

• Episode 1 was a western 
  • Episode 2 was a monster horror 
  • Episode 3 was pirates vs jetpackers
  • Episode 4 was Sword of Doom/Kurosawa
  • Episode 5 played like a WW1/2 movie, it had trenches, a base, medical experiments and an aerial dogfight. 

I can't wait for the rom/com, murder mystery, film noir, zombie episodes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RandomAct said:

At this point, Clone Wars and Rebels are pretty mandatory. You can probably easily find a list online of the essential episodes from each. Resistance is largely disregarded, but the other two are being referenced heavily in other media now.

What's skippable:

* Resistance

* Anything LEGO (IE Freemaker adventures)

* Forces of Destiny

* Droids

* Ewoks

It’s just these flaws are too noticeable. 

Like why can’t Mando fuck already? Is Star Wars this sexless, that even the TV series about a underworld bounty hunter can’t fuck?

No one has sex in these shows. They made the Jedi into celibate monks. Look back at Attack of the Clones when Padme confesses to Anakin, it has only slightly more conviction than a trophy wife.

Mando's moment with Omera in the fourth episode is probably the lewdest thing you will ever see Mando doing in this series. 

Any sex that's happening in Star Wars is always private and behind closed doors. Case in point, Kanan and Hera, who were clearly making the sex throughout the whole run of the show, hence her giving birth to a human looking baby with green hair. But they always kept it behind closed doors. They rarely gave much away other than some looks and hints in the dialogue here and there.

Edited by TheVileOne

On 11/30/2020 at 4:48 PM, HumanChessgame said:

I haven't watched any of the Star Wars animated universe. Where should I start and what's mandatory/skipable?

The Clone Wars movie from before the series is pretty skippable, unless you really need to see Ahsoka first becoming Anakin's padawan. I'd recommend watching the series straight through, but if committing to 7 seasons is no bueno, I'm sure there are lists online of "essential" episodes. Even bad episodes or seemingly inconsequential episodes tend to seed things or introduce characters that become prominent later.

In general, the episodes focusing on the Clone soldiers are usually pretty good, the ones about the droids or Padme are usually pretty bad (one exception, I love the 5 episode arc of R2 and some other droids infiltrating an Empire ship). Don't sleep on the 2 Zillo beast episodes, Star Wars doing Godzilla/King Kong is super fun and it gets pretty emotional at the end.

The last 2 seasons are very good as things gets closer to Revenge of the Sith.

Rebels shouldn't be watched until after Clone Wars, but is probably a tighter, easier watch. Not surprising since it follows one crew's story, whereas Clone Wars has to cover so much more ground and characters.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Any sex that's happening in Star Wars is always private and behind closed doors. Case in point, Kanan and Hera, who were clearly making the sex throughout the whole run of the show, hence her giving birth to a human looking baby with green hair. But they always kept it behind closed doors. They rarely gave much away other than some looks and hints in the dialogue here and there.

There were a couple times where they were shown kissing in the background while someone zooms by in the foreground, but yeah, pretty chaste otherwise

In the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series, they hint at how Luke and Leia were concieved. Anakin goes to Padme's room upset because he has a scar on his cheek now, and they hug in silhouette until Padme turns the light off.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

In the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series, they hint at how Luke and Leia were concieved. Anakin goes to Padme's room upset because he has a scar on his cheek now, and they hug in silhouette until Padme turns the light off.

Was this the first micro-series or the second one?

There were a couple times where they were shown kissing in the background while someone zooms by in the foreground, but yeah, pretty chaste otherwise

They had smooch a moment in Season 3 as well, forgot about that.

Edited by TheVileOne

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Was this the first micro-series or the second one?

They had smooch a moment in Season 3 as well, forgot about that.

The second one, I think. When he had longer hair.

• Like 1

1. We finished S1 and the 8 year old was so matter-of-fact about the Darksaber. LIke a "Duh dad, of course it's the Darksaber. What else would it be?" reaction, which again shows how different her Star Wars experience is to anyone born in the 80s.

2. Let me try to make another analogy, because I was thinking about the Thrawn reveal and how it completely took me by surprise even though it absolutely shouldn't have. It was the only answer that made any logical sense knowing what you did about Ahsoka, but it felt like a complete surprise. I'd liken it to Daniel Bryan winning at WMXXX (or probably even to a greater degree, Benoit winning at XX, because Bryan was just so, so over). On some level, because of the nature of the fandom, it's not just about the babyface triumphing over the heel, but to some degree, the fans triumphing over the conservative and mainstream bent of the company. I think in wrestling that "Fans vs company" mentality has more or less destroyed how basic things operate. The only heel that anyone cares to see triumphed over anymore is Vince and Kevin Dunn, basically. That the smart fans are right and that they're wrong. But the first time a guy like Benoit or Eddy, someone who is supposed to be too small or too "pro wrestling", breaks through somehow and even as you're watching and you know it's logical for them to go over, you still doubt because it's not the way it's supposed to work. It's not supposed to be possible. It's against the usual rules. That's stuff like Ahsoka and Thrawn in live action, mainstream, front and center Star Wars. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was nice to see

Spoiler

Fett finally come into play. He was already badass enough during the fight before the armor. He straight up turned into the damn terminator when he got his armor back. I loved the stormtroopers getting the hell out of there after enough of them were stomped. The only slaughters in Star Wars I've seen worse than that involve Sith lords. Was also neat seeing Ming Na's assassin return. Always wondered if she actually died at the end of her episode in S1. Will be interesting to see if & how the rest of the pieces come together this season.

Just because a character who showed up for a combined, like, 5 seconds at the end of two shitty standalone episodes finally entered the main storyline does not suddenly make those shitty episodes any better or more meaningful.

I haven’t watched the episode yet, but I’m glad to hear that they just went straight to Tython and got on with things and brought Boba into the story proper.  But there were any number of more interesting ways they could have trailed the bread crumbs before bringing him in.

• Like 4