DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I haven’t read the Thrawn books since... junior high, like 25 years ago, but his voice here wasn’t anything like I expected. A little off putting.

This is a different Thrawn than you met in those older books, to be honest.

• Like 2

Bill Burr is fucking dumb. It gets aggravating when people like him could take an extra 20 seconds to see that Gina wasn't just fired for the Nazi comments, but for the slew of gross transgender shit she said and continued to say despite being warned about it.

Gina is a piece of shit. These fucking dorks need to stop acting like it was one comment she got shit canned for.

• Like 7

On 3/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, Craig H said:

Bill Burr is fucking dumb. It gets aggravating when people like him could take an extra 20 seconds to see that Gina wasn't just fired for the Nazi comments, but for the slew of gross transgender shit she said and continued to say despite being warned about it.

Gina is a piece of shit. These fucking dorks need to stop acting like it was one comment she got shit canned for.

I don't think Bill is dumb.  I think Bill is terribly naïve.  

Bill probably believes most people are good and thinks that those who say offensive things are like him, and are trying to force folks to have difficult conversations by giving people the breathing space to confront their own implicit biases through the portal of humor. 

Any comedian worth his salt is inciteful by nature and Bill trades in uncomfortable truths for a living.

Gina Carano is not a comedian.   She is, as you say, a piece of shit.  She believes the venom she spews.

"But she was always super nice to me!"  Of course she was, Bill.  You're a white man.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't think Bill is dumb.  I think Bill is terribly naïve.  

He's neither...but he thinks that we are.

Seriously, his entire career is about pushing the lines on racial/ethnic jokes, he knows where the line is and as far as I know he's never really crossed it.  Seriously, he spends his time thinking about how to craft jokes that push the limits, and we all laugh because he is saying "dangerous" things.  For him to come out in defense of someone not only crossed those lines, but did it repeatedly after being asked to stop is not dumb or naïve...but dishonest and manipulative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, his entire career is about pushing the lines on racial/ethnic jokes, he knows where the line is and as far as I know he's never really crossed it.  Seriously, he spends his time thinking about how to craft jokes that push the limits, and we all laugh because he is saying "dangerous" things.  For him to come out in defense of someone not only crossed those lines, but did it repeatedly after being asked to stop is not dumb or naïve...but dishonest and manipulative.

I might agree with that if Bill didn't appear to be genuinely flummoxed as to why this is such a big deal.  So what if she's a sweet person on the set?  That's company time.  No one smart shows their ass on company time.

Sure, I believe that the majority of his concern about this matter is because he might get James Gunned out of his job over the inflammatory jokes he's made in the past and this is a move to cover his own ass.

If you sign Bill Burr up to your production and don't do your homework, you're asking for trouble.  Someone at Disney must've known who they were bringing on to the series.  You had to know what Bill Burr does for a living and how he does it.

I also think some of this is just Bill being a 1st Amendment advocate just like most comedian's tend to be and protecting Carano's right to say awful and inflammatory things because 'Merica.

I just wish he'd have picked a better hill to die on.  I feel that his character will also get future endeavored if he persists in defending the indefensible.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

No one smart shows their ass on company time.

You need to get back into the Private Sector if you think this is true.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

You need to get back into the Private Sector if you think this is true.

It is easier to shitcan people in the private sector than it is in civil service, or at least it was when I was in the private sector.

Anyone showing their ass on company time should be getting the fucking gate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is easier to shitcan people in the private sector than it is in civil service, or at least it was when I was in the private sector.

Anyone showing their ass on company time should be getting the fucking gate.

You'd think, but it takes a WHILE to get an HR case up and running to can someone unless you get a lot of people making the same complaint.  Mostly because NO ONE uses their own HR anymore.

Also harder when your Corporate is in TX or GA or some other backwards red state.

Edited by Raziel

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Also harder when your Corporate is in TX or GA or some other backwards red state.

It's harder to fire someone in a Red Right to Work state?  Color me surprised.

• Like 1

So, remember when we talked about how The Mandalorian was mediocre, and the only good reason it had for being pimped so hard by people is because it was a palate cleanser compared to the shit sandwich of the Prequel trilogy & the shit sundae of the Sequel trilogy?  And perhaps, at least in some small part, it was also because it follows every single emotional rut that the SW franchise had worn - i.e., stolen from Westerns and heist movies - in the past?

Yeah, me neither.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1

So I finished Rebels. I had been wondering where Ahsoka was, and the last couple episodes made me realize that she actually died fighting Vader. That didn’t register with me at the time since I knew she was still alive, so I assumed it was just a fake out.  Guess not.

I also knew from this thread and elsewhere that Ezra followed Thrawn somewhere, or something along those lines, but I was still surprised by the hyperdrive whales dragging them off to wherever they went.

Overall, I liked it more then Clone Wars, and it’s probably one of my favorite Star Wars things.  It left me wanting more and now I can’t wait for the Ahsoka show.

• Like 4