DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.51

Dolfan in NYC

The New England Patriots are the favorites to win Super Bowl LI.

The Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas installed the Patriots as 3-point favorites over the Atlanta Falcons.

The favorite has won the 32 of 50 Super Bowls outright.

The total was set at 58, making it the highest over/under in Super Bowl history.

I like the Patriots well enough, so I won't mind if they win.  Hope it's a better game than the two today.  Neither game was particularly interesting.

As a mild Patriots fan, I will get some enjoyment out of seeing Goodell squirm his way through the next two weeks, 

I was rooting for a Packers-Steelers final, so... boo.

Wonder what the over/under will be. 

First thoughts on game and I see New England winning with a score of 34 - 24. I hope I am wrong and will probably go back and forth but Atlanta's D needs to play like they are Texans against Brady and company. Matt Ryan needs to not get rattled as he is facing a really great D.

Hoping for a fun game. Go Falcons!

I don't understand the whole "copying the Texans defense is the key to beating the Pats" thing. Texans were easily the best D in the league to the point they carried an awful offense to the playoffs. It's like saying the key to the Knicks beating the Warriors is playing like the Cavs. The not having Lebron thing makes that kinda' tough.

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I don't understand the whole "copying the Texans defense is the key to beating the Pats" thing. Texans were easily the best D in the league to the point they carried an awful offense to the playoffs. It's like saying the key to the Knicks beating the Warriors is playing like the Cavs. The not having Lebron thing makes that kinda' tough.

Football analysis does have a tendency to over emphasis the importance of coaching over the importance of players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blitzkrieg said:

Football analysis does have a tendency to over emphasis the importance of coaching over the importance of players.

My favourite Phil Simms quote yesterday was something along the lines of "The Steelers are great at defending the screen, their offense runs them and they practise against them every week." Because no one else runs screens....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elizium said:

My favourite Phil Simms quote yesterday was something along the lines of "The Steelers are great at defending the screen, their offense runs them and they practise against them every week." Because no one else runs screens....

Phil is an idiot. . . .

• Like 1

A lot of folks look at the Falcons defensive #'s and make assumptions, but if you look pre and post bye week, the numbers get much more impressive for the Falcons. MattVP is playing so well that the Falcons haven't turned the ball over at all, and they're getting takeaways at a nice rate. The Falcons D has a lot of 1st and 2nd year players on it, and they improved vastly as the season went on. They also bring pressure from lots of different places and aren't afraid to play man, so that no talent ass clown chris hogan wont just be running up seams all game. The Pats are also 23rd in the league against a team's #1 WR, and Julio Jones is the best WR in the galaxy. I also question the Pats' ability to generate consistent pressure and protect Tom Brady, and the Falcons defense has been putting QB's on the ground with shocking regularity the last few weeks. I understand people lokking at the Patriots vs. the upstart Falcons and thinking "Pats easy, right?" But Matt Ryan's the best QB in the league this year, and has slayed Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers on the way here. One more "all time great" to put down before he's done. 

Don't make me start rooting for the Patriots. I swear if that happens you will unleash a fury unlike any ever seen before. Mostly I'll sob and hug a homemade waifu pillow of Brett Favre I found thrown away in a dumpster.

• Like 1

Another thing I hate is when these analysts say "Bill is going to focus on the best player and take him out."  There's a such thing as a player being too good to take out.  I'm sure Bill focused a lot of attention on Terrell Owens in that Super Bowl and the Patriots found out that even on one leg Owens was too good. He kept the Eagles in the game.

I think Julio is on that level. Also, the difference between the Falcons and Steelers is that Pittsburgh didn't have much outside of Brown.  Besides Julio, Falcons have Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman and Coleman.  All of which can make big plays. 

But what can we expect from their defense. I know they've been okay of late but facing Brady and this system is a different animal.

8 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

I think the idea was bring strong A gap pressure with your best pass rusher (see signature) and mix up the coverage to confuse Brady, which also included rushing two lineman and dropping everyone else into coverage in a mix of zone and man coverage. But mostly A gap pressure. And hitting Brady really really hard (see signature).

I don't think the blueprint has changed in the last 9 years. Control the clock on offense, get consistent pressure without blitzing, cash in a couple big (lucky?) plays along the way. Run the ball from the two yard line.

1 hour ago, just drew said:

FWIW, 6 of the 17 QB's the Pats have seen this year were backups. I don't think their defense is as good as some think it is.

Actually, I think it's only 5, and 3 of those were teams who had QB issues all year (Browns, Rams and 49ers).  The other two that I saw were the Steelers in week 7 and the Dolphins in week 17.  And we saw how well the Patriots did against the Steelers on Sunday...

• Like 1