DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: San Antonio *SPOILERS*

The Natural

The card:

NXT Championship. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Bobby Roode.

NXT Tag Team Championship. Johnny Gargano/Tomasso Ciampa (c) vs. Akam/Rezar.

NXT Women's Championship. Asuka (c) vs. Nikki Cross vs. Billie Kay vs. Peyton Royce.

Tye Dillinger vs. Eric Young.

Roderick Strong vs. Andrade Almas.

I would prefer Asuka vs. Nikki, but I'm interested in seeing how the fatal 4-way plays out.

Nakamura/Roode feels like a styles clash that could end up pretty interesting if it goes well.

I'm probably looking most forward to DIY vs. AoP oddly enough. I like what I saw from their previous match and think they can top it.

Tye/Young doesn't really interest me at all. Strong/Almas only interest me a little more. I like Almas, but they have done Strong a disservice not really trying to come up with something for his character while Aries is injured. At this point I'm just not that interested in him.

• Like 1

This is probably the least interesting TakeOver in recent memory. The onyl match that I think I care about is Tye vs. Young and that's just because I'm waiting to see how(if) they pull the trigger on a push for Tye with some wins. AoP doesn't really interest me. Roode is run until his music stops and Nakamura as been phoning it in for weeks. Seeing how a certain new knockout artist potentially mixes into the main even holds some promise I guess. I hate not being interested in a TakeOver as I usually love the shit out of them.

DIY/AoP had a really good TV match, so I'm confident that will deliver (as long as AoP don't KO them with sloppy work).

I think Roddy/Almas could be really good, even though it has no heat and the Roddy face turn is weird.

But I can't see any way Nak/Roode is any good (at least not for a Takeover main), and Tye/Young is some TNA shit.

So the show basically hinges on whether the women's 4-way can overperform expectations.

FWIW Roode-Nakamura headlined a house show I was at last month, and it turned out quite good. I get a bad feeling Roddy vs. Andrade will end up a lot like a match I loved from last year, but that got a completely dismal reaction from the live crowd: Aries vs. Baron Corbin. I thought that was terrific, but the audience was just dead -- and that's exactly how I feel about Andrade. I love his heel shtick, but it doesn't seem to be getting any kind of response. 

As for DIY vs. Authors of Pain, I hope both teams are studying Rockers vs. Twin Towers from Mania V on a loop in the days leading up to Takeover. 

Bayley had title matches with Eva Marie, Alexa Bliss, Emma (Arnold Classic) and Carmella that I can recall.

So yeah she's certainly had more defences on air than Asuka, though that's partly due to a lack of meaningful match-ups.

Clearly the original plan was to have Ember Moon go over in Texas, but I'm guessing they got nervous about the fan's possible reaction to Moon beating Asuka.

I suspect Asuka retains here, but I can see Peyton & Billie going over - they *should* go over by any logic other than wrestling logic.

There still isn't anyone at Asuka's level and they booked themselves into that mess. Nikki Cross stealing the title by interference would make better sense at this point. It would have a built in rematch AND two face challengers (Ember and Liv Morgan) waiting in the wings.

31 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

The first four way broke up Becky/Sasha as a team, so I wonder is similar seeds will be planted here with Billie and Peyton.

Gotta be. I thought the same thing. I wonder where the face/heel split falls between those two. They both have the "mean girl of NXT" thing down. I'm not sure who has the most face potential out of the two.

Also, does Nak drop the strap to Bobby or do they wait for a "a certain portly knock out artist" to take it off him. Bobby is about as exciting as a glass of milk in the ring but a run as a chicken shit heel champ could work in the short run.

Very quick math (not counting house shows)

Asuka - 7 title defenses (including San Antonio)

Bayley - 6 (though she has at least 4 defenses at "festivals" like the Arnold Classic and Aftershock which were quasi shown on TV)

Charlotte - 6 

Sasha Banks - 4 (though she has at least 3 defenses at the Arnold Classic, Wrestlemania Axxess and that Philly show they headline that were all shown in at least highlights)

Paige - 3

6 hours ago, Sin Carne said:

Clearly the original plan was to have Ember Moon go over in Texas, but I'm guessing they got nervous about the fan's possible reaction to Moon beating Asuka.

I assumed it was always to hold off on Ember/Asuka until the Mania takeover, but it still doesn't seem like she's at Asuka's level quite yet.

6 hours ago, Ramsey said:

Gotta be. I thought the same thing. I wonder where the face/heel split falls between those two. They both have the "mean girl of NXT" thing down. I'm not sure who has the most face potential out of the two.

Also, does Nak drop the strap to Bobby or do they wait for a "a certain portly knock out artist" to take it off him. Bobby is about as exciting as a glass of milk in the ring but a run as a chicken shit heel champ could work in the short run.

I don't think they split yet, but Billie was an amazing babyface back in Shimmer to where I was a little surprised how effective she's been as a heel. I think she's great at both. Figured Roode has zero chance here, but as a huge fan of his TNA title run I would dig that.

38 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Did they announce if the women's match is one fall or an elimination match?  I could see Asuka dropping the title but not taking the fall herself.

The WWE website is billing it as a Fatal 4-way so one fall

I feel like Almas has to win this match.  He already did a bunch of jobs as a face.  If he can't build some momentum as a heel, he's pretty much dead in the water.

Side note:  Roddy has still been acting kinda dickish as the face in this Almas feud.  Not sure if that's just because he's bad at being a face or maybe they're building to them developing Mutual Heel Respect and joining forces.

• Like 1

Tonight at the Houston show, they did a run through of the women's match.  It was all right.  Nikki played a tweener.  Royce and Kay worked more like a tag team than opponents.  Asuka and Cross are so much better than Kay and Royce that it's not even funny.  The eventual Cross/Asuka singles match should be great, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

I wonder if it's too un-NXT/swervy to have one of Billie or Payton take the fall immediately for the other, and then have Regal restart the match as elimination and give us a lengthy Asuka/Cross after tossing the other Aussie. 

It kinda is, which is sad cuz I feel like the only reason one of the Aussies shouldn't pin the other is that they can't agree on who should get the win.