DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I think the show has been solid, but nothing amazing. I like Omega, but I also would have rather seen the group their own doing merc work and trying to find a life beyond the military for themselves.

• Like 1

I did think that last episode was good. Empire automaton or not, I did kind of feel bad for Crosshairs getting baked in that ion engine. I wonder if that damage is going to be permanent. 

I'm glad Cad Bane is back in play, but more or less, it underscores that this show is basically Clone Wars Season 8 in more ways than one. I hope there is a proper conclusion for Cad Bane this time. That dude needs to get what's coming to him. He's a dick.

They are really hard selling some crucial reveal for Omega and that she's special. I hope whatever that reveal is, that it's decent and makes sense. But I also hope it's not something dumb and show-breaking like she's clone vessel for Palpatine or nonsense like that.

• Like 2

We are slowly, slowly making it through Bad Batch because there's dozens of things the 8 year old would rather watch, like... you know, a million episodes of My Little Pony.

Anyway, this is interesting to read. I liked Russian Doll well enough but this show wasn't really on my radar:

https://www.avclub.com/leslye-headland-s-favorite-star-wars-is-the-star-wars-y-1847118044

• Like 1

I’m really feeling like I’m in good hands watching this show.

I guess some people might think of an episode here and there as “filler”.  Maybe they aren’t wrong.  But even with the shorter episodes spread out over a long period of time.  By the time they really shift it into high gear for the climax.  I’ll probably be very attached to these characters.  Part of that is time spent with them in this universe.  

Personally, I’m the type that always wants the group of characters in movies and shows to “go out like The Wild Bunch”.  Even if corporate Disney might frown on the idea for the money they invested in building these characters up.  Only for them to die on a suicide mission.  

Heh.  I just remembered.  That’s how Rouge One ended.  Ok maybe they might.  But twice?

Edited by Brandon Bones

OK, so I have a question, if the problem is that the Kaminoans need a first-generation clone to have more genetic material to work with...why is it so important to have Fett clone material?

Just saying, Jango Fett and Boba Fett were never exactly the ultimate powers in the universe. If you need a badass bounty hunter to get material from, I mean this galaxy is f'n crawling with them. 

Now, I preface that there could be a logical explanation for this, but I'm not understanding why they are in such desperate need for a clone's first-generation material. Also, they lost Boba and Jango Fett quite a while ago and were able to continue making clones right? So, I'm also not sure I buy the idea that first-gen clone material is that important. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for a reason for Bad Batch to exist, even though I've liked the appearances of Hera, Cad Bane and Kanan. It's so weird, because it is honestly a decent show, but I always forget about it until like Saturday.

Also, side note, I have been using Squatch soap for a hot minute now, and I just bought this bundle lol

https://drsquatch.com/pages/star-wars

• Sad 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:10 AM, RandomAct said:

Still waiting for a reason for Bad Batch to exist, even though I've liked the appearances of Hera, Cad Bane and Kanan. It's so weird, because it is honestly a decent show, but I always forget about it until like Saturday.

At this point, it seems like it’s purpose is to let Filoni connect the dots between Clone Wars and Rebels, and maybe the live action shows.

• Like 1

A lukewarm episode this week.  Hopefully, now that we are in the home stretch.  These last four episodes really need to tie things up.  

Omega needs a payoff that reflects the characters importance (though I suspect a longer arc is intended). 

Crosshair needs a reckoning with his brothers (the scenario most likely to have finality).

But of course the asshole in me wants them to go out in one season like the Wild Bunch.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, JonnyLaw said:

At this point, it seems like it’s purpose is to let Filoni connect the dots between Clone Wars and Rebels, and maybe the live action shows.

This is definitely the point of the series. We basically are seeing the starting bits of the pre-Rebellion with these last few episodes. I think its biggest issue is that Omega's story kind of slows down all of the other potential big and/or interesting connections they probably have planned. Beyond that we also know the Rebellion won't start in earnest for another 10-13 years so you kind of question how big anything else can or will get. Omega is fine, but she doesn't really feel like someone who will be important. 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, Brandon Bones said:

But of course the asshole in me wants them to go out in one season like the Wild Bunch.

I mean lets be honest here, none of the Bad Batch are surviving outside of Omega when this series ends.

I actually enjoyed the latest episode. It does make me wonder when we will finally see the Empire try to replace the clones in earnest. Not sure there is a cannon end for the clones in current continuity. 

Edited by Eivion

I forgot the series started with the Bad Batch and Kanan, so between that and  the last two eps, I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re literally connecting the dots between Clone Wars and Rebels with the formation of the Ghost crew.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

I actually enjoyed the latest episode. It does make me wonder when we will finally see the Empire try to replace the clones in earnest. Not sure there is a cannon end for the clones in current continuity. 

It's hinted at in Rebels when they meet up with Rex that the cloning vats were shut down fairly soon after the Empire tidied things up (so after a couple years, probably) and the ones who weren't killed mostly died of old age (I think it's somewhere between a 20 and 25 year life span for the Clones, but I don't remember if that's been Word of God'd yet).

• Like 1

Man...It's kinda weird to go this long without any movie news. At this point, it seems like most of the movies are in some sort of development hell. Rian and Taika are both busy for what looks like the next 5 or more years. We did get the Rogue Squadron tease, but I don't even think that has had any casting or filming yet. Star Wars seems like it's TV only for now.

Pretty sure the fan feelings on the Last Jedi and Rise made them slow down on Johnson's trilogy. Aside from the Knives Out sequel in the works he also has a tv series coming. I think he will be busy, but not so much he couldn't work on Star Wars if he wanted/needed to. With Taika its more a question of whether or not he even has his stuff worked out yet. Kind of felt like he got a film the same way Rian did where they loved his work and just asked him to come up with something. With Johnson its been a few years so he realistically should have something by now. With Taika I'm not sure its even been a year. Rogue Squadron comes out at the end of 2023. I didn't think we would hear much until next year when the shooting starts.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I thought this was a pretty good episode as we move towards the series finale.  I don’t believe a second season has been announced yet, so I’m a little worried we may be heading down a Rogue One type path.

They don't have to kill everyone to pull off a one season story arc. I suspect that at least one will die, Crosshair for sure and maybe the idiot one, but having the rest zoom off into the sunset is a perfectly acceptable ending.

• Like 1